Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 03:34 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,635,426 times

Advertisements

Markets often take a dive in the last hour before the end of the trading day, and they often take exactly the opposite course, shooting up off their lows. When the market jolts up, it is usually due to an expectation that the underlying cause of the initial decline has eased, and it is time to buy bargain-priced stocks.

When stocks take a dive, it is often because the underlying cause still looks bad, or looks even worse than it did at the beginning of the day. This causes a lack of confidence, and traders seek to unload their stocks before the bad news causes further losses at the beginning of the next trading session.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 05:05 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,071 times
Quote:
The basis these folks attempt to use is not the product or people or benefit of the service, but merely past return on the money in -- or dividends, as you say. Look at the definition of a Ponzi scheme . . . that is it. "Chumps" is a kind word for this behavior.
I mostly agree with you. About a year ago I decided that it was unlikely that I was going to get 9~10% long term rate in mutual funds that is often projected. Frankly it doesn't make sense why someone should be able to get an almost risk free 9~10% in the long term for pretty much doing nothing (As you say, its a sort of Ponzi Scheme). As a result I pulled most of my money out of the equity markets and now have it in things that seem more reasonable (bonds, CDs etc).

But, still the stock markets are an important part of the economy. Its primarily Joe six packs's involvement in them that makes it odd.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:16 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,392,558 times
And it's Joe Six Pack that's getting creamed. The Big Boys got their money out a long time ago; now they're just gambling with pocket change. It's the retail investor that will be taking the hardest hits. Money locked in pension plans is like a sitting duck... and Mr. Market is reloading.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:59 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,595 times
Tomorrow the market will go back and everyone in the media will forget today happened

Old 09-15-2008, 07:01 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
Tomorrow the market will go back and everyone in the media will forget today happened
Everyone will be watching the FED tomorrow for their rate decision. Unfortunately I think they will be disappointed when the FED does lower interest rates.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:03 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,039,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
I can't forget the Lehman Brothers - $700 billion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-16-2008, 04:32 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,800,839 times
The whole theory about the longterm 10% return on the DOW was heavily influenced by the go-go results of the 90s when the market returned 28% per year under president Clinton. So far, under George W. Bush the DOW has been stagnant moving only from 10,587.59 (1/20/01) to 10,917.51 (9/16/08) for a meager 3.1% return (approx. 0.4% annualized) No modern-day president has lorded over such a poor performing stock market except for Carter who left the DOW within a couple of points of where it was when he took office.

But hey, it's not over yet. Perhaps George W. Bush can beat Carter and actually leave office with the DOW in worse condition than when he took office 8 years earlier.

Given the uncertainty in the market model going forward it is not inconceivable to imagine that the 10% longterm returns used as a basis for moving everyone into individual retirement accounts was just an anomaly.

Real money is made on investment in real things that people need to live. Derivative investments and businesses that offer nebulous services do not produce longterm wealth.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:35 PM

862 posts, read 1,051,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Markets often take a dive in the last hour before the end of the trading day, and they often take exactly the opposite course, shooting up off their lows. When the market jolts up, it is usually due to an expectation that the underlying cause of the initial decline has eased, and it is time to buy bargain-priced stocks.

When stocks take a dive, it is often because the underlying cause still looks bad, or looks even worse than it did at the beginning of the day. This causes a lack of confidence, and traders seek to unload their stocks before the bad news causes further losses at the beginning of the next trading session.
ALL true,until John Q. Public finally realizes thats is all one big pyaramid scheme at which point traders all run in a ctrcle ,jump and shout-
who knows we're all out.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:36 PM

862 posts, read 1,051,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
And it's Joe Six Pack that's getting creamed. The Big Boys got their money out a long time ago; now they're just gambling with pocket change. It's the retail investor that will be taking the hardest hits. Money locked in pension plans is like a sitting duck... and Mr. Market is reloading.
You should be running for Prez!

Old 09-18-2008, 09:48 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
And it's Joe Six Pack that's getting creamed. The Big Boys got their money out a long time ago; now they're just gambling with pocket change. It's the retail investor that will be taking the hardest hits.
That's because Joe Six Pack always buys into this "stay the course" nonsense. I dunno ... maybe you have to suffer through a bear market as an investor and lose your shirt before you figure out you need to quit listening to all of that stuff.

I learned my lesson from 2001-2002 ... and this bear market was MUCH easier to predict than that one. You didn't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that subprime, etc. was going to be a major disaster. A prolonged, controlled disaster but a disaster nonetheless.

So I got out of stocks in the summer of '07. If Obama wins ... that's when I'll start buying again. If McCain wins ... I'll probably wait.

Last edited by sheri257; 09-18-2008 at 10:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing