Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 07:07 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,916 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I would like to hear your objective view about GE stock. I have bought a few hundred shares for obvious reasons (solid company, very cheap stock right now, potential huge upside etc...) in the last couple of weeks, but I'm starting to think it's not a very good investment. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 07:55 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
they have a very large ratio of outstanding loans to equity and the quality of their loans is opaque so it wouldn't take much to tip them over. an approximately 2% increase in defaults on outstanding loans would wipe out their equity (8 billion equity in december vs 400-600 billion in outstanding loans) so i personally would say no to GE.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:49 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,794,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
(8 billion equity in december vs 400-600 billion in outstanding loans)
If that's true, they're levered at 50-75:1. That's scary....

Old 03-05-2009, 05:03 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,838 times
When it reaches $5.00 I would buy it. And not any sooner. GE has a big financial arm and we all know how the financials are doing.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:18 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
I bought some the other day, with the knowledge that GE Capital is a big question mark.. but I'm just betting that they'll be around in 15 years.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:11 AM

707 posts, read 1,293,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I bought some the other day, with the knowledge that GE Capital is a big question mark.. but I'm just betting that they'll be around in 15 years.
There are definitely issues. Their tangible equity is pretty low for the amount of debt they are carrying ($650-700B). The balance sheet is misleading. They have done a lot of acquisitions over the past few years and carry a lot of "goodwill" on the sheet. We all know what that's worth today.

I think they are a survivor but I believe you will have a chance to get in under $5.00, maybe under $4.00

Management has lost a lot of credibility lately with double talk. Very opaque company. I'm a former employee and I am not as confident as many.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:15 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
It was a core stock of my retirement plan, and so it looks like I'll be working a little longer than planned. With that said I have bought on the way down, last purchase was @ 10, before they cut the dividend. In terms of too big to fail, I think this is it but I'm starting to think I might be throwing money away that could be better spent in the next couple years if I buy more. But I'm a sucker, and will buy another 100 or so if it hits 5.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:27 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
I worked for a subsidiary of GE for a couple years and was alarmed by some of the things I saw there in terms of making the numbers work. I'm not going to even touch the stuff I saw that was frankly fraudulent IMO but just the game playing of selling a building and leasing it back to yourself to help make that years numbers. Way too much effort put into accounting gymnastics than in actually improving the business and making damaging long-term moves to reach short-term goals.

This is all fine and good with manufacturing etc. but frankly, when it comes to financial products and services that can have fuzzy values I don't trust them. Just too much power in the hands of their business leaders and pressure to "make the numbers"....get promoted and move on that next better job and let the next guy pick up any messes.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:28 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,601 times
Sounds like everyone who is saying "no" to GE is looking at a 2-5 year outlook. What about those interested in a very-long long term investment? Perhaps as a cornerstone for a child's portfolio who wouldn't be cashing in on the stock for a good 20 years? 20 years of dividend reinvestment and possible stock splits can turn out to be a sizable appreciation...

Old 03-05-2009, 01:30 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Hello everyone! I would like to hear your objective view about GE stock. I have bought a few hundred shares for obvious reasons (solid company, very cheap stock right now, potential huge upside etc...) in the last couple of weeks, but I'm starting to think it's not a very good investment. Any thoughts?
If you bought in the last couple weeks like you said, then you probably lost as much as 50% on this stock already. It traded at around $13 at the beginning of February. As of now, it's around $6.72 a share.

I am more interested in the reasons you listed for buying this stock: "(solid company, very cheap stock right now, potential huge upside etc...)" That's a mouthful, but what does any of it mean? That's a rhetorical question, by the way.

In some ways, you remind of a few folks here. There was a person who bought C at $8 or something like that and thought he was gonna make a killing. Then there was another person who thought GM was super cheap at $6 or something like that. A $2 stock is expensive if it goes down to $1 after you buy it. On the other hand, a $100 stock is cheap if goes up to $150 after you buy it.

I could say more about this stock, but I am too lazy and incoherent to do a half-decent job. Instead, I will post some data considered to be useful in determining what stock to buy and when to buy it. Good luck, huh!

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg5/davidtr1/ScreenHunter_003.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by davidt1; 03-05-2009 at 01:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing