U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2021, 03:50 PM

24,974 posts, read 9,353,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
The market cap of NVDA is now $743.8 Billion.

The market cap of BRK is now $654.1 Billion.

I think I sold my NVDA at $208. Nice call.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2021, 09:27 PM

12,760 posts, read 11,986,062 times
I made no buys this week.

(And naturally sold nothing).

ATHs have been something though.

Old 11-06-2021, 08:57 AM

15,659 posts, read 13,337,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
The market cap of NVDA is now $743.8 Billion.

The market cap of BRK is now $654.1 Billion.

What is the head smack for, RE? You don't like the stock? You don't like making money? What do you have against it?

Old 11-06-2021, 09:09 AM

10,542 posts, read 4,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I think I sold my NVDA at $208. Nice call.
Several years ago, I wanted to bank some of my NVDA gains, so I sold 1/3 of my holdings.

At least, that's what I intended to do. I discovered the next day I had accidentally purchased rather than sold. It worked out for me in the end.

Old 11-06-2021, 09:13 AM

10,542 posts, read 4,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
What is the head smack for, RE? You don't like the stock? You don't like making money? What do you have against it?
Oh, I don't have anything against NVDA. I own it.

My head smack is regarding how BRK is valued in the market place.

Old 11-06-2021, 09:29 AM

Oh, ok. Thanks for clearing that up. I got the impression you didn't like and what's not to like about it? It's a beast and I'm happy I have it in my account. I made the mistake of "trading" this a couple of times but now I just buy and hold. And when there's dip, I'll pick up a couple more shares. This one (and AZO) are two winners to me.

For fun, last night I was playing around with numbers and calculated how much I would be worth today, had I bought AMZN in August 2006, when it was $26/share and if I had purchased 1K shares. I laughed but then I wanted to cry. Now here's where a good is appropriate. lol

Old 11-06-2021, 11:35 AM

24,974 posts, read 9,353,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Oh, ok. Thanks for clearing that up. I got the impression you didn't like and what's not to like about it? It's a beast and I'm happy I have it in my account. I made the mistake of "trading" this a couple of times but now I just buy and hold. And when there's dip, I'll pick up a couple more shares. This one (and AZO) are two winners to me.

For fun, last night I was playing around with numbers and calculated how much I would be worth today, had I bought AMZN in August 2006, when it was $26/share and if I had purchased 1K shares. I laughed but then I wanted to cry. Now here's where a good is appropriate. lol
Here you go.
That would have been a good purchase, no doubt.

Old 11-06-2021, 11:49 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,027,805 times
NVDA is a great company and a great stock, but it’s not for me. AZO, BRK-B, and COST, which have all recently been named in this thread, are. I am long BRK, and AZO and COST are at the top of my watch list for the next big crash.

Also, added BLK and LOW to my watch list today.

Long AAPL, BAC, BRK-B, HD, V and WSM. I am not adding much of anything right now except for Fidelity funds in my kids account. Otherwise just adding to cash and watching. The next big down market will see me adding many new positions off my 22 stock watch list. Until then, cash building and patience is my strategy.

Old 11-06-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Here you go.
That would have been a good purchase, no doubt.
Yeah. That one and GOOG. That was a great investment too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
NVDA is a great company and a great stock, but it’s not for me. AZO, BRK-B, and COST, which have all recently been named in this thread, are. I am long BRK, and AZO and COST are at the top of my watch list for the next big crash.

Also, added BLK and LOW to my watch list today.

Long AAPL, BAC, BRK-B, HD, V and WSM. I am not adding much of anything right now except for Fidelity funds in my kids account. Otherwise just adding to cash and watching. The next big down market will see me adding many new positions off my 22 stock watch list. Until then, cash building and patience is my strategy.
Good to see you acting now to add for your children. It will pay off and they'll appreciate it one day.

The other stocks you mention are also good ones. I currently hold COST and AAPL in my account. My port is much more diversified than it was last year. I have to rein myself in from buying too much tech stock but I'm so bullish on it, I can barely contain myself

In fact, yesterday I purchased shares in a company that I hadn't heard of (until yesterday). It was never on my radar but after reading about it, I decided to add a bit. Tkr: $BILL I scaled in over the course of the morning and by the close I was up nearly 3%. It's a semi-conductor stock. I must be nuts! I know I shouldn't have done it but I'm curious to see where this company goes and from what I read, the future has potential so I'm going to ride it for a while. This one could end up being a long term hold of maybe a year, two or longer. Time will tell.

There are so many good companies to choose from and ones that you could hold for a very long time but you know in the back of your mind that at any given moment, it could crash so you just play them until it's time to pull the plug.

Old 11-06-2021, 03:34 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,027,805 times
Quote:
There are so many good companies to choose from and ones that you could hold for a very long time
That is exactly the kind of company that I look for. Quality businesses with competitive moats that offer solid balance sheets, a long track record of dividend growth (AZO and BRK-B being exceptions, of course), hopefully, a love of share repurchases, and what I feel is "shareholder friendly" management. I look to buy these stocks when they go on sale during big share sell-offs, or market corrections or crashes, and I hold them long term without looking back unless the story changes.

My watch list of companies is: AAPL, AMAT, AZO, BAC, BAM, BLK, BRK-B, COST, CTAS, DPZ, HD, JOUT, JPM, LOW, MA, MSFT, TROW, TXN, V, WSM and ZTS.

I am long AAPL, BAC, BRK-B, HD, V and WSM, and will look to add any of the others on the list when there are rivers of blood in the streets. My individual stock account represents slightly less than 10% of my total invested assets, the rest being in Fidelity mutual funds within several retirement and kids accounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>