Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 10:39 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
My feeling exactly. I've been predicting Dow 7000 for a long while now and I'll stand by it. This is the real deal people. We are in for a long hard ride. I believe it will be on the scale of the Japanese recession / depression last decade, perhaps even worse, perhaps even much worse. And to think we are about to elect Obama. Good God help us all. Why can't they bring Reagan back. Clone anyone? Just what we need at this time. The most liberal president in Amercan history who wants apease everyone, including our enemies.
I wish you didn't include politics in a thread about the stock market. May I remind you that Obama is not President yet and current market condition has been happening under the helm of Bush, a Republican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 12:19 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
Eventually that may happen. I mean, doesn't the fed eventually have to jack up rates send financials down the drain and put us into a major recession?
The wizard (of Oz -- The Fed, in this case) does not run as much as he pretends. We are sitting on a LOT of things that can trigger a hard recession fast -- US or Israel get stupid and bomb Iran, for example, even a major weather or environmental event (think hurricane or earthquake).

I know you are young, and even if you lost a lot it would do you no real harm, but there are downsides as well as upsides to every endeavor.

Quote:
That being said, I really believe we have just begun to see the massive inflation that is going to take place. The longer they keep rates at 2%, the worse the inflation is going to get. I think commodities will perform solidly for the next couple of years, until the Fed finally gets things under control.
Again, tend to agree, but things rarely stay on the course they seem over the long-term.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:34 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
The wizard (of Oz -- The Fed, in this case) does not run as much as he pretends. We are sitting on a LOT of things that can trigger a hard recession fast -- US or Israel get stupid and bomb Iran, for example, even a major weather or environmental event (think hurricane or earthquake).

I know you are young, and even if you lost a lot it would do you no real harm, but there are downsides as well as upsides to every endeavor.

Again, tend to agree, but things rarely stay on the course they seem over the long-term.
I do see some ominous signs regarding Israel and Iran. Israel may very well take out the nuclear facilities before the end of this year. I just wonder how Russia is going to respond. WWIII on the horizon?

I'm not following you in how it would lead to a major recession and a fall in commodities though. There are just too much demand coming out of Asia. Alot of hungry mouths to feed. I dunno. We'll wait and see I guess.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:50 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I wish you didn't include politics in a thread about the stock market. May I remind you that Obama is not President yet and current market condition has been happening under the helm of Bush, a Republican.
I hear ya regarding the Bush watch, but if we bleed this much under a conservative? what do you think a tax and spend happy Obama will do. Seriously, do you think the taxpayers can take a huge hit on their income right now? I am voting for the moderate democrat, McCain.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:17 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I hear ya regarding the Bush watch, but if we bleed this much under a conservative? what do you think a tax and spend happy Obama will do. Seriously, do you think the taxpayers can take a huge hit on their income right now? I am voting for the moderate democrat, McCain.
I hate to violate my own rules about mixing politics in the stock market thread, but I only did that in response to the previous post. I will do so again one last time. The president can not control the stock market. He would if he could if for no other reason than because he doesn't want to be blamed for its decline.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:21 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
He can't control it but he can manipulate it... expecially if he has trillions of dollars from taxpayers backs...

Old 06-27-2008, 01:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
He can't control it but he can manipulate it... expecially if he has trillions of dollars from taxpayers backs...
The President does not have those trillions of dollars at his disposal for direct manipulation of the stock market. Nice try though.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:20 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Sure he does... its called the Fed Reserve.. and the taxpayers are ones paying for it.. heard of the national debt? Its almost 10 Trillion now..

Old 06-27-2008, 02:30 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times
another beautiful day on wall street. URZ up 10%, GTE up 9%, but my safe money core position weighed on me (2/3 of my portfolio allocated to DBA was down 1.6%). My portfolio still gained over 2% total today with the strong performance of junior energy companies.

show me the money.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:35 PM

655 posts, read 916,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I hate to violate my own rules about mixing politics in the stock market thread, but I only did that in response to the previous post. I will do so again one last time. The president can not control the stock market. He would if he could if for no other reason than because he doesn't want to be blamed for its decline.
Such a novel idea don't you think. Hate to break it to you buddy, but in the modern world, politics and the economy go hand in hand. A sentence, casually mentioning a politician at the end of a statement regarding the economy is hardly posting a political topic in the economic forum. Then you go on to post over and over your defense of Obama. I think you just don't want anything negative said about the man. Personally I could careless who get elected. The end result will be the same......worldwide depression, it's in the cards, like it or not, ready or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing