Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 12:19 AM

295 posts, read 1,169,174 times

Advertisements

My knowledge regarding stocks, mutual funds, etc.. is almost zero. I came from a country where majority of people dont know about stock market neither do they invest in it.

After living in the US for a few years, I was able to save some money. It is currently in the bank. And the interest is so low.

I am not a gambler and high risk is NO for me.

All I want is an investment where the interest rate is equal or slightly higher than the inflation rate.

Which investments offer these rates?

Thanks,

Last edited by Oildog; 03-05-2010 at 11:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 03:02 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2bPinoy View Post
My knowledge regarding stocks, mutual funds, etc.. is almost zero. I came from a country where majority of people dont know sh.it about stock market neither do they invest in it.

After living in the US for a few years, I was able to save some money. It is currently in the bank. And the interest is so low.

I am not a gambler and high risk is NO for me.

All I want is an investment where the interest rate is equal or slightly higher than the inflation rate.

Which investments offer these rates?

Thanks,
Certificates of deposit, US treasuries (also inflation-linked known as TIPS), insured investment grade municipal bonds (tax free), investment grade corporate bonds, roughly in that order.

Good Luck!

Old 03-03-2010, 11:34 PM

5 posts, read 14,403 times
As you have not mentioned the name of country, it is a bit difficult to advise about the invest option you want as interest rates vary from country to country. You can do some online research for this.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:09 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy26 View Post
As you have not mentioned the name of country, it is a bit difficult to advise about the invest option you want as interest rates vary from country to country. You can do some online research for this.
I know which one it is (kumusta, OP), but it isn't relevant. The OP is looking for US investments of US-based funds. Doesn't matter whether he came from Andorra or Zambia or someplace in between.

TIPS might well be the way to go, especially with the low risk tolerance stated. bale02's advice was direct and to the point.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:33 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
You need to sit down with someone to help you with this. Not knowing your financial situation, your age, your goals, etc. getting random advice on the internet isn't going to help you much. If you are 23 and want to park your money in a CD, I would say that is more risky then putting your money in a nice conservative mutual fund, for example.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:24 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Very true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
You need to sit down with someone to help you with this. Not knowing your financial situation, your age, your goals, etc. getting random advice on the internet isn't going to help you much. If you are 23 and want to park your money in a CD, I would say that is more risky then putting your money in a nice conservative mutual fund, for example.
Over reliance on CDs nearly left some of my elderly relatives wiped out. There have been a few periods where, because of unique circumstances in banking sector and the actions of the broad market, CDs have been a way to at least tread water with savings, but NOW is not one of them. CDs right now may be technically paying more than the "core inflation rate" BUT NOT ENOUGH TO keep pace with changes in the costs for ENERGY and other goods that are not part of the inflation measure.

For the OP, a young person with presumably a long term horizon for their savings growth, the obvious choice in such a case is a Mutual Fund (or ETF) that similarly has a stated goal of "long term capital appreciation" AS WELL AS THE track record to back that up. You can use various 'screeners' at pretty much all the major investor companies to pull together data that will help you find such investments. I believe that if you do a little bit of homework on your own you will benefit FAR MORE than relying on some one else's "picks" and you will have the motivation to compare the performance of the fund you selected to it peers in a regular basis.

Right now you can find many funds that are very appropriate for this kind of thing. I am reluctant to say any one is "better" than others. I do however, thing it is important to get a sense for "what to look for", so I will post an example: Nuveen Tradewinds Value Opportunities I (NVORX) - Google Finance

If you look at the page there is a scary dip right at the end of 2008/ beginning of 2009, BUT since that correlates with basically all other investments in the whole world you can almost ignore it. The fact is even with that dip the folks that manage this fund have done an outstanding job for an extended period. The 3 year return in 5.53%, 5 year return is 11.61%, and even more impressively they have done this with an "beta" (measure of volatility) that is very very slightly less than 1.00, which is technically a way of saying that these fund managers have been able to get these returns WHILE BEING LESS effected by price swings than the overall market. Beta Very impressive.

Because of those measures (and others, which are more technical) the fund has earned a Morningstar rating of 5 stars for both 3 & 5 years -- that is an OBJECTIVE measure based an a calculation of the relative risk adjusted return of similar funds that means it has top 90% performance. Pretty impressive: Morningstar.com - Data FAQ Page Now there are LOTS of other funds that MAY outperform this one, but the statistical correlation of a fund falling from the top 10% in both 3 & 5 year down to a category in the bottom is rare. Thus by looking at that rating you have some assurance that "the wheels won't come off this thing" in sorta the same way that a Consumer Reports guide to used cars is useful...

Remember, you can't beat the market forever, and you may be wise to read some the very good books by Peter Lynch, John Bogle, Charles Ellis and others. No investment is EVER really a "set in and forget" thing. You need to understand how the whole process works and what is realistic.

Good Luck!

Old 04-04-2010, 12:17 AM

764 posts, read 1,557,417 times
Chet Everett has some great advise, bravo.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:07 PM

103 posts, read 213,027 times
You can invest in Gold!

Old 04-05-2010, 09:48 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
For life, sure, that's more risky. For the short term, it makes complete sense to put the money somewhere safe while getting educated.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:04 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2bPinoy View Post

Assuming you don't have an emergency fund, this is good place for it. The trade-off for that low interest rate is that you can go get that money in the next 10 minutes if you want.

Investments are all well and good, but won't do you a bit of good if your car breaks down and you need to get it fixed.

In general:

Build and emergency fund,
Pay off your debt,
THEN think about investing.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing