Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 03:41 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,344,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post
The average S&P stock is down over 20% this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi
The S&P 500 is NOT down 20% this year!

Quote:
That member said the S&P 500 is down 20% THIS YEAR, which isn't true

Quote:
saying the S&P 500 is down 20% this year is completely false and misleading

Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat
I didn't say the index was down 20%

You said the average S&P stock is down over 20%

That is an actual, precise quote.

Can you help me understand why you think saying the average S&P stock is down over 20% is a different fundamental concept than saying the S&P 500 index is down over 20%?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 03:47 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
The failed blue chip stock graveyard is filled with one time blue chip stocks that ended up worthless or close to it . . most took a dip in a downturn and no one believed their stock was in any worse shape than any other going through rough times . but then the major problems surface and at that point it is a lost cause .
Or, as Warren Buffet likes to say, "when the tide goes out you can see who's been swimming naked".

Old 11-27-2018, 03:48 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Common guys, let’s not bickering. Some body made a mistake somewhere, who cares.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:00 PM

806 posts, read 603,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
You said the average S&P stock is down over 20%

That is an actual, precise quote.

Can you help me understand why you think saying the average S&P stock is down over 20% is a different fundamental concept than saying the S&P 500 index is down over 20%?
From the article I posted...about 189 companies accounted for 80% of the SPX value in 2016. That number is probably low now considering the moves just in FANGMAN since then. Not every stock in the index is equally weighted, not even close.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/i-...und-2016-05-09

Edit: Here is an article from Oct 10th. SPX is down another 100 handles since this post so it's way off. 66% of S&P stocks were in correction or bear market territory then. So many stocks are down well over 20% this year! You are doing well OP so look on the bright side.

Ok, I am done with this one.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/10/more...orrection.html

Last edited by myname_isborat; 11-27-2018 at 04:32 PM..

Old 11-27-2018, 06:47 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,344,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post
From the article I posted...about 189 companies accounted for 80% of the SPX value in 2016. That number is probably low now considering the moves just in FANGMAN since then. Not every stock in the index is equally weighted, not even close.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/i-...und-2016-05-09

Edit: Here is an article from Oct 10th. SPX is down another 100 handles since this post so it's way off. 66% of S&P stocks were in correction or bear market territory then. So many stocks are down well over 20% this year! You are doing well OP so look on the bright side.

Ok, I am done with this one.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/10/more...orrection.html

Slow your roll. My question was neither intended as, nor phrased as, an attack. Save the

I legitimately wanted to know why you thought it was different, and you answered rationally-a small number of stocks (highly weighted) may not be down as far as the 'average' stock. That would result in the average stock being down, but not the index.

Question answered. Thanks.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:54 PM

7,633 posts, read 8,699,793 times
My small Roth IRA account has never grown much, then shortly before this crash I wanted to move Amazon from taxable to IRA to save taxes and to grow the IRA, so I bought some Amazon in my Roth near the peak. Now my Roth IRA has shrunk even more

Old 11-27-2018, 10:16 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
My small Roth IRA account has never grown much, then shortly before this crash I wanted to move Amazon from taxable to IRA to save taxes and to grow the IRA, so I bought some Amazon in my Roth near the peak. Now my Roth IRA has shrunk even more
The perils of Roth vs taxable.vs IRA

Old 11-27-2018, 10:32 PM

7,633 posts, read 8,699,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
The perils of Roth vs taxable.vs IRA
I only have Roth (when I say IRA I meant Roth IRA). I have never found the best way to grow it. Bond funds don't grow much, equity funds don't grow enough, stocks, well, I either bought the wrong stocks or the right ones at the wrong time. The account balance is almost the same as the original contributions.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:46 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
I only have Roth (when I say IRA I meant Roth IRA). I have never found the best way to grow it. Bond funds don't grow much, equity funds don't grow enough, stocks, well, I either bought the wrong stocks or the right ones at the wrong time. The account balance is almost the same as the original contributions.
I sell cash covered puts and pocket the premium. Most of these options expire worthless. That’s how I grow my HSA and my kid’s Roth IRA account. 25% for the less than two years, 30% for my HSA.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:44 AM

806 posts, read 603,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Slow your roll. My question was neither intended as, nor phrased as, an attack. Save the

I legitimately wanted to know why you thought it was different, and you answered rationally-a small number of stocks (highly weighted) may not be down as far as the 'average' stock. That would result in the average stock being down, but not the index.

Question answered. Thanks.
Sorry. I got worked up last night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing