Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 11:30 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times

Advertisements

I'm considering recommending various Vanguard index funds to someone I know. I'm wondering what the pros and cons are to recommending the Admiral Share class of their mutual funds vs. their ETF equivalents. These are going to be long term investments and the person does not plan on using the money for at least a decade.

Any input would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 03:31 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Etfs are more volatile then the fund ...etfs can be traded and sold short

Etfs can trade at a premium or discount to asset value unlike the nav of a fund

Etfs can become disconnected at rare times totally from their nav ....we saw popular etfs like dvy have the share price collapse in one of our flash crashes...the price plunged 35% in minutes while the nav was down just 5% ...trades went through at those levels before it regained balance .

Some bond etfs like third ave had to stop allowing liquidation when there were no takers .

You can’t move admiral shares to fidelity if you ever want to pull your money out of vanguard like I wanted to ....I had to convert my admiral share s&p fund to voo and then transfer it out .

So etfs have advantages but they have negatives too.

Also keep in mind etfs don’t have capital gain distributions...that can create quite a tax torpedo down the road .

Making portfolio changes at retirement and having decades of pent up gains to deal with can make changes difficult since so much is linked to taxable income in retirement.

By using funds along the way it was pretty painless moving from my. Growth stage to my growth and income models

Old 08-21-2019, 07:29 AM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times
- If that person intends to or thinks they'd like to setup some automatic scheduled investments into one or more funds, that can only be done through the mutual fund, not the ETF.

- If that person doesn't have enough to qualify for the minimum of the Admiral fund the ETF equivalent will give them the same low ER %.

- If that person is investing into a taxable account the ETF often is more tax efficient. In my Vanguard taxable I switched most of my investments to ETF. And I use Wellington in my Vanguard IRA since it's not really a tax efficient fund.

- Though they are planning to hold for a decade or more, ETFs allow a person to buy/sell like a stock, meaning they can setup a limit order so a buy or sell will execute without having to watch the market. This is a nice way to acquire additional shares at a lower price, if the price reaches that level, again without having to watch the market.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:48 AM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
^DS does the same. I do question his dca, monthly, into ETFs. The trading cost is relatively high doing dca in a nonqualified.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:43 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I'm considering recommending various Vanguard index funds to someone I know. I'm wondering what the pros and cons are to recommending the Admiral Share class of their mutual funds vs. their ETF equivalents. These are going to be long term investments and the person does not plan on using the money for at least a decade.

Any input would be appreciated!

I prefer funds when long-term because they aren't traded like stocks.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:02 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
I use only MFs as ETFs do not allow fractional shares and VG does not allow you to schedule contributions to ETFs.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:17 PM

Thanks for all the input, everyone.

I think I'm going to recommend the mutual funds, but I appreciate seeing the pros and cons of each.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:31 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
^DS does the same. I do question his dca, monthly, into ETFs. The trading cost is relatively high doing dca in a nonqualified.
No cost for some ETFs.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
No cost for some ETFs.
Yes, I did mention these were going in an account with Vanguard and the etfs would be Vanguard etfs, so no transaction fees.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:44 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,550,658 times
I am less likely to make a move with the mf vs the etf. That has worked in my favor over the years. I believe that many of the etf’s, however, are cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing