U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 11:34 AM

3 posts, read 9,324 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend and I are considering an 18 month move to the Iowa City area for a graduate program.

We currently live in the Hudson Valley area of New York, and live in a quiet country house. Since this would be a temporary move if we do it, we would be looking to rent a place rather than buy, but would be interested in renting a house with a similar setup--(quiet, in a scene with some natural beauty, and not terribly far from the city--say within 20-30min drive?). We don't have kids, so school district is not an issue, and we wouldn't need an especially big place for the two of us. Mainly looking for a tranquil spot, with good enough access to the university/city, at a decent price.

Are there particular towns/areas/places you would recommend for something in this vein? Particular sources to explore for matches, if craigslist isn't the best option there? Rough price range we should expect?

Any guidance you can provide will be a huge help to us as we explore this. Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 02:31 PM

1,416 posts, read 1,825,232 times
West Branch (east of Iowa City), and Williamsburg (west of IC) are nice small towns that may have the type of rental you're looking for. Maybe a 10-20 minute drive into IC at the most.

Just north of IC, (going north on Dubuque Street/Interstate 80) you might be able to find a small older rental. Even though most of those homes tend to be more upscale, there still might be a few older farm houses in the area, if you're lucky. The scenery there is beautiful with a couple of lakes (Lake MacBride and Coralville reservoir). Also Solon and the outer parts of North Liberty are worth looking into.

Mt. Vernon is also a very nice small town, but more of a drive ... 30 minutes minimum, which may be more difficult in the winter.

As far as price of rentals, I can't help you there, but the further you get from IC, the less expensive it should be.

Last edited by ennaf; 03-13-2014 at 02:56 PM..

Old 03-13-2014, 03:53 PM

Many thanks for the reply Rigizug, this is really helpful. I'll look into each of those areas.

Do you think craigslist the best way to go to find rentals in this vein, or are there other local sources (whether papers, real estate professionals, etc.) that are a better bet?

Old 03-13-2014, 05:09 PM

1,416 posts, read 1,825,232 times
I would give them all a try, craigslist, local papers, and real estate companies. The following link might give you an idea of what rentals might go for, although many rentals shown will be in town. Just type in the name of the community in the upper right-hand corner. Maybe the graduate department at school could direct you to some local resources? just a thought.

Iowa Realty has a good reputation in Iowa, and Lepic-Kroeger is big in IC.

Houses for Rent in Iowa - Iowa City House Rentals

Other areas I forgot to mention earlier are Tiffin (about 10 minutes from IC) or Tipton. I'd also check out Swisher which is between Cedar Rapids and IC on Interstate 380. More rural in that area. Also south of IC, I think it would be less expensive, but not as scenic with no real town.

Last edited by ennaf; 03-13-2014 at 06:13 PM..

Old 03-14-2014, 07:39 PM

63 posts, read 91,617 times
Hills is a smaller town, you might be able to find something there. Shueyville is north of Iowa City and that might help. Solon is NE of iowa city. All of which are around your distance requirement.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:46 PM

34,830 posts, read 33,716,983 times
West Liberty is about 15 miles and there are quite a few little towns on the way to Cedar Rapids or toward Davenport and the opposite direction toward Des Moines.
Riverside is a nice small town, Hills isn't bad and Lone Tree isn't that far either.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:25 PM

Many thanks for each of these great replies. My girlfriend and I will likely do a visit sometime in the coming few weeks, including checking out prospects in these towns. I'll definitely update here with any news or further questions, and will keep an eye out for any further thoughts that come up meanwhile. Sincere thanks!

Old 03-14-2014, 09:53 PM

34,830 posts, read 33,716,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyquestion View Post
Many thanks for each of these great replies. My girlfriend and I will likely do a visit sometime in the coming few weeks, including checking out prospects in these towns. I'll definitely update here with any news or further questions, and will keep an eye out for any further thoughts that come up meanwhile. Sincere thanks!

Once you get there you definitely want to shop at HyVee and Fareway and a few of the smaller markets around.
Fareway has a great meat counter if you are a meat eater.
HyVee has dang near everything on the planet I think.
There is a Co-Op out closer to the Mall but I cannot remember the name of the shop.
The Amana's are not that far from Iowa City, great restaurants, small shops, fudge, popcorn, bakery, winery, leather shop, excellent fabric shop (if you like that sort of stuff), a great kitchen shop called the Kitchen Sink, and other miscellaneous shops.
Williamsburg is also a good outlet mall if you want to drive a bit further and wander around the shops on a nice day.
Lots of nook and crannie shops not far from the University for just about anything you need depending on what you like.
Java House for a good pour over coffee, pastry or hot tea, wifi and fairly quiet most of the time (in my experience).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City