Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2009, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,257 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone out there has any information or has had experience in buying land from individual land owners that are over due on their property taxes. I'm not talking about paying the back taxes and putting a lein on the property. I'm talking about contacting the owner directly and making them a low ball offer on their land and getting a free and clear title. Is it true that alot of land owners have just walked away from their property and have failed to pay property taxes for years and feel they will never get any money for their land? Is it possibble to locate these people from county records and offer them pennies on the dollar for their land? If so, do you recomend a real estate attorney or title insurance or search to make sure land is free and clear before purchase? I assume I will have to pay the back taxes myself too.

Just thinking about different investment ideas other than the market now.

Thanks for your insight,
Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 10:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
I've bought several tax delinquent props from owners, but not for 'cents on the $$', more like near assessed (not appraised) values. Sometimes as much as 50% off prime market rates. I'm sure there are lots of bargain places, as even the ones that are listed are going for 50% off their highs. (maybe closer to 'reality'

my process;
locate the area I want (I have specific criteria that is focused on desirability of resale)
do a bunch of research to determine comp values
determine ownership (I used to go to the court house and camp out in the assessor's office for a few days) I get parcel maps and color them and write in the ones I would like to target for purchase.
I pick the most likely ones that will want to sell (a criteria I don't publish on public websites, as several realtors have absconded with my ideas and target markets) You can do most of his on-line now (unless you live in the boonies and only have dialup... like me)

I contact the owners and offer them attractive deals, especially if they will finance balance with 25% down and short term note. Contacting them in the next couple months (Before taxes are due) is best leverage.

I use title companies, and only involve attorney if there is something out of order with previous ownership, or easement / boundary. I bend over backwards to make it ez on the seller and I don't hammer them on price or terms. I spend a lot of time talking to neighbors and land use planners BEFORE I make an offer, as I like to know the history and whether there are any barriers that are 'unseen'.

Buyer beware, but remember the saying... "If it is already on the market, it is no longer a good deal" - you have to dig, but rewards are there.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:30 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,727,435 times
Do your "due diligence" as janb suggests carefully. Sometimes there are serious defects with the property that makes it unmarketable in a conventional sense. In other words it is totally worthless. One reason why someone may decide to "just walk away" by ceasing to pay the taxes. It's the easy way to make it the local govt's problem.

One such example would be the property is heavily contaminated by the gas station that used to be there 20 years ago, by inground tanks that leaked. The cost to cleanup the site would far exceed, by several times, the otherwise fair market value of the property. An extreme example, but theres the point.....beware the hidden dangers.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:49 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,237,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haas24 View Post
I was wondering if anyone out there has any information or has had experience in buying land from individual land owners that are over due on their property taxes. I'm not talking about paying the back taxes and putting a lein on the property. I'm talking about contacting the owner directly and making them a low ball offer on their land and getting a free and clear title. Is it true that alot of land owners have just walked away from their property and have failed to pay property taxes for years and feel they will never get any money for their land? Is it possibble to locate these people from county records and offer them pennies on the dollar for their land? If so, do you recomend a real estate attorney or title insurance or search to make sure land is free and clear before purchase? I assume I will have to pay the back taxes myself too.

Just thinking about different investment ideas other than the market now.

Thanks for your insight,
Scott
Check with your local tax office and see when they have their tax auctions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing