U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-22-2011, 07:10 PM

4 posts, read 5,951 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to decide between Mediacom and Qwest for internet. Mediacom seems to have the cable market cornered, and Qwest the DSL market. I am interested in internet ONLY, too. I'm not a TV or landline user. My question is do any of you have experience with the two providers? I'm interested in who has the lower ping, does either/both block P2P protocols, monitor usage, or have actual delivered speeds significantly lower than advertised? Many thanks for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 11:01 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,136,293 times
I've got the basic DSL from Qwest. Does what I need it to, and I think I'm paying $40/mo. Cable would be faster, but more expensive. I am usually able to stream movies and TV and streaming music never hiccups. If I were staying here longer, I may consider paying to upgrade to the next level up DSL, just to make the video streaming a touch more reliable. I haven't done much for gaming, so I don't know how that goes.

I don't have much to say about service, as I haven't had much for problems. In 3 years, I called tech service once and they deduced that my modem/router was shot, so I had to go buy a new one. They charged me several dollars for that call, which I wasn't too impressed with, but that was my only problem.

I haven't tried speed testing from here. If there is a particular site or tool you use where you are know, let me know and I will try it for comparison.

I have no idea about monitoring, P2P, etc. I won't bother to ask why you need to know

Old 06-06-2011, 11:54 AM

9 posts, read 17,200 times
mediacom is fast but their service is BAD. They change pricing whenever they want. The speed is good when it works. But like this morning my router was rebooted 2 times for firmware updates. They do this a lot to keep off people using their own routers. The trouble is when your router comes back and asks for a new IP their DHCP server is overworked from the service being oversold and you won't get an IP address everytime.
Phone calls to them are useless. Only way I ever got them to come out was when I threatened to leave to go qwest. Too bad qwest is DSL since I don't have a phone, it would be more money for less speed.
After having 8 options for internet in Atlanta I am spoiled. The 2 options here in Iowa City are monopolies and they know it.

If uptime is your option of choice then get qwest.
If speed is needed at 95% updtime on average get mediacom.
they both suck, but they don't block anything p2p wise.

I have been an IT guy for 20 years FYI.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:30 PM

4 posts, read 5,951 times
Thank you very much for your reply. It was most informative! I'm going with qwest. At the high end, speed is overrated, and that tiny bit of extra downtime always comes when it is least convenient.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:02 PM

6 posts, read 5,596 times
So you guys are saying there are only 2 Internet service providers. Or can you get service via a bundle like TV phone and Internet via Verizon or dish?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
View detailed profiles of: