Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 02:29 PM

310 posts, read 1,278,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Hi there, can you compare and contrast Boise and Iowa City?

Oh that's easy! Boise is like a bigger version of Iowa City with mountains. Boise also doesn't have the brutal mid-continent winters like Iowa and the high humidity of a midwest summer. Lots more sunshine in Boise as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 03:39 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,098,034 times
How does the cost of living compare between the two cities? (Iowa City & Boise)

Old 04-17-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
How does the cost of living compare between the two cities? (Iowa City & Boise)
about the same

Old 04-20-2009, 09:00 AM

6 posts, read 18,008 times
Thanks Chicago for the great pictures. I had to laugh at one of them especially because my husband is in it listening to one of the bands. I told him he was in a picture online and I thought it was hilarious. Thanks! The pictures are great - I miss Iowa so much!!!!!

Old 04-21-2009, 06:01 PM

65 posts, read 239,081 times
oh i love iowa city so much, just the mix of urban and rural is perfect

Old 04-21-2009, 07:38 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,078,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPerkins33 View Post
Oh that's easy! Boise is like a bigger version of Iowa City with mountains. Boise also doesn't have the brutal mid-continent winters like Iowa and the high humidity of a midwest summer. Lots more sunshine in Boise as well
Hmm, well Boise might be a bigger version of Iowa City, and about 6 degrees warmer in winter and roughly equal in summer, culturally the cities are very very different.

Iowa City is a much more progressive/liberal/democratic place than Boise. It's more-so than most places in the country though.

While Boise voted for McCain with over a 6% margin, in Iowa City it was towards Obama by over 32%.

Iowa City has a SLIGHTLY lower cost of living, but really they're basically the same.

Iowa City tends to be very focused on education, with the University of Iowa being a HUGE influence in town, ACT Testing and the Iowa City schools. It's a college town through and through.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Hmm, well Boise might be a bigger version of Iowa City, and about 6 degrees warmer in winter and roughly equal in summer, culturally the cities are very very different.

Iowa City is a much more progressive/liberal/democratic place than Boise. It's more-so than most places in the country though.

While Boise voted for McCain with over a 6% margin, in Iowa City it was towards Obama by over 32%.

Iowa City has a SLIGHTLY lower cost of living, but really they're basically the same.

Iowa City tends to be very focused on education, with the University of Iowa being a HUGE influence in town, ACT Testing and the Iowa City schools. It's a college town through and through.

Roughly equal in the summer?! Not a chance, even with mid-continent humidity in Iowa it is MUCH MUCH MUCH hotter in Boise in the summer, it is well over 100 degrees here for much of July and August. Last summer we had close to 50 days straight with temps over 100 and 60 straight days without a drop of rain.

And that "6 degrees warmer in the winter" is also crap, we had maybe 7 or 8 days total this whole winter with daytime highs below 32 degrees, I was back in Iowa City for 10 days over Christmas and every single day was below 32. It is downright HOT here in the winter compared to Iowa City.

And I wouldn't say the cost of living is cheaper in Iowa City, I find I am paying less in groceries, rent, and fuel.

The cities aren't "very very" different culturally as well. It may seem that way from someone who hasn't lived in both cities but having lived in both, I see very FEW differences, namely the Basque influence here in Boise (which isn't very noticeable unless you are looking for it).

And you don't need to try and tell me about Iowa City, I lived there my entire life until this past summer.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:32 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,850,134 times
Quote:
Roughly equal in the summer?! Not a chance, even with mid-continent humidity in Iowa it is MUCH MUCH MUCH hotter in Boise in the summer, it is well over 100 degrees here for much of July and August. Last summer we had close to 50 days straight with temps over 100 and 60 straight days without a drop of rain.

And that "6 degrees warmer in the winter" is also crap, we had maybe 7 or 8 days total this whole winter with daytime highs below 32 degrees, I was back in Iowa City for 10 days over Christmas and every single day was below 32. It is downright HOT here in the winter compared to Iowa City.

And I wouldn't say the cost of living is cheaper in Iowa City, I find I am paying less in groceries, rent, and fuel.

The cities aren't "very very" different culturally as well. It may seem that way from someone who hasn't lived in both cities but having lived in both, I see very FEW differences, namely the Basque influence here in Boise (which isn't very noticeable unless you are looking for it).

And you don't need to try and tell me about Iowa City, I lived there my entire life until this past summer.
As far as a place to raise children, are both cities similar? I know the IC schools are good, but what have you learned about the Boise schools? Are they as good as IC's? Would love to hear more from you, as both places are of interest to us. Thanks so much.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
As far as a place to raise children, are both cities similar? I know the IC schools are good, but what have you learned about the Boise schools? Are they as good as IC's? Would love to hear more from you, as both places are of interest to us. Thanks so much.

I have no idea about k-12 education up here, head to the Boise Area forum on here and ask there, they would know more about that than I would. Wouldn't know about raising kids either, I have none.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:29 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,078,026 times
Quote:

I was just going off this: National and Local Weather Forecast, Hurricane, Radar and Report

Boise - Month / High / Low

Jan 37°F 24°F
Feb 45°F 29°F
Mar 54°F 34°F
Apr 62°F 39°F
May 71°F 47°F
Jun 80°F 54°F
Jul 89°F 60°F
Aug 88°F 60°F
Sep 77°F 51°F
Oct 64°F 41°F
Nov 48°F 32°F
Dec 37°F 24°F

Iowa City / Month / High / Low

Jan 30°F 13°F
Feb 37°F 19°F
Mar 49°F 30°F
Apr 63°F 41°F
May 75°F 52°F
Jun 84°F 62°F
Jul 88°F 66°F
Aug 85°F 64°F F
Sep 78°F 56°F
Oct 66°F 44°F
Nov 48°F 31°F
Dec 34°F 19°F

Cost of living: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney.com

Iowa City Salary: $50,000

Boise Salary : $50,157

They're virtually the same.

I would think Des Moines to Boise would be a much better comparison on many levels. Population, politics, employment, state Capitals, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City