Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 10:10 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,407,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
For the OP, most buyout's are either a symbol change - you get 3 shares of ABC in exchange for every 1 share of XYZ, or you get a check.
Actually, the definitive terms for each specific acquisition are widely available--jus google it. This is from the news release from Covidien: " The Board of Directors of both companies unanimously approved the transaction, pursuant to which a wholly owned subsidiary of Covidien will pay $2.08 in cash per share of PMI common stock."

That snippet tells the story--this was a cash deal, not a stock-for-stock acquisition. If you hold the certificate you get a letter of transmittal to send in your stock in order to collect, or else the shares are just cancelled and you get a check in the mail. For shares held in a brokerage account, the shares disappear and the money shows up. Instructions are sent to each shareholder.

You can find out a lot just by looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 03:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,829 times
Default Shares

My mother has been approached by a Us company who want to buy her shares for a considerable amount. She has no share certs , poss lost. The company say this is not a problem. Is this a scam ???

Old 07-15-2012, 02:54 PM

14,466 posts, read 20,640,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dea13 View Post
Hello,

Bought stock in PMII at $.52 and now they are being acquired by Covidien for $2.08 per share of common stock. I wanted to keep this for a few years.

What does that mean for me? Does my stock convert to Covidien shares or do they essentially buy out the shares and I would just have to take the short-term gain?

Assume you already got your cash.....and maybe even spent it by now.

Under the terms of the agreement, Covidien (NYSE:COV), based in Dublin, Ireland, will pay $2.08 in cash per share of Power Medical common stock and assume certain debts of the company.
Power Medical Inventions to be sold to Covidien - Philadelphia Business Journal

Old 07-15-2012, 02:59 PM

14,466 posts, read 20,640,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debsbell View Post
My mother has been approached by a Us company who want to buy her shares for a considerable amount. She has no share certs , poss lost. The company say this is not a problem. Is this a scam ???
Sounds, slightly fishy.
Do you have all of this information for the "company" that contacted her?

1. Name of the company.
2. Their full address.
3. Their fax number.
4. Their phone number.
5. Their website.
6. Their e-mail address.

Have you written to their addresses, and called the phone numbers, to verify they are all working?

How did they approach you Mother?

I get proxy materials from my broker, not the company directly.

Your broker should know about it.
Call and ask them.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,566 times
Default When a company purchases another

I am contemplating purchasing stock but the company I want to buy stock in is closing in the beginning of August with their purchase of another company becoming the 3rd largest in the world. My question is will the stock prices drop dramatically right before the buy out or will it keep on increasing in value up through the buy out without affecting the stock at all? The stock was at $5.11 in November and has been on a constant rise to $14.33 now.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:25 PM

2 posts, read 1,327 times
I am holding stock for my deceased husband. Now the I am in need of money. I called Gould Inc. and found out is not the same that is trading in the market.
Was told that Gould Inc. sold the Company in 1989 to a Japanese Company in Tokyo.
How can I find out how much they paid out when they bought Gould Inc. And how do I get the money for the stocks. I owned the same property since we bought the stock in 1978. The Gould Co. employee said that at the time they mailed notices to all stock holder. We never received such notice. My husband pass away in June 1989 and I was holding the stock waiting for a time when I needed money.
Please help I am a disabled 70 yr. old widow. Thank you.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:46 PM

2,746 posts, read 1,781,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doratomax View Post
I am holding stock for my deceased husband. Now the I am in need of money. I called Gould Inc. and found out is not the same that is trading in the market.
Was told that Gould Inc. sold the Company in 1989 to a Japanese Company in Tokyo.
How can I find out how much they paid out when they bought Gould Inc. And how do I get the money for the stocks. I owned the same property since we bought the stock in 1978. The Gould Co. employee said that at the time they mailed notices to all stock holder. We never received such notice. My husband pass away in June 1989 and I was holding the stock waiting for a time when I needed money.
Please help I am a disabled 70 yr. old widow. Thank you.
What should have happened is the paying agent for the buyout in 1989 should have held the money you were entitled to for a set period of time (varies from state to state) usually 3 - 7 years. At the end of that time, if its unclaimed they turn it over to the state treasury for either the state you lived in (whatever address they had) or the state where the company was incorporated (which is more often than not Delaware).

Check with Delaware and your state treasury's unclaimed property web site and do a search to see if it's there. If it isn't, I'm not sure what else can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing