Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 08:50 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
I have owned Apple since 2013 and have over a 400% gain in the stock. It is held in my Roth IRA. As of today, it’s 34% of my portfolio. I don’t want to sell it yet, because next year with 5G coming out it should go up more...
Everyone else thinks the same thing, and the price already reflects that expectation. Don't be surprised if the stock drops after 5G. Many people buy on the rumor and sell on the fact.

Quote:
Go ahead and rip me a new one. ��
The variance on your expected return is quite high. You are nowhere near the efficient frontier. https://investinganswers.com/diction...cient-frontier

Fundamentally, you are NOT investing. You are SPECULATING. If you wish to speculate, fine - but do it with an appropriately small percentage of your portfolio.

And, if you wish to speculate, I can think of a dozen better ways to speculate than in AAPL and AMZN, and I would speculate in companies that are NOT in the crosshairs of powerful Senators, Congresspeople, State Attorneys General, and the US Attorney General, and numerous regulatory entities --- not to mention their respective counterparts around the world. I wouldn't speculate in mature companies.

(BTW, I worked at that famous Cupertino Fruit company for far too many years way back when, and still have concentrated positions in it from employee stock purchase plans and employee stock option plans from 40 years ago - but my portfolio likely has a different purpose than yours).

But that's just me.

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 09-14-2019 at 09:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 05:10 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
individual stocks are speculating to a large extent ..you are not only taking on market risk like broad based funds or etf's would have but you are speculating in buying just the right company , at just the right time , in just the right sector in just the right market sentiment .. if you got all of that correct , you still don't know what the competitors have on their drawing boards .

for someone in retirement or close to it , individual company risk can be pretty dangerous .. individual stock prices have no memory of where they were . a bad earnings report can take longer then you have to bounce back , some may just go deeper in the hole and never bounce back .

there are totally different risks involved with individual stocks vs just market volatility in funds ...

i do speculate in individual companies but only with a fraction of my portfolio .

Old 09-15-2019, 08:54 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
One of my stocks went up 200% this year, but I only have a small amount of my portfolio in that stock.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:29 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
One of my stocks went up 200% this year, but I only have a small amount of my portfolio in that stock.
The problem with a lot of those who buy individual stocks is even if they found the next Microsoft ,they have so little invested that not only does it not mean much in the big picture, but their returns still stink over all because so little is actually invested

Old 09-15-2019, 09:04 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Does Jeff Bezos' mother (she anted up start up money) complain that she has "too much" Amazon stock?
I wouldn't think so.
Sometimes it just doesn't matter.

Old 09-19-2019, 05:36 AM

2,594 posts, read 2,283,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Everyone else thinks the same thing, and the price already reflects that expectation. Don't be surprised if the stock drops after 5G. Many people buy on the rumor and sell on the fact.

The variance on your expected return is quite high. You are nowhere near the efficient frontier. https://investinganswers.com/diction...cient-frontier

Fundamentally, you are NOT investing. You are SPECULATING. If you wish to speculate, fine - but do it with an appropriately small percentage of your portfolio.

And, if you wish to speculate, I can think of a dozen better ways to speculate than in AAPL and AMZN, and I would speculate in companies that are NOT in the crosshairs of powerful Senators, Congresspeople, State Attorneys General, and the US Attorney General, and numerous regulatory entities --- not to mention their respective counterparts around the world. I wouldn't speculate in mature companies.

(BTW, I worked at that famous Cupertino Fruit company for far too many years way back when, and still have concentrated positions in it from employee stock purchase plans and employee stock option plans from 40 years ago - but my portfolio likely has a different purpose than yours).

But that's just me.
I agree with you 100%.

Old 12-06-2019, 11:49 AM

It’s trading at 270 today and I sold 500 shares at 222. Now I am kicking myself.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:06 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
How would you feel if it goes down to $170?

Old 12-06-2019, 12:26 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
It’s trading at 270 today and I sold 500 shares at 222. Now I am kicking myself.

If you own a stock that has gone up a lot and you are afraid of losing your return, but you think it is likely to go higher, just use a trailing stop whether $ or %.

Old 12-06-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
How would you feel if it goes down to $170?
That happened last December, it went down to 140. But I just can’t stop thinking about how much those 500 shares would be worth now. I have considered buying it back, but I know that doesn’t make sense. I just wish I could forget about the shares I sold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing