Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 11:21 AM

1,153 posts, read 3,588,355 times

Advertisements

I have some krupps from germany. Some kind of stock not sure what they are........acquired them from my grandmother......thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 11:35 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,396,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeds View Post
I have some krupps from germany. Some kind of stock not sure what they are........acquired them from my grandmother......thanks
Interesting. In the late 1960s, Friedrich Krupp (a privately held company) went public, and now is part of ThyssenKrupp. I think the a-word stands for AG, which I don't know what it means but is a common suffix for publicly traded German companies, such as one I do hold, Siemens AG.

Your certificates might entitle you to shares of ThyssenKrupp. How many shares you got?

Old 06-06-2009, 11:58 AM

975 posts, read 1,748,745 times
AG means corporation in German.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:59 AM

Default Krupp

NOT SURE HOW MANY SHARES I HAVE SINCE THEY ARE IN WRITTEN IN GERMAN.........PHYSICALLY I HAVE AT LEAST 10 PAPERS.......THERE IS A DATE OF 1908....TOP SAYS 4%-M2000 AND AGAIN IN ANOTHER SPOT 4% IGE ANLEIHE VON 50000000 Mark...AGAIN NOT SURE WHAT THIS MEANS

Old 06-06-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
NOT SURE HOW MANY SHARES I HAVE SINCE THEY ARE IN WRITTEN IN GERMAN.........PHYSICALLY I HAVE AT LEAST 10 PAPERS.......THERE IS A DATE OF 1908....TOP SAYS 4%-M2000 AND AGAIN IN ANOTHER SPOT 4% IGE ANLEIHE VON 50000000 Mark...AGAIN NOT SURE WHAT THIS MEANS
Those sound like bonds. F. Krupp issued no stock certificates before it went public.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:13 PM

Default Bonds vs stock..........what is the difference....etc

Wondering what the difference is.........etc........thanks

Old 06-06-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Wondering what the difference is.........etc........thanks
Stock certificates represent shares of ownership in a company. Nowadays people usually don't get the actual certificates when they buy stocks.

Bonds represent debt obligations, on which the borrower (bond issuer) must pay interest of a specified amount at specified intervals, and repay the principal at maturity. Holding a bond bears much resemblance to holding a bank CD, except that your bank CD's principal is probably guaranteed whereas a corporate bond is not (as GM's bondholders know all too well).

If these are dated 1908, they can't be stock certificates. They might be bonds. I've only read one book about Friedrich Krupp (the company name, not the man) and I don't specifically recall if they sold bonds, but it's quite possible. They were thoroughly in bed with the Imperial government (like any key defense contractor in any country), and they were also a company with very progressive employee benefits policies. It was a proud thing to be ein Kruppianer, as employees were called.

In the ideal case, you'd contact a German attorney with a background in securities law. You probably don't have one of those on retainer. If you want to really know whether you have the right to claim anything from these securities, that's what it'll take to interpret and disentangle the situation. Thankfully, Krupp was the household name in its day, Germany's premier gunsmith, cannonsmith and steel works. A German business attorney who didn't know the basic history of Krupp would be like an American business attorney who couldn't briefly summarize the history of IBM.

The best way you could handle this would be through a trustworthy German friend currently living in Germany, and you'd have to send her/him money to cover attorney's fees. You'd copy the documents, send the copies, have your friend take them to the attorney and get your answer as to whether there was anything you could do. You could then decide how to proceed. That would be cheaper than suddenly deciding to take your vacation in Germany and then spending half of it hoping the attorney answers your question before you have to go home.

And thanks for stopping posting in ALL CAPS. Everyone hates it. You'll get more answers if you post normally.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:54 PM

Default posting in caps........

I generally post in caps since my vision is not good.........not for any other reason

Old 06-06-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I generally post in caps since my vision is not good.........not for any other reason
Understandable, but trust me: the grief you'll get is not worth the gain. Plus, what you really want to read are the responses, and none of those will be in all caps. Your computer should have readability features that will help you better see what you're doing as you compose. Not getting on you, please realize, just trying to help.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:32 PM

48 posts, read 181,751 times
Like your other correspondents said, these are old bonds issued by Krupp AG the steelmaker. Whether or not they still have any value I of course wouldn't know, but depending on the maturity who knows (this presumes that after 2 World Wars they were not canceled)
Use your internet to find the ThyssenKrupp (or Krupp) website, find investor relations, and see if they have a inquiry email address. otherwise scan the web for firms which have data bases on old bonds.
Good luck.. Why do you have them so long anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing