Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2021, 07:30 PM

5,327 posts, read 6,012,751 times

Advertisements

This is a relatively small IRA ($80-some thousand) that I inherited from a parent a few years ago. It wasn't until TRP replaced the Growth and Income fund with the US Large Cap Core* fund that I took a closer look. Are the allocations a little lopsided? I will be receiving RMDs but do not rely on them for income. Any insights appreciated. TIA

PRCIX 1.3 % New Income
TRULX 11 % U.S. Large Cap Core*
PRWAX 12.4 % All Cap Opportunity
PRISX 4.3 % Financial Services
TRBCX 18 % Blue Chip Growth
PRHSX 43 % Health Sciences
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 09:06 PM

13,643 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Very lopsided! Why is 43% in "Health Sciences", and only 11% in "US Large Cap Core"? I would reverse those two. Also, the overall tilt is too growth-oriented, too large-cap-oriented, and arguably too domestic.

Old 03-26-2021, 08:26 AM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Is this a managed account or one which your parents made the allocation?

It is impossible to tell if this is unbalanced or lopsided unless we have the whole portfolio of which this is part. If you looked at the assets I have at TRP, you would conclude lopsided, too large cap, too "bunch of other things". But that is only a part of my portfolio. It fits well into the overall asset allocation.

Old 03-26-2021, 08:42 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Is there a typo? Or a fund accidentally left off?

The sum of the percentages is 90%, not 100%.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:22 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Any insights appreciated. TIA

PRCIX 1.3 % New Income

The first line item, PRCIX, is only 1.3% of the portfolio, so not a big deal, but the fund's expenses @ .51% are WAY out line for the US, corporate & mortgage-backed bonds in which it invests:

The second line item, TRULX - US Large Cap Core - is a poor choice compared to any standard S&P 500 fund which, by definition, also is US Large Cap Core. TRULX incurs a very high .74% expense ratio compared to a standard S&P 500 fund such as Fidelity's FXAIX which charges .015% - and gives you better exposure to the asset class and substantially better expected returns as well.

The third line item, PRWAX, appears to really be a large-cap growth fund despite its name. Its expense ratio is .78% - very high compared to another large-cap growth fund FSPGX which only charges .03%, and has far better returns:

You can do the same analysis on the other funds - each seems to be inferior to less expensive comparable funds from other players.

As you will be receiving RMDs but do not rely on this portfolio for income, you might consider just putting it all in a standard all-market fund such as FZROX which charges a zero expense ratio with zero minimums.

Old 03-26-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Is there a typo? Or a fund accidentally left off?

The sum of the percentages is 90%, not 100%.
Thank you. I think I accidentally deleted the "1" when reformatting my post. The correct percent for PRISX is 14.3, not 4.3.

Old 03-26-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Is this a managed account or one which your parents made the allocation?

It is impossible to tell if this is unbalanced or lopsided unless we have the whole portfolio of which this is part. If you looked at the assets I have at TRP, you would conclude lopsided, too large cap, too "bunch of other things". But that is only a part of my portfolio. It fits well into the overall asset allocation.
Good point. I guess this offset his $250,000 in a checking account and $250,000 in a money market earning .04%. Even the bank manager could not convince him that .04% is not 4%. Alzheimer's is a b****.

Old 03-27-2021, 03:48 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
This is a relatively small IRA ($80-some thousand) that I inherited from a parent a few years ago. It wasn't until TRP replaced the Growth and Income fund with the US Large Cap Core* fund that I took a closer look. Are the allocations a little lopsided? I will be receiving RMDs but do not rely on them for income. Any insights appreciated. TIA

PRCIX 1.3 % New Income
Health Sciences has had amazing long term returns but it is very lopsided to have 43% in just one sector of the stoc market.

The bond fund position is so small it's not worth having. Either increase it or get rid of it.

To your corrected post: 14% in Finance stocks is too high.

You don't have any small or medium size company stocks in these funds. Yes, technically the All Cap fund has smaller companies, but it still skews pretty heaviliy toward larger ones.

I know it's boring and the long term returns may not be as high, but what about T. Rowe Price Balanced? It's a classic 60% stock / 40% bond balanced fund. It tends to buy growth oriented stocks and mostly investment grade bonds. It's not the best balanced fund out there, but returns are above average for the category and the expense ratio is below average.

If you want to get a little racy, I'd do 90% in the Balanced Fund, 5% in the Health Sciences fund, and 5% in T. Rowe Price Small Cap Value and call it a day. It would be better diversified than what you have (you'll have more bonds and more small cap and value stocks, which you have almost none of in the mix listed above).

90% RPBAX (Balanced)
5% PRSVX (Small Cap Value)
5% PRHSX (Health Care)

The above would be more diversified and somewhat more conservative (without being super conservative).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing