Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 07:08 PM

1,417 posts, read 733,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Investing based on the emperors new clothes because one does not understand how things actually work or what they mean is never a good idea if it gives you a false sense of security
Interesting, it appears then, I misunderstood the overall point your were attempting to make. I thought you were attempting to convey the idea that in theory, and reality, a stock dividend is essentially reflected in a corresponding reduction in share price so you are in effect harvesting what would otherwise be an increase in stock appreciation.

But now in reading what you wrote, even with the caveat you give of "false sense of security" seems to imply you strongly disapprove of dividend strategies rather than just saying it doesn't rally matter in the large scheme of things. If so, interesting. I will have to reread and see if I can absorb why you have such a sentiment, clearly you are rational and a thinker.

That aside, I am sure you realize that if we held people to the standard of having to understand how things actually work most people would not invest, nor would they vote, marry, or likely drink, do drugs, have casual sex, or eat 3/4 of the American diet. : )

Cheers mate...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 02:19 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,713,667 times
what i was saying is exactly what you said ... the div is a wash and is like a draw from a portfolio .

the false sense of security part is because over and over people make the mistake of thinking the dividend is "additional money " like interest instead of thinking of it as a withdrawal from an existing portfolio value . so you hear them say they don't care what the stock is doing because they get a dividend ...

you can not have a stagnant stock price and see a gain ... in beer geeks example ,if the price of the stock was 100 dollars and ex div it is reduced to 90 dollars , well 90 dollars is the price . from that point on a stagnant price means you are stuck at 90 dollars and have zero return .. so you need to see at least enough appreciation to get you back to 100 again just to see the amount of the payout as a return .

but remember even if you exceed the 90 dollars , like a portfolio withdrawal that gain is on less invested dollars since you withdrew the dividend which is a return of capital . .

so if i withdraw 4% from my portfolio , i need to gain at least 4% back in appreciation to see a 4% gain on my portfolio , however even if i do , that 4% is on less dollars invested . if i renivest the money i took , well then i have my original amount back and the 4% gain is on the same dollars i had before the withdrawal , the div works the same way .

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-06-2019 at 03:22 AM..

Old 03-06-2019, 09:38 AM

199 posts, read 204,626 times
Very true mathjak, perhaps one should look at dividend growers or aristocrats. over time, share price has a tendency to rise offsetting dividend withdrawals. what are your thoughts on building a true income portfolio including interest and distributions via real estate, MLPs, brokered CDs, closed end funds, etc?

Old 03-06-2019, 10:22 AM

I have no preferences as far as one way or another as long as it works and one calculates correctly.

The dividend aristocrats change often after they fail to live up to the criteria.
they are like the dow stocks , the are only there until they aren't.

i use a portfolio that is 40-50% equities and uses everything from cd's to long term treasuries and gold to produce our income

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-06-2019 at 10:41 AM..

Old 03-07-2019, 02:10 AM

as far as those so called dividend aristocrats go .

what constitutes this group changes all the time so get ready for lots of selling trying to keep up as they get bumped and replaced AFTER THE FACT THEY DID NOT LIVE UP TO EXPECTATIONS . you could be behind the curve here very easily .

these dividend aristocrats are not somehow immune to all the things that effect company's and stocks . Just like other companies, their outcomes change.

in 2009 there were 52 stocks that met the group’s strict criteria.

As of 2012, there were 51.

But of those 51, 13 were different than the original set. So over the course of just 3 years, there was a 27% change in the group’s composition.

in fact going back to 1989's list :

Of those 26, seven are still on the list today, ten were removed because they either cut or froze their dividend, four were removed for an unknown reason, and the remainder were aquired at some point. So at least ten of the 26 had an outcome that is different from the assumption of dividend growth every year through thick and thin.

since the 1990's only 8 stocks of the 49 at the time on the list ended up being even high quality investments today , forget about being the aristocrats

Old 03-10-2019, 04:20 AM

748 posts, read 819,893 times
High dividends are generally bad for growth investing. For income, they can be a sign of a heavily-indebted company. I can't really think of a scenario where high dividend would be seen of as "good"...

Well there is one. A special dividend. Given on rare occasions to return cash to stockholders. But that isn't permanent, it's a one-time thing.

Old 03-10-2019, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post
High dividends are generally bad for growth investing. For income, they can be a sign of a heavily-indebted company. I can't really think of a scenario where high dividend would be seen of as "good"...

Well there is one. A special dividend. Given on rare occasions to return cash to stockholders. But that isn't permanent, it's a one-time thing.
or a sign the company is having trouble and a falling share price is causing a higher yield . if a bond fund and it is interest , you are gettng something for your money .. but if a dividend , all you do is getter a bigger reset for a bigger payout , it is a wash.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:09 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,623,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post

There's value in a company that can reliably generate enough excess cash to pay a consistent dividend, even during a prolonged, deep recession.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:11 AM

You call it excess cash but that is not what a dividend is. It is only an amount the board decides to distribute whether the company is profitable or not. The failed blue chip graveyard is full of failed stocks that paid dividends while the company lost money year after year Ever hear of ge? Gm,citi ,Kodak ,Polaroid,Sears , jc penny , I can go on and on ....

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-10-2019 at 12:20 PM..

Old 03-10-2019, 01:27 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,209,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I can go on and on ....
Made me laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing