Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2015, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,108 times

Advertisements

I responded to an ad for an apartment in Ely, Iowa. Halfway between Cedar Rapids, and Iowa City, Iowa.
It was for an apartment 635. a month. The management showed the apt, to us on Saturday, we said we would take it, she gave us the application and said their was a 35.00 fee per person, background checks and such. so we said we will take it, and we went home and filled out application, took the applications back Sunday, along with the 70.00 check. Tuesday I called her to see when we could move in and she said we passed the background check, but the unit has been taken. I said, what... she said the unit was already rented, but she may have one coming open later. I never got my 70.00 back... Is this legal, or fraud?

Last edited by daves2023; 08-28-2015 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: change friday to saturday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 01:45 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,114,758 times
I think it's legal as long as she actually did the back ground checks and us the money for that purpose. But, ethically she should have told you that there were other people she was also checking out. But, if you are uncertain you might want to check with an attorney spoecializing in tenant laws.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:52 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,070,761 times
That is the simple action of fraud. Iowa's laws are very friendly to land laws and may have legalized this form of fraud. Since she showed you an apartment and indicated it was available, you have a right to demand the money. Don't be afraid to bring the police into it and to post your review online.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:34 PM

400 posts, read 567,115 times
My guess would be legal. She had other applicants that were more qualified than you. IMHO, it would have been nice of her to indicate that she had other applicants. But I don't think it's a requirement.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:53 PM

4,826 posts, read 6,833,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
That is the simple action of fraud. Iowa's laws are very friendly to land laws and may have legalized this form of fraud. Since she showed you an apartment and indicated it was available, you have a right to demand the money. Don't be afraid to bring the police into it and to post your review online.
In my opinion, she pulled a fast one on you and ripped you off for the $ 70. I'd do what lurtsman said and contact the police. If the apartment was available and you would be the tenant if ALL that was necessary for to rent it to you was the background check, then and only then can I understand the charge.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:32 AM

400 posts, read 567,115 times
I'd say you will get a better response if you post this in the rental forum. There are a lot of landlords on there who deal with this sort of thing daily. My understanding is that you said you would take it, and they said they would get back to you after a background check. So there was not even a verbal agreement in place.

Background checks cost money. I'd assume they have multiple applicants and selected a tenant that was more qualified than you.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:57 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,070,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG1572 View Post
I'd say you will get a better response if you post this in the rental forum. There are a lot of landlords on there who deal with this sort of thing daily. My understanding is that you said you would take it, and they said they would get back to you after a background check. So there was not even a verbal agreement in place.

Background checks cost money. I'd assume they have multiple applicants and selected a tenant that was more qualified than you.
They have no business charging more than one tenant and running one background check at once without telling everyone who is behind "potential customer #1" that they already have someone they are considering and that their money may be wasted.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:04 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,630,266 times
Your state may have a group you can get in touch with called the Omsbudsmen. Call them as they should be able to give you some info. This problem seems to fall into a grey zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City