U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 08:06 PM

5,273 posts, read 11,904,652 times

Advertisements

We are most likely entering an unprecedented time of sustained high inflation for the next 6-8 years. What sectors or companies are best suited to invest in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 08:10 PM

4,911 posts, read 6,576,063 times
Gold, guns, and a farm/ranch if it's as bad as I believe it's going to be.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:17 PM

9,043 posts, read 11,323,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
We are most likely entering an unprecedented time of sustained high inflation for the next 6-8 years. What sectors or companies are best suited to invest in?
Junior gold miners are hit particular hard.

Also, silver demand might spike much more than gold considering the overall lack of supply and availability in the earth's crust.

Just get out of the dollar, quick. Use the dead cat bounce to your benefit before downgrades are made when its realized a 2nd half comeback of the economy is not in the cards.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:42 AM

3,306 posts, read 3,323,365 times
Quote:
We are most likely entering an unprecedented time of sustained high inflation for the next 6-8 years.
Most likely? So then its predicted inflation. Predicted inflation is no different than no inflation. It is only unpredicted inflation that causes a problem and can be truly profited from. What is to make you believe inflation isn't already priced into the market?

I must say, anybody that is thinking about profiting from inflation is a too late in the game. If you just want to hedge yourself against inflation then there are obvious choices.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Most likely? So then its predicted inflation. Predicted inflation is no different than no inflation. It is only unpredicted inflation that causes a problem and can be truly profited from. What is to make you believe inflation isn't already priced into the market?

I must say, anybody that is thinking about profiting from inflation is a too late in the game. If you just want to hedge yourself against inflation then there are obvious choices.
that's a lie. the smart money is getting out of dollar denominated holdings and investing in Asia. there is no bottom in sight for the dollar. it may make a small rebound, fooling people to into a false sense that it still has some value, but the way Bernanke has been cutting rates, there are way too many dollars out there and not enough production out of this economy to back them.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:54 AM

5,115 posts, read 9,411,192 times
Interesting question.

IMHO, investing in those companies that are supplying the new developing nations with needed commodities and other necessities is where one should be putting investment dollars these days--and in the upcoming years.

Take a look at the performance, over the last several years, of companies such as PBR, GGB, RIO, and the ETF for Brazil, EWZ...they're vastly out-performing the DOW and NASDAQ (with a few notable exceptions such as AAPL and GOOG).

This link to a NY Times piece that sheds light on this economic shift our global economy is currently undergoing (and will continue to undergo):

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/02/op...2cohen.html?hp

Of course, you'll want to do your own due diligence, but it seems to me it sure pays to think and act globally these days of the paradigm-shift in economic development.

--Little Dolphin, who loves investing

Old 06-02-2008, 09:58 AM

6,112 posts, read 10,148,533 times
Default Energy

If Asia, including India, and other industrializing regions of the world keep growing, then they will increasingly need sources of energy to drive their growth.

Whether we believe in peak oil, demand for energy has been on the rise and there is no reversal in the cards, periodic slowdowns, but no reversal short of a world war or a natural disaster of epic proportions.

Given all the caveats about speculative bubbles in oil and in alternative energy, how would you allocate an energy portfolio on a 10-20 year horizon?

What are the most economically and commercially promising sectors in alternative energy (positive energy-in/energy-out equation): sun, wind, geothermal, nuclear, fuel cells, other? (I don't like ethanol because it appears to be energy-in/energy-out negative and the winners will be the subsidized insiders and lucky speculators.)

Thanks

Old 06-02-2008, 10:16 AM

5,115 posts, read 9,411,192 times
While I'm not currently in the business of investment advisement (except for myself), I would certainly take a look at companies supplying the backbone of solar energy, such as ENER and WFR and I think leaders and innovators in thin technology in solar such as China's STP solar company might go into a savvy investors portfolio for now and future growth.

I'm still bullish on PBR, a well-managed oil and oil discovery company in Brazil with recent new oil field discoveries. Also I like Canada's SU, an oil-sands company, though it's pretty well-run up right now. More upside potential there? Not sure.

IMHO, it will pay to take a careful look at the (proven) suppliers of silicon and wafer technologies to the new sustainable energy companies...it's those companies who will prosper in the upcoming years...

Last edited by LittleDolphin; 06-02-2008 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-02-2008, 11:01 AM

breaking news. several major financials including Lehman Brothers, Merrill Lynch, and Morgan Stanley have been downgraded by S&P. more credit backlash to come. time to take profits off the table and head to china in a non USD denomination. c yall later. there's always a bull market somewhere and it aint in the US stock market or in USD assets.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:51 PM

3,306 posts, read 3,323,365 times
Quote:
that's a lie. the smart money is getting out of dollar denominated holdings and investing in Asia.
The smart money has already protected themselves from inflation and is now waiting for the suckers to jump in so they can profit as usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing