Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 04:56 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times

Advertisements

At 7 am ET 8/17/09 the Dow is down -176, S&P -20.
“The rally in risk assets has become overextended as it has run ahead of the improvement in fundamentals,” Lee Hardman, a currency strategist at Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ Ltd. in London, wrote in an e-mailed report. “The dollar and yen have been boosted by a pickup in safe-haven demand.”
Stocks Slide on Economy Concern; Yen, Dollar, Treasuries Gain - Bloomberg.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 08:29 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
The market is due a correction. I would not be surprised to see it fall below 9000.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:08 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
At the end of the day on Thursday 8-13, I moved all of my 401K money out of stock funds into money market funds....and I'm glad I made the move! My inner investor kept telling me to get out now. I ignored that guy ( my inner investor ) last fall and took a beating. Nonetheless, I didn't panic so I kept my money in stock funds. With the big uptick since the crash, coupled with my ongoing contributions, my 401K is back to 92% of its peak value in May-08. It still hurts, but not as much as it did when it was waaaaaaay down in the dirt back in March-09.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:39 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
At the end of the day on Thursday 8-13, I moved all of my 401K money out of stock funds into money market funds....and I'm glad I made the move! My inner investor kept telling me to get out now. I ignored that guy ( my inner investor ) last fall and took a beating. Nonetheless, I didn't panic so I kept my money in stock funds. With the big uptick since the crash, coupled with my ongoing contributions, my 401K is back to 92% of its peak value in May-08. It still hurts, but not as much as it did when it was waaaaaaay down in the dirt back in March-09.
My inner investor told me to buy some FAZ in March.

He may need some more experience.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:13 PM

5,470 posts, read 6,290,008 times
Ok folks, take a DEEEEP breath and relax. This is nothing more than a common pullback that is typical after the kind of runs we've had recently. It won't add up to much when all is said and done, and it represents a great buying opportunity for any decent stock that you are long in.

For the second time in recent days, I feel the need to post my favorite investing quote:

Quote: "Bargains are the holy grail of the true stockpicker. The fact the 10 to 30 percent of our net worth is lost in a market sell-off is of little consequence. We see the latest correction not as a disaster but as an opportunity to acquire more shares at low prices. This is how great fortunes are made over time."

-Peter Lynch

Old 08-17-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
My inner investor told me to buy some FAZ in March.

He may need some more experience.
LOL ... I had some brokers trying to sell me bear funds like FAZ in March and April. They were convinced that the market would be down at 5000.

I did buy some FAZ in July and, although I am losing money on it, I have covered some of my losses through selling calls. I also own FAS and any losses on FAZ have been more than covered by gains on that stock.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:48 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,888,756 times
Its been a powerful rally. I think the question is, how low does this correction go.

The market falling below 8,000 or 7,500 wouldnt be good technically.

Wouldnt be suprised if the market went flat for awhile, maybe for the rest of the year. Its already been a huge rally off the low.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Its been a powerful rally. I think the question is, how low does this correction go.

The market falling below 8,000 or 7,500 wouldnt be good technically.

Wouldnt be suprised if the market went flat for awhile, maybe for the rest of the year. Its already been a huge rally off the low.
Well ... I usually get it wrong anyway. A while ago I predicted that the market would trade in a range 8200 - 8700 for a while and then it went up to 9300. I do think the market is oversold and it could very easily drop to 8800 - 8900. But will it .......... ?????

Old 08-17-2009, 06:05 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,756,527 times
The first thing I do after I turn on the coffee pot in the morning is to check the Asian financial markets. Hong Kong and China, the Hang Seng index. This usually indicates where the U.S. markets will head. We are so closely linked to the trajectory of the Asian markets & they're sliding right now. We'll probably continue to follow suit in the near term.

This is a global situation, and no economy will do anything in complete isolation. However, there is a better upside to Asia and other emerging sectors long term than that of our battered U.S. economy for the foreseeable future. There is limited growth or production in the U.S. at the moment, but lots of credit woes and a dollar that isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

This bear market rally was basically brought about from money that was sitting on the sidelines and thrown in based on flimsy data and high hopes. Now the indicators are so strong, they can no longer pretend that, as Jim Cramer phrased it, "The recession is over!" Far from it my friend.

It's going to be a bumpy ride, but according to what I'm reading, we may have a buying opportunity this fall. In the meantime, don't spend money on anything that you absolutely do not need.

Last edited by Adream; 08-17-2009 at 06:28 PM..

Old 08-17-2009, 08:19 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post

It's going to be a bumpy ride, but according to what I'm reading, we may have a buying opportunity this fall. In the meantime, don't spend money on anything that you absolutely do not need.
Out of curiosity why do you say fall?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing