Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2018, 07:22 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I agree there is a lot of dead weight but if companies offer top dollar they will get the top talent. Companies want top talent for a pittance, that isn't going to happen. I recently did an indeed.com job search and was shocked at how low some of the offered salaries were compared to the job and experience requirements. Some of the listed salaries was what I was making 20 years ago, I wish I was joking.

If companies want top talent they need to pay top tier prices for it. Yes, top talent is very expensive and everyone wants a "deal" but you have to play by the laws of demand and supply.

My company has 3 open positions, we have been struggling to fill those positions forever because of all the poor quality people that show up for interviews. But then I tell them to increase the pay and they give a zillion excuses and scoff at it but then they complain that there is nobody out there. You have to pay what the market bears if you want good talent, there is no way around it.

The failure to acquire talent in many of these companies boils down to their exceptionally poor management. They are themselves to blame for it.
I have been following Indeed and Dice and some other job sites for months for jobs in category my SIL would fit...
I see the same jobs advertised for the same companies---and most of them from what I know of his employment history and salary ARE about half price for qualifications they want...
So I think they are just trolling...
Seeing who they can pick up cheap
Your best jobs always come from P2P contacts in my experience not a job site

Right now we have friend whose husband is CFO for small company that makes devices to stop snoring and improve sleep apnea--investment money from Australia started it
Only difference is this device is done through a dentist--not a doctor--and not OTC product
The company has done well overseas where most countries have single payer health insurance for citizens and companies can upgrade for their employees...
Here in US this is not a great business model and they started their advertising only on radio--
Not smart--maybe that works overseas but not good model to drive traffic in the US
They have closed several mfg plants they had because sales are too low...
So he is looking for another job...
Has headhunter whom he has worked with before who says there are just not any jobs at his level
And this is in DFW area which is hot jobs market
I don't know if the headhunter is shining him on as they say or what but he is CPA, very smart, variety of experience with smaller and larger companies---no public accounting w/CPA firm though just corporate work

I would think based on his background and his smarts he would be a good fit for almost any company but so far no luck...

Old 10-20-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
It might not be the end of the bull market but "volatility" is back - it's a trader's market.
Bogleheads would just tell you don't get out of the boat when the water is rough...

Old 10-20-2018, 09:38 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Your best jobs always come from P2P contacts in my experience not a job site.
I was an engineering consultant in my previous career, and ALL my job referrals were via social networking. I mean the old kind: you keep in touch via phone. When you need work you phone your contacts and tell them you're looking. Eventually you find one who knows of a job opening, and prints out your resume and hands it to his boss with a personal recommendation. Consultants know that any company's HR department is the kiss of death. You go in the side door or not at all.

Old 10-21-2018, 12:44 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times
many analysts sounding alarms that major technical breakdown has occured in the s&p 500 and to expect a major pullback, we will see.. next week is going to be interesting!

Old 10-21-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
many analysts sounding alarms that major technical breakdown has occured in the s&p 500 and to expect a major pullback, we will see.. next week is going to be interesting!
I think this week is going to be terrifying. I've been running scenarios since Friday's close (my own intuitive methods, not anything as mundane as charting) and every scenario I run except best case comes up snake eyes for me.

Old 10-21-2018, 10:00 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,207,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I think this week is going to be terrifying.
LOL

this thread cracks me up!

Old 10-21-2018, 10:20 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I think this week is going to be terrifying. I've been running scenarios since Friday's close (my own intuitive methods, not anything as mundane as charting) and every scenario I run except best case comes up snake eyes for me.
So the question I asked of you before still remains unanswered. Your plan was to rid yourself of your rentals and retire on the money you cash out on. I think you had planned to put all of it in the market. What will you do at this point?

Old 10-21-2018, 10:31 AM

I'm getting rid of my last rental because I just don't want to be a landlord any more. I've been getting half great tenants, and maybe 1/4 tenants from hell lately. I just want my money out and my tenant hassles gone. That is 100% guaranteed to happen, and the only question is the house sale negotiation and COE date (January or February are most likely).

My rentals produced income but not enough to affect my retirement planning, other than now, freeing up time I had previously spent dealing with tenants, contractors, Realtors, etc. I'll have more hours of leisure time and no landlord headaches.

No way is it going into the stock market. I'm not putting another cent in the stock market. I might even cash out. The risk:reward ratio is getting too steep for me.

I'll tell ya what happened after close of market Friday. Until then my week is fraught with tough financial decisions, including an opportunity to increase one of my investments (a promissory note at 8%, pays me monthly fixed income).

I don't know what the hell is gonna happen this week. My plan is to proceed based upon market conditions. I spent much of yesterday calculating various financial scenarios, including complete divestment of my stock market portfolio. Maybe the bears were right.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:07 PM

I am no analyst--and don't really know which "analyst" makes the most accurate predictions
Even the Oracle at Delphi gave coded messages from the gods that caused more anxiety/confusion than surety from my reading of the classics...

I just read article by Larry Swedroe who is respected by many names in the game that said there is not really much correlation between a 5-6% loss in any week and the return over the next 6mo to a year...
I will look for the link

What worried me really is that apparently so much of what is in the market is in the market on MARGIN--not what people have invested straight up---
So when they have margin calls and they don't have cash (I assume) to meet the call, they have to sell
And you don't get a margin call when prices are going up---only on the downside...
Now maybe they have profits within their margin holdings or their account--so selling might not mean a total LOSS of gains but selling in a down market normally exacerbates the effect and pushes the price further down...
And of course it takes multiple people caught in this scenario to make the effect worse...
But looked like lot of margin obligations on chart I saw
And no telling how that amount of obligation is sectored into the market...

Has anyone considered that aspect of having another steep drop this week?

We still have not deployed the money we put into grandson's 529 first of last week--
And we have more than 5 yrs of living expenses in cash--
We just have to start RMDs next year out of husband's IRA--

Our FA just does not believe in doing things like shorting the market even for short term...

Old 10-21-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Has anyone considered that aspect of having another steep drop this week?
A lot of cash investors might decide to lock in a reduced but acceptable profit rather than riding the market down. Get all the profits realized and then watch the market for a better buy-in.

You either:

1.) Get to buy back in at a lower price

2.) Timed the market perfectly and sold at what turns out to be an upturn and the stock is worth zillions in a few years.

I guess most who sell will do a bit of both, sell some off to lock in some gains, and ride some down further on the "hold 'em" theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing