Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 06:06 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,154,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
N
There was a terrific market run after Clinton was elected. I think the same will happen with Obama.
Why because they are both democrats? This is completely superficial. I'm amazed you bet your money on this sort of reasoning. Again, you are looking at superficial items (direction of some graphs, and who is elected) and ignoring pretty much every fundamental indicator.

You seem not to understand that the economy is going to change fundamentally (it already has). When this happens all historic data, all current models can be thrown out the door. They aren't useful anymore.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:12 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,392,121 times
There is no good news on the horizon to fuel a sustainable market rally short-term. None. There will be trading opportunities, but for investors looking to go long, there will be buying opportunities for some time to come. There's a bigger downside risk than there is upside opportunity, so I don't see any reason to rush-- or even wade-- back in now. JMO.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:19 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,152 times
Quote:
Just want a record I can refer to in April so I can say I told you so...
Just like this investment, it's a double-edged sword. If it's up, you can certainly come back in May or so and post an "I told ya so" thread; if it's down, one of the rest of us will almost certainly bring this thread back from the dead in order to say "told ya so."

Old 11-18-2008, 09:31 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,154,654 times
Anyhow, if you really want to bet against the direction of the DOW or the market in general there are much better ones of doing it. If you are right you could make millions....

Anyhow, the options are all pointing to more declines. The stock market itself is not the only indicator and things don't get "priced in" in one day. It takes time for folks to sell off, but every rally this is what is happening. You need to know what the shorts are doing and what the options are doing, they will tell you more about the future than the major indexes.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:08 PM

458 posts, read 776,749 times
Quote:
I'm calling it ... buy stocks now when they're nice and cheap. The market is about to turn.

The Dow will bounce between 8-9K for awhile but six months from now the Dow will be over 10K or more.

Just want a record I can refer to in April so I can say I told you so ...

New closing lows today on all indexes. That is a major bearish signal. Looking at the charts if we break 7800, we are going to 5000.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:32 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,398 times
Keep drinking that sweet nepenthe. Let blissful oblivion cloud your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Anyhow, if you really want to bet against the direction of the DOW or the market in general there are much better ones of doing it. If you are right you could make millions....

Anyhow, the options are all pointing to more declines. The stock market itself is not the only indicator and things don't get "priced in" in one day. It takes time for folks to sell off, but every rally this is what is happening. You need to know what the shorts are doing and what the options are doing, they will tell you more about the future than the major indexes.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:45 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
Quote:
I'm calling it ... buy stocks now when they're nice and cheap. The market is about to turn.

The Dow will bounce between 8-9K for awhile but six months from now the Dow will be over 10K or more.

Just want a record I can refer to in April so I can say I told you so ...

Okay, Sheri257,

How do you feel today? Are you happy you jumped in to buy those stocks?

This is a fools market right now.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:45 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,273 times
Not getting back in yet. I think another shoe is going to drop.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:51 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
If you want to make money right now, short the guys who aren't hurting yet. Wal-Mart comes to mind. They keep coming up with increased profits.. that will end soon as more and more people run out of money.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:07 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
If you want to make money right now, short the guys who aren't hurting yet. Wal-Mart comes to mind. They keep coming up with increased profits.. that will end soon as more and more people run out of money.
Look at Best Buy. Yech. I think they are another in for a shock (pun intended) after Black Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing