U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-30-2008, 04:59 PM

38 posts, read 88,935 times
Default Sustainability in Iowa City

We are considering a move to Iowa City soon, soon, soon, and will be buying a newer home, though not necessarily brand new. Can anyone speak to the quality of home construction there? We don't want to have to think about our home, as we have two small children to think about! Also, we're not handy. I guess I'm wondering if there are some areas/developments to avoid? Also, can anyone speak to whether there are any eco-friendly housing options there? Or sustainable-minded developments? Any advice is welcomed!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 05:03 PM

209 posts, read 789,353 times
I do not know a whole lot about Iowa City, I know that there are very high quality homes in the suburb of North Liberty... Which has exploded, second growing city in Iowa... right behind my city .

No matter where in Iowa City/Johnson County you move, you will be happy, I know several friends in that area who are very happy with their quality of life.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:17 PM

378 posts, read 643,794 times
I have not ready anywhere that Peosta is the fastest growing city in Iowa.

Jasper Hobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubuqueaskme View Post
I do not know a whole lot about Iowa City, I know that there are very high quality homes in the suburb of North Liberty... Which has exploded, second growing city in Iowa... right behind my city .

No matter where in Iowa City/Johnson County you move, you will be happy, I know several friends in that area who are very happy with their quality of life.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:30 PM

2,268 posts, read 5,472,942 times
Think he's talking about Dubuque but I'm not sure I even believe that.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:40 PM

378 posts, read 643,794 times
Well he says in his post that Iowa city is fastest growing city behind my city and he lives in Peosta so he must mean Peosta. Would be kind of odd to live in one town and promote another.

Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Think he's talking about Dubuque but I'm not sure I even believe that.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:53 PM

296 posts, read 897,552 times
futurecitizen -- the Iowa City builders do a nice job. There aren't any fly-by-nights -- the builder's association is tight and they keep an eye out for anyone who might give them a black eye.

Oddly, while Iowa City is extremely green in many ways, I am not aware of any developments devoted to sustainability concepts. Okay, wait... I have a vague recollection of something along those lines and found this reprint of a Gazette article on the subject: absoluteDSM.com :: View topic - Iowa City/Coralville: Affordable, hip, green housing? Sounds like fun, huh?

Then there's this guy: Radish Magazine - Healthy living from the ground up

Best wishes on the move. I think you'll be happy in Iowa City pretty much wherever you live.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:34 PM

2,073 posts, read 3,682,330 times
I don't live in IA City nor have I ever lived there, but I've been around the newer areas and can tell you it is similar to most of the new developments in general around IA. They build pretty good quality homes around our state. Some areas around are growing so fast they build them so they're up in a week so they can just fill in the neighborhood and get there money already, but I don't think this is the case in IA and I think you will find very good quality.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:22 PM

38 posts, read 88,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwardGirl View Post
futurecitizen -- the Iowa City builders do a nice job. There aren't any fly-by-nights -- the builder's association is tight and they keep an eye out for anyone who might give them a black eye.

Oddly, while Iowa City is extremely green in many ways, I am not aware of any developments devoted to sustainability concepts. Okay, wait... I have a vague recollection of something along those lines and found this reprint of a Gazette article on the subject: absoluteDSM.com :: View topic - Iowa City/Coralville: Affordable, hip, green housing? Sounds like fun, huh?

Then there's this guy: Radish Magazine - Healthy living from the ground up

Best wishes on the move. I think you'll be happy in Iowa City pretty much wherever you live.
Thanks! These are great resources... and very inspiring to see innovative design and sustainable architecture alive and well in Iowa! I did come across a "New Urbanist" development called Peninsula Neighborhood, though many decry the New Urbanist's tactics...

Old 01-31-2008, 08:12 PM

209 posts, read 789,353 times
Maybe I was wrong, I have read quite a few times about Peosta being the fastest growing city in Iowa, but can't find a citation.

North Liberty IS the fastest growing city in Iowa.

Sorry Jasper Hobbs.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:18 PM

2,073 posts, read 3,682,330 times
Well I think you're both wrong, because I've heard Waukee. I thought North Liberty was 2006... Don't quote me on this! I'm going to try to find a list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City