Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 08:45 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,697,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Why let RMD amounts and timing dictate your portfolio holdings? Your holdings should reflect the entire gamut of your risk and investment strategies. If you are that uncertain about what 2019 may hold, then maybe you consider what your holdings are now and change them accordingly.

By the way, I take RMDs and determine what to cash out on that basis. I have no current plans to change my investment mix in the near future, but I think about a lot. The biggest risk for those of us taking RMDs, which I am sure is your concern, is that the year end balance driving the next year's withdrawals will decline for some reason and you will be forced to withdraw a larger amount from a smaller pie. If I believed that was the probable event, I'd cash out today and buy back everything when the price was much lower. Alas, I don't have that knowledge and have decided to sit tight for the time being.
Since your RMDs are calculated based on balance of total IRAs or 403b or whatever, the amount you withdraw from a smaller TOTAL sum would be smaller than if the total of the retirement accounts had grown despite having an RMD taken out...

Isn't that accurate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 08:50 AM

106,270 posts, read 108,257,613 times
the percentage increases as you age . it can be as high as almost 10% off each years balance .

RMD - Required Minimum IRA Distribution - The Money Alert

Old 10-22-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
RMDs are approximately 3.8% of your funds. So, since the Rule-of-Thumb withdrawals is pegged at 4% a year it is not a terrible burden on your accounts. I would only place about 6 months living expenses in cash as there is no return. My strategy at the moment is to place the 4% into tax free bonds.

Of course, that is only my opinion at the present time. It might change as the economy does its rollercoaster course thru space...
they are only that low in the first 2 years . the percentage goes up as you age.at 70.50 they are 3.65% , by age 80 they are 5.35% , at 92 they are 9.80%

Old 10-22-2018, 10:28 AM

4,840 posts, read 4,757,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Since your RMDs are calculated based on balance of total IRAs or 403b or whatever, the amount you withdraw from a smaller TOTAL sum would be smaller than if the total of the retirement accounts had grown despite having an RMD taken out...

Isn't that accurate?

Of course that is true, as your RMD is calculated based on your age and the Dec 31 account balance in the previous year. That's the flip side of what I said, but not the concern raised by the OP.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:44 AM

if your spouse is 10 years younger they calculate rmd's differently on a different chart . had i known that i would have gone to the local college for a wife .

"say ,did i tell you ,that you look just like my next wife ?" ha ha ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing