Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 07:36 AM

9 posts, read 50,550 times

Advertisements

I follow the stock market closely hoping to make good money playing the market. I was doing some research on the stock market in comparison to putting the money in the bank or Money Market Mutual Fund.

Here is an interesting statistic. If you put $1000 in the Stock Market in a fund that matched the Dow Jones Industrial Average 10 years ago. You would have about 1230.00 today. The Dow Jones has only gone up 23% in ten years! The figure is about the same for the S&P 500. If you put $1000 in a mutual fund that mirrored the NASDAQ, your $1000 would be worth $700.

I suspect we would be better off putting our money in a high paying CD paying 4.25% and sleep better at night. (the average CD rate over the last ten years. That $1000 would be worth about $1400 and that does not even including the power of compound interest.

Last edited by Tall Model Looking Girl; 07-16-2008 at 08:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 07:41 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,131,185 times
True. Part of the problem was the huge run-up in the markets in the 1990s. The valuations of stocks, even after coming off the high of March, 2000, had no relation to their actual value.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
People were feeling rich because they had access to debt money (HELOCS, CC's, 2nd mortgages) which really wasn't theirs, not access to their own profits from investments.

The wake-up call is now happening in MSM. Alternate sites have been warning about this for a few years.

They were drowned out and put down because too many people were riding the gravy train and having a good time.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:07 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Model Looking Girl View Post
I follow the stock market closely hoping to make good money playing the market. I was doing some research on the stock market in comparison to putting the money in the bank or Money Market Mutual Fund.

Here is an interesting statistic. If you put $1000 in the Stock Market in a fund that matched the Dow Jones Industrial Average 10 years ago. You would have about 1230.00 today. The Dow Jones has only gone up 23% in ten years! The figure is about the same for the S&P 500. If you put $1000 in a mutual fund that mirrored the NASDAQ, your $1000 would be worth $700.

I suspect we would be better off putting our money in a high paying CD paying 4% and sleep better at night. That $1000 would be worth about $1400 and that does not even including the power of compound interest.
What sort of rationale do you use in selecting that specific period of years? Without a doubt I can find a 10 year period that shows the exact opposite result.

Lastly, does your 1230 figure include dividends or is it only capital gains and of course taxation is different on the investments. (And don't forget any transaction costs)

Be careful doing "research" and "playing the markets". You aren't the first that has tried and unless you have a ton of training and education in the field you are just gambling. (Not to be mean but your 10 year analysis screams that you are newer to analytical work and that you should be more than a little cautious.) Don't wind up like the dot.com gamblers or the day-traders...I know several "geniuses" that lost close to 7-figures when it came apart at the end.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:12 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
True. Part of the problem was the huge run-up in the markets in the 1990s. The valuations of stocks, even after coming off the high of March, 2000, had no relation to their actual value.
Yep, look at the last 6 years instead of the last 10 and the answer changes drastically. If people have a rational explanation as to why a specific grouping of 6-years, 10-years, 40-years, only looking a the 1960's or just using years ending in "3" is indicative of FUTURE RETURNS then I'm curious to hear why.

Reminds me of the episode of Cheers where one of the guys in the bar (Cliff I think) mapped out the presidents names mathematically and the next president was certain to be named Emo Snufferwocky or something like that. lol.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:16 AM

OK, add one percent for dividends.

I pick ten years because that figure is always stated by the financial industry as looking at the market in a long range perspective.

Regardless the stock market is not the big money making vehicle that people make it out to be. I think a nice 4.25% 5 year CD would be better.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:44 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,869,653 times
the question is, what kind of person buys an index fund tied to the performance of the Dow? Sector investing based on solid macroeconomic fundamentals would have you up far more than 23% over a ten year period.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
the question is, what kind of person buys an index fund tied to the performance of the Dow? Sector investing based on solid macroeconomic fundamentals would have you up far more than 23% over a ten year period.

Most mutual funds have done worse than the index funds connected with the Dow Jones or S&P 500.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:59 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Not sure what the OP is trying to get at here except that maybe he doesn't have the stomach to deal w/fluctuations of the equity market?

If you have a long term horizon than these drops shouldn't affect how you allocate your AA (except for yearly rebalancing).

If they do, then you should trim down your equity portion..

Old 07-16-2008, 09:11 AM

879 posts, read 1,961,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Model Looking Girl View Post
OK, add one percent for dividends.
Actually, according to Yahoo Finance, your 23% figure does include dividends. If didn't, however, you'd be adding more than a mere 1% to the return. More like an extra 15% or so.

Quote:
Regardless the stock market is not the big money making vehicle that people make it out to be.
It's not when you buy near a high, shortly before a major bear market, then sell 10 years later, no. The fact is that the market has averaged around 10% per year. If you had bought near the highs, your 10-year return would've been worse than that. If you had bought near the lows, your 10-year returns would've been better than that. Like Mathguy alluded to, focusing on the last 10-year period alone to base your conclusions on stock market returns is silly.

One other point: If an investor had started investing 10 years ago, but dollar cost averaged into his investments (say, via a 401k), his return would have been much better than 23%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing