Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 01:15 PM

620 posts, read 2,081,909 times

Advertisements

No point in arguing. More important than stock price/quantity is the quality of the match for the specific type of trade in mind. AAPL is an excellent choice both as a buy and hold and as a swing trade, especially for a one equity portfolio.

The safest, most effective strategy for a novice though, IMHO, is dollar cost averaging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 02:14 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,699,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post
No point in arguing. More important than stock price/quantity is the quality of the match for the specific type of trade in mind. AAPL is an excellent choice both as a buy and hold and as a swing trade, especially for a one equity portfolio.

The safest, most effective strategy for a novice though, IMHO, is dollar cost averaging.
I don't know. I'm a novice, I'm trying to see how it would apply to my situation.

Dollar cost averaging doesn't work so hot when you have high transaction costs relative to the amount you're investing, and are attempting to diversify what little you have across multiple investments.

I do employ it in my 401k, where I have mostly index funds, but for that transaction cost issues are not the same.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:34 PM

620 posts, read 2,081,909 times
Point of clarification: When I said novice in the above statement I was referring also to a young investor with a long event horizon. Hence the tolerance for lack of diversification and reference to one equity portfolio.

Yes, I agree. In the 401K, dollar cost averaging is almost a no brainer. It is easy. You set it in motion with a single action and then at predefined (usually payroll schedule) intervals, additional funds are added to purchase more of the specified assets, usually investment funds. As the market moves up and down, small amounts are purchased based on the calendar, some of which are under favorable conditions, while some are not. However if the overall trend is up, and in a time horizon window of 10 years or more it usually is, odds are good for a better than market return on investment. Perhaps it should be noted at this point that not every investor can read the market and make the correct moves in front of the shifting tide. By using a calendar based entry system, one doesn't have to be able to predict the market. If the market is going down, each successive purchase averages down the cost basis of the existing portfolio while it is shrinking in value. When the market is going up, the portfolio appreciates value along with the incremental purchases along the way.

But, dollar cost averaging, absent the automatic payroll deposit/distribution, is still possible with discipline. For example, in a roll over IRA or brokerage account one can set automatic weekly deposits and then manually distribute quarterly. This has an added advantage of being able to hold an ill timed distribution under the perception of an unfavorable entry point. It's still dollar cost averaging as long as one is purchasing more of the same asset to average down the cost basis.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:17 PM

3,765 posts, read 5,309,275 times
Dollar-cost averaging also works for those of us who use discount brokers and re-invest the dividend payments back into the companies. As share prices drop, the dividend re-investments buy a greater amount of shares. I keep track of my dollar-cost averages and can see it dropping quarterly after dividends get sent out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing