Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 05:32 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times

Advertisements

It's been a wild ride! If only we knew that was going to happen and could have sold just before the drop and then bought back at the bottom. I know, keep dreaming.

Wonder what OP did?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 02:59 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
"if" ha ha ha ..

most investors have tried selling out in anticipation of being last man standing and usually end up buying back in at a point that makes it either a worse deal or so little gained that it was hardly worth trying .

so they learn not to think that dream we all have is not how things generally play out ..

usually they have all this cash , we get some strong rally's which they call dead cat bounces , only this cat has many lives ..so they wait for a favorable entry point which never comes and they eventually throw in the towel and buy in much higher

Old 02-16-2019, 04:28 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
I'm guessing that the OP did nothing and wound up riding the market back up. It's now a better time to hedge for them than it was 3,000 dow points ago.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:52 AM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
so just PM, the OP. If inquiring minds want to know.
With this recovery, I am going to look harder at various conversions and transfers of existing annuities.

Last edited by leastprime; 02-16-2019 at 10:06 AM..

Old 02-16-2019, 11:09 AM

940 posts, read 968,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
My recovery was complete midday today when I hit and then exceeded my previous high portfolio balance of Oct. 4. What a whirlwind.
My high was Dec 2nd. We are +$120k from that previous high and over +$350k from our low on Dec 24. Crazy.

Fingers crossed it keeps up. Aside for 2007-2009 I haven't really seen a down year, well, ever, since starting to invest.

This will stop at some point, right? It just seems like you can't miss if all you do is put your money in. Waaaay too good to be true, almost like a Ponzi scheme at this point.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:42 AM

13,643 posts, read 9,698,765 times
My European holdings are still 10%-15% below the high of January 2018, which is itself below the high of May 2014, which is still WAY below the high of October 2007. In fact, said holdings are roughly at their 2003 levels. So, when you guys talk about relentless monotonic climbs and V-shaped recoveries, let's be specific about which markets we're discussing.

And even in the US, which for some bizarre reason totally dominates this Forum and really this entire Site, small-caps have just now (as of Friday the 15th of February) come to within 10% of their all-time high.

Really, the only market that's nearly recovered is US large-caps... and even the mighty S&P 500 is still 5%-6% below its all-time high. If this is a resounding recovery, I wonder what a milquetoast one looks like.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:14 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
My European holdings are still 10%-15% below the high of January 2018, which is itself below the high of May 2014, which is still WAY below the high of October 2007. In fact, said holdings are roughly at their 2003 levels. So, when you guys talk about relentless monotonic climbs and V-shaped recoveries, let's be specific about which markets we're discussing.

And even in the US, which for some bizarre reason totally dominates this Forum and really this entire Site, small-caps have just now (as of Friday the 15th of February) come to within 10% of their all-time high.

Really, the only market that's nearly recovered is US large-caps... and even the mighty S&P 500 is still 5%-6% below its all-time high. If this is a resounding recovery, I wonder what a milquetoast one looks like.
I have a good chunk of IEMG and BOTZ (bought about a year ago) so cry me a river.

Seriously though, point taken, but I think most of us focus on mainstream US stocks/funds. And it's all relative, but we are certainly in a better position today than a few months ago and if it the momentum keeps up, we may be hitting new highs later this year.

Old 02-17-2019, 07:38 AM

27,547 posts, read 28,630,498 times
The United States stock market is the gold standard for stock markets in the world.

That is why it dominates this forum.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:33 AM

13,643 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Persistent, substantial outperformance by the US stock market has gone from the odd to the bewildering to the incomprehensible. It's as if anything that the rest of the world does - especially Europe - turns to, well, manure... and not of the fertilizing kind. Anything in America is pure, wholesome and prosperous. It is getting exasperating....

As for forum-domination, it may be an overwhelmingly cultural thing. Look at the politics forum. Invariably, it is US politics. Look at the relationships forum. Invariably it is about dating and marriage and divorce in the US. It's as if an internet-wall were built around American concerns, with this forum placed inside the wall.

But back to investment. Thus best strategy has evidently been the S&P 500, to the exclusion of anything else, be it small cap, international, or bonds. All S&P 500, all the time. Odd, isn't it?

Old 02-17-2019, 09:39 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
International investing has to many other variables and that is why it is difficult and unpredictable.. foreign markets can be up but with a strong dollar ,end up performing poorly ...throw in trade issues and politics and you have a lot more head winds then just an American market.. I would only buy actively manage international funds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing