Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 02:51 PM

371 posts, read 1,567,036 times

Advertisements

I am assuming now is a good time to buy stocks. Since I do not have any money to invest of my own right now because we're house poor...I was thinking of taking one thousand of each of my children's money and investing it in stocks. Anyone know of any good ones that will eventually make them a little money??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 03:08 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,782,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfToo View Post
I am assuming now is a good time to buy stocks. Since I do not have any money to invest of my own right now because we're house poor...I was thinking of taking one thousand of each of my children's money and investing it in stocks. Anyone know of any good ones that will eventually make them a little money??
While the down market looks tempting, I wouldn't invest money I need to live on. I could be wrong, but that seems to be your situation. Use the money to take care of your family first. There will be plenty of time to invest. In the mean time, pick up a few investing books at your local library and start reading.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:05 PM

371 posts, read 1,567,036 times
I really don't need the money now-its my kids money and I was only looking to take out a little of their money to try and make a little money for their future. It would be a long term thing. By "house poor" I mean we just bought a house so we don't personally have any money for that.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:21 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Not sure I understand 'taking the kids money', but I have been a nibbler at things like GE and PFE of late.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:31 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,981 times
MSN's Jubak's Journal regularly discusses specific stock plays and has a rather good track record. You might want to become a reader of the column (2x/week). I've found it very informative.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Go to the bank and put the money in a 6 month CD. You'll get a bit of interest and will preserve your principal.

This bear market is no place for "investing". Trading yes but not investing. Wait til it bottoms out and then "invest". That's what I'm doing.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:53 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
MSN's Jubak's Journal regularly discusses specific stock plays and has a rather good track record. You might want to become a reader of the column (2x/week). I've found it very informative.
I also follow Mr. Jubaks Journal. I think he has done a pretty decent job over the years I've read him.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:39 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Go to the bank and put the money in a 6 month CD. You'll get a bit of interest and will preserve your principal.

This bear market is no place for "investing". Trading yes but not investing. Wait til it bottoms out and then "invest". That's what I'm doing.
This is the best advice you could take. Making money in the market now requires a lot of time and knowledge.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:01 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,849,301 times
As an unknowledgeable (not meant as a slam, but you are) investor you have no business buying individual stocks! In fact 98% or more of investors should not own individual stocks.

Study a bit about risk and you'll understand that you need to own (IIRC) more than 20 stocks (I can't remember the number, it may be over 30) to eliminate "individual stock risk". Go back and look at any of the "high flyers" or even market leaders from the last 15 years. You'll see names like Enron, Global Crossing, Lucent and many more that have all but disappeared.

I'd suggest buying equally mutual funds in the, Growth, Growth and Income, International Grown and Value classes. Individual companies may disappear, but it's pretty unlikely that the bases of the American economy will.

I also do not like to buy "sector" funds. Imagine how you would feel today if you had bought into the "transportation" sector 10 years ago. You would own; TWA, GM (in the $40s) Ford (in the $30s) several other airlines that are no longer with us. If you had bought the "energy" sector a year ago you would have been buying oil and oil related companies that were priced based on $150 oil, not the $45 it's trading at now.

golfgod

Old 01-08-2009, 02:30 PM

931 posts, read 3,803,215 times
Remember this Rule: Only invest money you can afford to lose.

IMO, It is not worth investing only $1k or $2k because your COMMISSION costs and FEES will eat too much into your profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing