Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 12:10 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
I'm liking commodities and energy stocks (particularly natural gas). I suppose it's also a good time to by real estate as a long term investment. What are your stratagies and how are they working out for you. I'm up 6.5% on the year.
1. glock 19 + bullets
2. hydroponic farming classes
3. passport
4. lessons in mandarin
5. sailing lessons

......I kid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 09:25 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,474 times
Quote:
I'm liking commodities and energy stocks (particularly natural gas).
Are we in a commodities and energy stock bubble? Any comment? My energy stock really went up (one of them jumped three fold recently). I didn’t choose them. My adviser told me I should allocate some money into that sector.

I remember during the housing bubble, everyone told me there was a limited amount of land plus the nice weather in South Florida. House price will go up and up since there will be always a demand. Now crashed, everyone says it is because of overbuilt.

Now everyone blames China for commodities and energy price. There is a short supply and get ready for a higher price. On the other hand, I also read somewhere there is no short supply. I don’t understand. Is it caused by all those super rich investors who influence the markets since there is no where to play their money now? Or it is really a supply and demand issue?

Personally, I wish it is just a bubble. Hopefully, it will burst soon. Any thought?

Old 04-23-2008, 02:02 PM

43 posts, read 289,477 times
Commodities = Classic bubble. Especially crude.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:02 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,970,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERBULLDOG View Post
Commodities = Classic bubble. Especially crude.
When cash becomes trash, people know where to turn.

As long as the former becomes increasingly known through inflation, the latter will occur. I don't see the inflation trend stopping anytime soon.

When countries return to a gold standard, as they always do eventually, the commodities bubble will certainly burst.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:54 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
I'm liking commodities and energy stocks (particularly natural gas). I suppose it's also a good time to by real estate as a long term investment. What are your stratagies and how are they working out for you. I'm up 6.5% on the year.
I don't like commodities at all. Way too volatile. After all, remember when everybody was making money in energy in the late 70s and early 80s? A scant few years later, and the energy biz went through a major bust.

My preference is commercial property in growing markets with stable economies, particularly cities with high occupancy rates. I think distribution properties such as warehouses and distribution centers deserve a special look, even though they are not particularly sexy. Cities such as Atlanta, Birmingham, Charlotte, Orlando, and Richmond are good places to look at, too, given that 60% of the country's growth over the next 15 years will probably take place in the six states of the Southeastern US. As long as you invest through somebody with a solid, long-term record you'll do great.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:12 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
I have doubled my contribution to the 401K. We are in the Vanguard funds, anyone got suggestions?

Old 04-24-2008, 07:03 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
Are we in a commodities and energy stock bubble? Any comment? My energy stock really went up (one of them jumped three fold recently). I didn’t choose them. My adviser told me I should allocate some money into that sector.

I remember during the housing bubble, everyone told me there was a limited amount of land plus the nice weather in South Florida. House price will go up and up since there will be always a demand. Now crashed, everyone says it is because of overbuilt.

Now everyone blames China for commodities and energy price. There is a short supply and get ready for a higher price. On the other hand, I also read somewhere there is no short supply. I don’t understand. Is it caused by all those super rich investors who influence the markets since there is no where to play their money now? Or it is really a supply and demand issue?

Personally, I wish it is just a bubble. Hopefully, it will burst soon. Any thought?
On Commodities, I would read Jim Rogers, I think he nailed it.

Basically, there was a huge bull market in the 70's. Supplies went up as prices rose. Although supplies take a long time to come on stream (it takes years to find oil, copper, etc). You can't create new commodities the way you can issue new stock or file an IPO. Supply eventually over took demand by the early 80's.

Then during the 80's and 90's, all the supply got worked off. Mines depleted. There was no new productive capacity added (everyone put money into dot coms and stocks).

Then it bottomed by 98/99. Low supply, emerging demand (China, India, Asia, everywhere really). Then back in the same cycle.

I think it'll burst eventually, but it'll take a long time. Commodity cycles tend to last 15-20+ years.

Oil and the others are overextended. Probably the 5th inning of a 9 inning game, but I dont think we're going back to $40 or $60 oil soon. Eventually though, supply will outstrip demand, like condo's in Florida.

I think housing was more artifical. That bubble couldn't be sustained without alot of tricks (easy money, easy loans, lax standards).

Old 04-24-2008, 07:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
There is no other place for the speculators to play..the equities market tanked and the bond market is untrustworthy due to outright fraud.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:12 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
I'm buying gold.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:10 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There is no other place for the speculators to play..the equities market tanked and the bond market is untrustworthy due to outright fraud.
Sure there is. Commercial real estate never got overbuilt the way residential did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing