Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 08:53 PM

18,448 posts, read 15,218,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingduck41 View Post
No offense to anyone here, but it's clear that no one that has replied is a professional trader. If I'm wrong, I apologize in advance.

I would absolutely steer you away from getting into this game. If you are doing it to prove people wrong, that is a horrible reason to do so. It is the most competitive business on the planet. You will be directly competing with very experienced traders who are either very smart, very well educated, or both.

Even if you are as genetically suited to this business as possible, it will still probably take you years to become consistently profitable.

If you decide to go through with it, DO NOT start with futures unless you have about 50k you can lose without it affecting your life style. Seriously. I'd open an account that allows you to trade mini contracts (forex comes to mind) and just be prepared to work your ass off, day in, day out, probably for about 5-10 years. That's just how it is.
Thanks for giving me a little more than the usual "Commodities are bad. Dont do it." I am not "doing it to prove people wrong." I am considering it because I find it interesting. Proving people wrong is just the icing on the cake. And I certainly know what it is like to "work my ass off for 10 years."

I have always been under the impression that forex was strictly for currency trading. Is this correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 01:07 AM

378 posts, read 1,287,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Thanks for giving me a little more than the usual "Commodities are bad. Dont do it." I am not "doing it to prove people wrong." I am considering it because I find it interesting. Proving people wrong is just the icing on the cake. And I certainly know what it is like to "work my ass off for 10 years."

I have always been under the impression that forex was strictly for currency trading. Is this correct?
NP, just telling you what I believe to be the truth. Trading is very interesting and challenging in my opinion. Once you become proficient at it, it is like playing the greatest game on the planet.

Forex is strictly for currency trading. I know you mentioned futures trading, but consider this: the spot currencies (forex) are 99%+ correlated with the currency futures (traded at CME). However with forex you can trade "mini contracts" that have 1/10 of the tick value of regular sized contracts. CME also offers minis but they are not very liquid and I would not recommend them. I would strongly recommend trading minis to start. You really want to be in a position to be as patient as possible without losing a lot of money.

Work ethic is very important so if you have that, great. I'd say it takes about 10,000 hours of screen time to become proficient. I mean, a lot of your competition will have that or more.

One last thing I forgot: if you are planning on day-trading, then forex is not the way to go because brokers charge a spread that will essentially be death by a thousand cuts. But trading that a bit longer term (and thus lessening the impact of the bid/ask spread) is a good way to learn how to trade I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing