Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:27 PM

242 posts, read 732,973 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about doing a small investment test and was thinking of using one of those cheap day trade sites.

The charge of $7 a trade sounds good, but not for small trades.
But the ability to just do it when and how I want without a 'pro' talking me out of something or waiting for them to respond seems worth it.

so do any of you use them, do you like them? Any serious issues? Favorites?
Things to look out for?

It does not seem to allow you to trade currencies or other commodoties, which is a bummer.

What does your normal broker charge you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 05:24 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,063,095 times
First off, you can't "pattern day trade" with any broker unless you have $50K in the account. If you day trade more than 3 times (5 times?) a month they can hit you with a margin call requiring you to put that money down; the first time they'll give you a reprieve, second time they'll probably shut down your account and hit you with penalties.

Second, you can trade certain futures with these brokers, but commodities are represented mainly through exchange-traded funds (ETF). For example, GLD, which has substantial gold holdings and is intended to mimic the performance of "paper gold." If you want to actually own the commodity, then just buy gold bullion or whatever and rent a safe deposit box. It'll be less expensive than ETrade's nasty quarterly fees.

The best option for someone who just wants to dabble is a stock-exchange game like the VSE. The commission rates are too high to justify speculating with small money - take it from someone who fell into that trap and had to dedicate way too much time to reversing all the damage he did to his little retirement account.

Last edited by sonarrat; 03-30-2009 at 05:39 PM..

Old 03-30-2009, 05:30 PM

931 posts, read 3,792,526 times
Scottrade is $7 a trade (trade being buying AND selling)
E-Trade is $12.99 a trade

I use E-trade.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:13 PM

5,429 posts, read 6,195,180 times
I use ING Sharebuilder, which is NOT for daytraders, but I love it. I do my own research and buy my own picks, and automatic weekly trades at $4 a trade are cheap enough for me. It's a great site, and I urge you to check it out even if it isn't really suited to your needs. Good luck!

Old 03-30-2009, 07:43 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,336,218 times
I'm by no means very knowledgeable in these matters, but I had similar questions and started this thread.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/inves...er-advice.html

I received great help from several posters and after a little research went with Scottrade which has worked out nicely for my needs.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:16 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,791,229 times
I use Charles Schwab, but I dont day trade...mabe some month-trades but its 12.95 regardless.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:45 PM

378 posts, read 1,202,710 times
I use Scottrade and love it. Trades are $7.00 and executed instantly, and I've never had any issues. Also, they will allow you to day-trade with a $25,000 minimum.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:02 AM

879 posts, read 1,956,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
First off, you can't "pattern day trade" with any broker unless you have $50K in the account. If you day trade more than 3 times (5 times?) a month they can hit you with a margin call requiring you to put that money down;
This is incorrect. $25k is the minimum required for daytrading, and you get flagged a pattern daytrader for daytrading more than 3 times in a 5-business day period. (This just applies to DAYTRADES--you can trade as often as you like if they're overnight trades.)

Anyhoo, Thatguywho, it sounds like from your description that you may really just be looking for a discount broker as opposed to a full-service broker and not necessarily the best platform for daytrading. If you DO want a cheap daytrading platform and the ability to trade futures, forex, etc., Interactive Brokers is a popular one, but it's not for newbies. Better to start with a virtual trading site (like sonnarat suggested) or something like Scottrade first, IMHO.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:15 PM

242 posts, read 732,973 times
I do not really want to sit and play the stock market everyday, just buy stocks now and then. Buying less than 3 different companies a week could be hard and I am not gonna go all 'pattern for 25,000 alex' on it...

I imagine I can buy a whole bunch of different stocks at once and have it only count as one trade, we'll see.

I did decide on scottrade though due to I am only going to be buying 100 bucks of stocks here and there. Nothing big.

Seems like the right way to stay out of trouble to me.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:26 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,063,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguywho View Post
I do not really want to sit and play the stock market everyday, just buy stocks now and then. Buying less than 3 different companies a week could be hard and I am not gonna go all 'pattern for 25,000 alex' on it...

I imagine I can buy a whole bunch of different stocks at once and have it only count as one trade, we'll see.
Nope, they'll all count as different trades..

Quote:
I did decide on scottrade though due to I am only going to be buying 100 bucks of stocks here and there. Nothing big.

Seems like the right way to stay out of trouble to me.
If it's only $100 at a time then you might as well make a trip to Vegas, at least you get free booze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing