U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-19-2008, 04:17 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,441,604 times

Advertisements

What I think is a bit funny is that she keeps coming back when the market is up to tell us how much of a fool we are....and then is silent when it starts to go down again.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:53 PM

1,817 posts, read 2,262,155 times
Title of thread should have been: "Now's The Time to Day Trade Long And Short ETFs."

Going long equities and intending to hold is/was tough right now. You can profit on intraday and short term changes but I wouldn't waste time with a long term play right now as far as long company stock positions. I'm not saying it won't go up, eventually, I'm saying there are better things for the money to be doing in the meantime.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:43 PM

458 posts, read 454,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
I am not sure that Sheri257 is for real. She called the bottom on the real estate market a while ago as well, although I am not sure if she has bought a home yet.

I really suspect that she is just trying to argue the other side of the 'doom and gloomers' because I just can't imagine anyone putting all their money into such a volatile market at this time - and to be BORROWING money to put into stocks at the moment just seems like shere lunacy.

Sheri257, if you really are doing these things, please take a moment to think. If you are for real it sounds like you have got yourself so deeply entrenched with your argument that you can't back down or admit that you made a mistake.
I HOPE you are right, I really do, but you could be putting yourself in an awful position if you are wrong. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Please think about it some more before you let your pride ruin you.
I said it a couple weeks back, I think "Sheri" is just playing with everyone here. "Sheri" sort of halfheartedly denied it, I stand by what I said. No one takes out loans to buy stocks, no one could possibly believe some of the outlandish things "Sheri" has said here. "Sheri" seems to be a caricature of many of the ideals that got us into this mess. The attitude that prices are cheaper for stocks and houses, so lets ignore this little recession and all the mistakes that were made and go back to what we were doing two years ago is scary.

But "Sheri" is amusing, I will give "Sheri" that.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:49 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,603,654 times
Quote:
I am not sure that Sheri257 is for real. She called the bottom on the real estate market a while ago as well, although I am not sure if she has bought a home yet.
Regarding real estate: I always said I thought the market for my particular area was tightening and that prices were hitting bottom at 55 percent below peak values two years ago.

I was always very clear that I could not speak for other areas of the state or, even, the country. For example, the inland empire is a completely different market and probably still has a ways to go.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
What I think is a bit funny is that she keeps coming back when the market is up to tell us how much of a fool we are....and then is silent when it starts to go down again.
Unlike you Humanoid I actually have a job that pays very well and ... they do expect me to show up every once in a while so ...

I don't have unlimited time to argue with you on this board. Besides ... I've got better things to do like, making money.

The market closed at 8579 this week despite all of your doom and gloom predictions. It's still bouncing between 8-9K as I predicted so ...

You're still looking like a fool.

Last edited by sheri257; 12-20-2008 at 09:03 AM..

Old 12-20-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Sheri257, if you really are doing these things, please take a moment to think. If you are for real it sounds like you have got yourself so deeply entrenched with your argument that you can't back down or admit that you made a mistake.
What mistake? The whole time you guys have been criticizing the market has still been holding in the mid to upper 8000's.

The way you've been talking you'd think the DOW would be down to 5K by now ... but it's not. Sure, we could test the lows again but the market is actually holding and stabilizing.

The time to buy is when everybody's pessimistic ... i.e. now. The time to sell was when everybody was optimistic ... i.e. last year.

This is stock market 101.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkelman View Post
The market is not going up, if it is lower than when you jumped in with both feet.
And I have continued to buy on the low's so I could lower my basis. Have you missed this point? Because I've already stated this several times.

Obviously I can't predict the short term swings so I buy as much as I can on the dips to lower my basis. If the market gets down to 7,500 again I'll buy even more then.

From the very first post on this thread ... I said the market would bounce between 8-9K for awhile and, with the exception of one week in November ... that's exactly what's happened.

What hasn't happened is the catastrophic lows that you have been predicting.

Last edited by sheri257; 12-20-2008 at 09:22 AM..

Old 12-20-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
No one takes out loans to buy stocks ....
Tons of people did that during the real estate boom ... using home equity lines.

And what do you think a margin account is? Free money?

I don't really care if you believe me or not but if you don't then ... I'm not sure why you keep responding.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:38 AM

Since I'm supposedly a troll and jerking everybody's chain ... let's see who's actually been more accurate. This was the first post I wrote that started this thread ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
I'm calling it ... buy stocks now when they're nice and cheap. The market is about to turn.

The Dow will bounce between 8-9K for awhile but six months from now the Dow will be over 10K or more.
Lo and behold ... with the exception of one week in November when it got down to 7500 ... the Dow has been bouncing between 8-9K.

Now let's check Winkelman's record ...

Quote:
New closing lows today on all indexes. That is a major bearish signal. Looking at the charts if we break 7800, we are going to 5000.
Well ... the Dow did break 7,800 and got down to 7,500 for a couple of days but, ever since it's been bouncing between 8-9K, just like I said.

Winkelman, however, is completely off the charts... the Dow hasn't gotten anywhere near 5,000 yet so ...

Just wondering why you're jumping on my case when you're completely wrong in your predictions. At least I've been within the ball park ... not totally off the mark like you.

Who knows ... maybe you're the troll Winkelman.

Last edited by sheri257; 12-20-2008 at 10:30 AM..

Old 12-20-2008, 10:57 AM

3,306 posts, read 1,441,604 times
Quote:
Unlike you Humanoid I actually have a job that pays very well and ... they do expect me to show up every once in a while so ...
This doesn't explain why you comment only when the market is up, its sorta funny. And this is where you pretend to know how much I make...but you are right I don't have a "job". I own a business.

Quote:
The market closed at 8579 this week despite all of your doom and gloom predictions. It's still bouncing between 8-9K as I predicted so ...

You're still looking like a fool.
Again I ask, how does it make me look like a fool when I never made any short term predictions? You seem to have a reading comprehension problem, I have stated repeatedly that I have no predictions on the short term movements of the market rather I think the market will slowly decline and stagnate over the coming years.

Also, although I don't agree with the astrological method Winkelman was uses to base his views, he never stated a time frame. Most people that use technicals are suggesting a shortish wave up...that will come crashing down. You're going to have to wait a bit to suggest even his views are wrong. You're going to have to wait years to call mine "foolish"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.