Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 05:58 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,770,251 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm 30y/o and have a traditional IRA at Vanguard. I was always told that having a Roth IRA is better when you're younger so when I started working at a new company, I told them I wanted it to be a roth. Well, I no longer work at that company and I thought I would combine the two accounts so I could get a higher interest.. especially since I contribute some money into it monthly.. I was going to rollover the roth but I was told I would get taxed on it again when I retire and take the money out... one option is to not touch it but I wouldn't be able to contribute anymore money into it... another option is to open a new roth IRA with Vanguard and keep them separate.... it just occurred to me that I could also change my current traditional IRA to a roth and pay the taxes now so I can combine the roth and contribute money into the combined amount. Would this be the best option? Are there any downsides to switching over from a traditional to a roth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 06:04 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,041 times
A Roth is definitely preferable to a traditional IRA but as to it making sense to combine them well you need to do some conjecture on whether your marginal tax rate now is less that what it would be at age 70.5 or whenever you decide to start taking the money out.

Personally, if the tax amount is not high I would be inclined to just move all the funds to a Roth.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:52 PM

6,624 posts, read 7,334,922 times
Go to the broker that the ROTH is at and tell them you want to roll the IRA to the ROTH. They will take care of the paperwork for you. You will probably have the option to sell all in the IRA or to move the securities. Makes no different on taxes. Vanguard may withhold 20% for taxes. If they do you need to put in your 20% otherwise you will have a penality to pay on the 20%. Key is you never have the IRA money sent to you, it goes directly to the broker.

I do not think combining will get you more interest. You should be investing in equities and no bonds.

You could also have Vanguard open a ROTH for you and roll the IRA into it. Then have Vanguard roll the other ROTH into Vanguard.
It is easy to do so just ask the broker to make sure you have the steps down. You will probably do everything on line.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:44 PM

6,626 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Given your age, definitely the right move..

Old 07-26-2018, 08:10 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Be aware that withdrawals from a Traditional IRA, before age 59 1/2, are subject to a 10% penalty.

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans...ns-withdrawals

Old 07-26-2018, 09:25 PM

6,626 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Be aware that withdrawals from a Traditional IRA, before age 59 1/2, are subject to a 10% penalty.

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans...ns-withdrawals
You're not withdrawing, rather converting. Can be done without penalty as long as you pay taxes on conversion.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:22 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,770,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I do not think combining will get you more interest. You should be investing in equities and no bonds.
Why do you say that? Wouldn't I get more interest back on 40K combined than two accounts with 20K in them.. and one of them I can't even contribute to?

Old 07-27-2018, 08:38 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
no .....
everything is a percentage on total dollars no matter how you divvy it up . unless there are fees for minimum .

why interest and not growth vehicles ?

Old 07-27-2018, 10:24 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
The difference is, of course, pre-tax versus after-tax dollars. In a traditional 401K, you invest what would otherwise be tax-dollars in your portfolio - hoping that the greater growth over the years, will more than compensate for your tax bill later. On the other hand, investing the same dollar-for-dollar after-tax amount in a Roth 401K, means you must invest more of your own money now.

For a young person, a Roth is often considered a better investment vehicle, since you have longer for the money to compound before taking it out (at retirement), plus have the flexibility to take-out funds earlier, without the penalties associated with a 401K. Since you have already paid taxes on your Roth 401K dollars, you are not required to pay taxes again later (except, perhaps, capital gains taxes).

Old 07-27-2018, 01:07 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The difference is, of course, pre-tax versus after-tax dollars. In a traditional 401K, you invest what would otherwise be tax-dollars in your portfolio - hoping that the greater growth over the years, will more than compensate for your tax bill later. On the other hand, investing the same dollar-for-dollar after-tax amount in a Roth 401K, means you must invest more of your own money now.

).

you actually are not investing more of your own money in the roth 401k . you are actually investing the same. but you need more pretax dollars with the roth to pay the taxes up front .

6660 pretax dollars in the 25% bracket is 6660 in the traditional and 5k in the roth with rest paying the taxes up front
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing