Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2008, 08:43 AM

936 posts, read 3,190,782 times

Advertisements

almost as nauteous as board moderators moving a lot of interesting thread postings to the ZzZzzzZzZzzZ investing subforum, where hardly anyone goes!!!!!!! i am in a fit of bitter rage this morning!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 08:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Is this your first bear market ?
It's a doosey if it is.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:45 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times
I actually moved a good portion of my equity 401k portion into fixed income 3 days ago.

I had a "floor" set and could not stomach anymore losses (my risk tolerance couldn't take it). I will move back into equities when things start stabilizing though.

Part of the reason is that employment is not stable for me right now and worried about a worst case scenerio of the equity markets losing 60-75% of their value.....

The good thing is I do have 25 yrs or so till retirment so hopefully I won't have to face such a severe bear market in my investing lifetime again..

Old 10-10-2008, 11:34 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I take it you didn't live thru the recession in the 70's. Double digit inflation ;very high interest rates;gas double in price quickly and unemployment was really high. Many peole movede because of work to areas that were not so badly struck by job loses.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:39 AM

936 posts, read 3,190,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I take it you didn't live thru the recession in the 70's. Double digit inflation ;very high interest rates;gas double in price quickly and unemployment was really high. Many peole movede because of work to areas that were not so badly struck by job loses.
i'm only 23, but don't use my age as lack of experience. i've been trading stocks since age 13 and witnessed the crash of 2000. i was at the computer trading my dads stocks at age 15 believe it or not on the day of the tech bubble. i definitely wasn't a dumb kid then, and i'm definitely not inexperienced now.

i do acknowledge though, that we are now a country of 305,000,000 people and half of us have retirement accounts that are losing value faster then chit hitting the fan. this is sad news for retiring baby boomers, considering they're one of the largest cohorts in this country and their retirement accounts may be the bulk of their assets. how will many of them retire with our indexes down 40% off their highs? consumer spending will heavily be affected by this, and it will cripple our economy for years to come. we're poor to begin with. so sure, the 70's had its difficulties, and stagflation in the 80s was no better. but the crisis in the 00's will catch up to us more quickly then past crashes because as i said, we're now playing in a numbers game. it's not like this country only has 100,000,000 people with less then 20% invested in the stock anymore.

the dow is down 420, no phun intended
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing