Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 12:36 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times

Advertisements

What books or websites do you recommend for learning more about the stock market and/or trading securities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 12:38 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
What books or websites do you recommend for learning more about the stock market and/or trading securities?
Motley fool: www.fool.com.

You can also learn a lot by reading smart people. Jason Kelly's Neatest Little Guide to Stock Market Investing is a winner, and his website is too.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:36 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Before the internet I used Money Magazine and Fortune and based on their reporting called the top performing mutual funds for prospectuses. Now you can go to those fund families websites and they have a lot of free info there. I also like Bloomberg.com and Finance.yahoo.com. Also watching CNBC you can learn a lot although a lot of the info is skewed to pump up investors to invest in the market when the fundamentals suggest it might not be such a good idea --- like with the banking sector.
Also nyse.com has loads of info. You can also do searches on YouTube for "day trading" or "stock market investing" and find some individuals that will share what they know on film clips. You can do the same searches on search engines and find sites with info. How about searching for "FREE or Low Cost Investor Education"?. Beware, some results will just be about the free introductory seminar for a very expensive and overpriced education like through "Investools" where they will charge you thousands of dollars for an education you could get for a few hundred elsewhere. I know I've been there done that. The book store has great books.

There are of course always the _____ for Dummies Series. They must have Investing for Dummies. I know they have Options trading for Dummies and Technical Analysis for Dummies

You can't learn everything you need to know from one book - THAT is for sure.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:06 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Before the internet I used Money Magazine and Fortune and based on their reporting called the top performing mutual funds for prospectuses. Now you can go to those fund families websites and they have a lot of free info there. I also like Bloomberg.com and Finance.yahoo.com. Also watching CNBC you can learn a lot although a lot of the info is skewed to pump up investors to invest in the market when the fundamentals suggest it might not be such a good idea --- like with the banking sector.
Also nyse.com has loads of info. You can also do searches on YouTube for "day trading" or "stock market investing" and find some individuals that will share what they know on film clips. You can do the same searches on search engines and find sites with info. How about searching for "FREE or Low Cost Investor Education"?. Beware, some results will just be about the free introductory seminar for a very expensive and overpriced education like through "Investools" where they will charge you thousands of dollars for an education you could get for a few hundred elsewhere. I know I've been there done that. The book store has great books.

There are of course always the _____ for Dummies Series. They must have Investing for Dummies. I know they have Options trading for Dummies and Technical Analysis for Dummies

You can't learn everything you need to know from one book - THAT is for sure.
Let me add to this INVESTOPEDIA.com is LOADED with educational tutorials

Old 05-12-2009, 07:34 PM

5,480 posts, read 6,305,303 times
I highly recommend two books by Peter Lynch: "One Up On Wall Street" and "Beating The Street". They are both great reading and an excellent source of common sense investing advice for the beginning stock or mutual fund investor. MUST READS FOR BEGINNERS!

Old 05-12-2009, 08:40 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,211 times
My simple suggestion is to look at some sites about
(a) choosing a portfolio based on your risk (E-trade and some sites have such tools). This is the most important step you will take - that is why I suggested looking at multiple sites. The rest is easy.
(b) going to some place like Vanguard to select low cost index funds that give you (a)
(c) Relax. With periodic reallocations, you will probably beat about 80% of the people who spend a lot of time studying about investing or buying/selling stocks etc.

Magazines like Money, Kiplinger etc are useful for finding out general articles about say 529s, taxes, etc - but I would not take their advise on investments.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:09 PM

975 posts, read 1,754,983 times
I understand the School of Hard Knocks has an excellent program for learning how to invest.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
I understand the School of Hard Knocks has an excellent program for learning how to invest.
Tuition's prohibitive.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:28 AM

975 posts, read 1,754,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Tuition's prohibitive.

But no matter how one trys to learn, attendance is mandatory sooner or later

Old 05-14-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
But no matter how one trys to learn, attendance is mandatory sooner or later
Which is why it's cheaper and safer to do your homework first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing