Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 07:35 PM

655 posts, read 916,599 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at buying some funds and have been doing some extensive research this week. There are some nice looking Asian funds, as our downturn has had little if any affect on their markets. However, I'm leaning towards some high risk / high return bond funds. I think in the coming months, there are going to be some real value in government bonds issued. One fund I've been thinking of buying into has a market cap of $227 million with about 45% invested in recently acquired BBa or better bonds at 9% or more! Then another 32% in AA bonds at about 5-6% the rest in Money market accounts.

I know it is a risk, but I for one do not think things are as bad as we previously thought. I think an aggressive bond fund, right now could bring a 5 year retun of 15-20% quite easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 02:46 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
I'm looking at buying some funds and have been doing some extensive research this week. There are some nice looking Asian funds, as our downturn has had little if any affect on their markets. However, I'm leaning towards some high risk / high return bond funds. I think in the coming months, there are going to be some real value in government bonds issued. One fund I've been thinking of buying into has a market cap of $227 million with about 45% invested in recently acquired BBa or better bonds at 9% or more! Then another 32% in AA bonds at about 5-6% the rest in Money market accounts.

I know it is a risk, but I for one do not think things are as bad as we previously thought. I think an aggressive bond fund, right now could bring a 5 year return of 15-20% quite easily.
From what I understand, though the proportions are different, growth in certain areas of Asia may also be constrained by energy costs. That doesn't mean that you can't select the right sectors, geographical areas, and particular funds.

As for government bonds, I assume you are talking about international government bonds, and not US. There indeed may be some opportunities there, certainly less risky than corporate bonds.

As for corporate bonds, I agree that this area holds out some attractive potential total returns. Be aware, however, that Moody's (though its credibility may be shot) expects the global default rate, especially in the US, to increase from around 1% last year to around 2%-3% currently to around 6% by year-end.

If you buy corporate bonds now, you may get caught up in a wave of defaults, how big or small a wave is hard to predict. But with proper diversification, you may be able to ride it out and, indeed, enjoy 15%-20% total returns over the next 2-5 years.

One corporate bond ETF I follow is CIF. It has dropped around 30 cents, or around 10%, since the last market swoon (down around 25% since August 2007). Current yield is 10.75%. Please feel free to share any specific funds you are tracking.

Besides the risk of default, one other concern is that if US Treasury rates increase, that may suck in capital that would otherwise go to other government and corporate bonds. Or do you expect US Treasury rates to remain low?

More conservative areas I am looking at are global infrastructure, farm land (though direct fund access to diversified investment grade is hard or impossible for small investors, you have to do it by proxy), of course energy, but maybe on a dip, and maybe health care depending on how the US fiasco plays out over the next 3-18 months.

Coal and steel, also in connection with energy and global infrastructure, may also continue to do well.

Good luck!

Last edited by bale002; 07-22-2008 at 03:32 AM..

Old 07-22-2008, 10:53 PM

13 posts, read 31,025 times
I actually reviewed CIF today. Tried to buy through scottrade, but it would not let me know. Great looking fund. A little risky, but would be a nice place to park some "play" money right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing