U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 08:13 PM

8,911 posts, read 7,497,562 times

Advertisements

So are you guys saying someone with a 401K (that has already lost 40% of its value the last 3-4 months) should take their money out before they lose more and put it in CDs or something else? Are you saying not to stay in and ride it out? That's what advisors always SAY to do, to just stay in and ride it out and when the stocks go back up the value will skyrocket. Mine went down 40+ percent, and now has gone up and down but is back up 10% from its low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 12:42 PM

115 posts, read 294,544 times
I have one index fund. I have taken out almost all of my investment over the past ten years, leaving me with profits as my stock investment. I began re-investing my dividends the last two quarters. My next move will be to stop re-investing dividends, and then I will start selling again.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:35 PM

209 posts, read 401,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty3 View Post
I heard a financial advisor say once: "you'll know when a bear market is starting to turn around by this--it will be a rollar coaster for awhile, big ups, then big downs. Eventually, you'll start seeing smaller ups, but more frequent ups than the downs. This is usually the beginning of the bull market". Anybody think this is what's happening now??
I got into the market during the big selloff and I am glad I did. The key is "what" you invest in during these times.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:25 PM

242 posts, read 476,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty3 View Post
I heard a financial advisor say once: "you'll know when a bear market is starting to turn around by this--it will be a rollar coaster for awhile, big ups, then big downs. Eventually, you'll start seeing smaller ups, but more frequent ups than the downs. This is usually the beginning of the bull market". Anybody think this is what's happening now??

if i hear 'hedge against inflation' I know the big guys are starting to manipulate commodities like gold and I run.

If I hear a lot of 'consumer confidence' that stock is in big trouble and looking to tank. In the aspect of the overall market, the economy is gonna tank.

When I hear them ask 'is this the bottom?' then I know it is not the bottom but they are trying to sell things on the way down.

When they say it is not a recession and then 12 months later they say 'well, it has been a recession for 12 months, surprise' I know we are in a depression of biblical breadth.

I think the media is fed economic talking points by big businesses the same way political commentators are fed talking points by the parties. The media is a tool used by those who can profit by it. You do not see too many regular people talking on there...only people with a vested interest is selling you something telling you 'gold is gonna spike, buy now!!!'

lovely.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:24 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,537,490 times
If you DONT need the money in the next couple years, it's a great time to invest. I truly believe 5 years from now, we will be saying "omg we could have bought xyz for $10!!!" However, there will be more ups and downs and it may take a few years, which is why it's a great time to invest with money you don't need in the meantime.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Status: "Football almost over, time for the NHL!" (set 1 day ago)

15,775 posts, read 16,010,821 times
As I posted before, I have been buying 100 shares here and there of (previously) good companies. GE and PFE at 15 and a few others below 10. Its money I dont expect to need in the next few years. I still think there will be a drop into the 7500 or so, but who knows when.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing