Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 10:28 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Its not necessarily poor investor behavior. Poor investor behavior is selling after a stock goes down, not up. I'm selling after stock has gone up most times.
selling after a stock goes up can still be poor investor behavior.

i just did a quick calculation of my investment assets and savings. so over the past 14 years i have saved and invested money. as of today, my investments make up about 47% of my brokerage account's value while money that i have saved makes up 53%. so by diligently investing my money and trying not to act incorrectly i am in a situation where almost half of my investment assets is appreciation in investments.

so it has worked as i see it and im sticking to the plan, like i said before.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 07-10-2018 at 10:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 10:32 AM

18,047 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
This is a clear example of not using a risk management strategy for your individual allocations. Before you enter a position you should determine how much profit or percentage your strategy is targeting. From there you can use other techniques such as trailing stops to mitigate moves within your timeframe & manage profit (s). This would stop the anxiety around upward & downward movement. Especially with the, it will eventually go up thought process.

Good luck.
That works if one is using ETFs or buying individual stocks. Can't do stops and limits with mutual funds.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:40 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Anyone else like me? When I buy and it goes down, I just tell myself it will go up eventually. But when I buy and it starts going up a decent amount, I'm afraid to stay in because I think it will crash back down. Kind of like the last 2 day rally. Now I'm really anxious for a big down day because it just went up a decent amount.

What you're experiencing is part of behavioral science: loss aversion.

Studies show that the pain of losing is psychologically about twice as powerful as the pleasure of gaining. You're anxious because you're anticipating the pain of losing.

Or put another way, people tend to favor not losing $5 over finding a $5 bill on the street.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:49 AM

18,047 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Quote:
Anyone else like me? When I buy and it goes down, I just tell myself it will go up eventually. But when I buy and it starts going up a decent amount, I'm afraid to stay in because I think it will crash back down. Kind of like the last 2 day rally. Now I'm really anxious for a big down day because it just went up a decent amount.
This is a big waving red flag that you're watching the market way too often for your own good. Do you consider yourself a long term investor (long term meaning for the next decade at least)?

If yes, you need to discipline yourself to stop watching what the market is doing each day. Only look once a month *unless* you are making specific shorter term trades. If you really want to be bad a$$, only look quarterly and adjust when you need to.

Get busy with other things in your life, people, interests, not money; assume you will have enough money to survive and thrive over time. Do you have a budget you follow, generally? If yes, stick to that. If no, put one in place that is reasonable and follow it.

I know of no other way to manage what you describe other than being in a coma.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:24 AM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
What you're experiencing is part of behavioral science: loss aversion.

Studies show that the pain of losing is psychologically about twice as powerful as the pleasure of gaining. You're anxious because you're anticipating the pain of losing.

Or put another way, people tend to favor not losing $5 over finding a $5 bill on the street.
You didn't comprehend my post. I said it get MORE anxious when my stocks are going up than WHEN THEY GO DOWN. I should be more anxious when losing than when anticipating losing.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
selling after a stock goes up can still be poor investor behavior.

i just did a quick calculation of my investment assets and savings. so over the past 14 years i have saved and invested money. as of today, my investments make up about 47% of my brokerage account's value while money that i have saved makes up 53%. so by diligently investing my money and trying not to act incorrectly i am in a situation where almost half of my investment assets is appreciation in investments.

so it has worked as i see it and im sticking to the plan, like i said before.
Well selling anytime can be good or bad investor behavior. I just depends on what happens after.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:52 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,252,433 times
Figure out your pucker factor, put your money in a fund or funds that fits that, set it and forget it, except for adding funds, what will be will be.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:57 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Well selling anytime can be good or bad investor behavior. I just depends on what happens after.
well, if it depends on what happens after then it is a matter of luck. if it is good behavior then it is part of a sound long term strategy that doesnt change with the wind.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:23 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
You didn't comprehend my post. I said it get MORE anxious when my stocks are going up than WHEN THEY GO DOWN. I should be more anxious when losing than when anticipating losing.

I understood your post perfectly. Every word.

Your anxiety stems from a fear of losing. Period. There's a lot of science behind this.

Old 07-10-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I understood your post perfectly. Every word.

Your anxiety stems from a fear of losing. Period. There's a lot of science behind this.
MY question was why am I less anxious when I am losing money when its going down and more anxious when it is going up and I am making money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing