Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:06 PM

681 posts, read 3,036,071 times

Advertisements

Always found The Mill to be a bit overrated myself. Nearly fell through a rickety booth the last time I was there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 09:36 AM

296 posts, read 1,283,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpHawkeye View Post
Always found The Mill to be a bit overrated myself. Nearly fell through a rickety booth the last time I was there...
Dang. I guess it has been a while. I used to love the Broasted chicken and the pizza.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:48 PM

216 posts, read 829,347 times
Here I am, in sunny Coralville.
I looked at 3 apartments today.
One was really appealing; it's in coralville in a very quiet area.
Beautifully redone apartments; but rent is higher than we wanted.

I have more to look at tomorrow; hopefully I'll find something. I'm going to cruise around and see what has a For Rent sign on it.

By the way - I grabbed lunch at The Pita Pit; very good place.

marilyn

Old 04-10-2008, 10:39 PM

114 posts, read 486,345 times
Try the University Apartments
here's their website
University Apartments - University Housing - The University of Iowa

Here is the housing clearinghouse website, give it a try Off-Campus Housing Service - Iowa Memorial Union: The University of Iowa

good luck

Old 04-11-2008, 04:23 PM

Thumbs up Mission accomplished!

I just returned home to NY about an hour ago.

I left a deposit on a 2-bedroom apartment in Coralville. It's totally redone, from the walls to the kitchen to the carpeting, appliances. The rental price includes water, heat, parking, trash. A Cambus stop is very close by, as are public buses.

I did drive around and found many FOR RENT signs in different areas. 90% of them wouldn't consider a tenant with pets. That eliminated most options.
My kid has 2 dogs, combined weight approx 20lbs.

I loved Iowa City! There's so much going on there, and the university is beautiful. I think she will be very happy there. Too bad she gave away all her winter clothes to her younger sister when she moved to AZ.

Because the weather was awful I ended up ordering delivery of food to my hotel. Had decent pizza and mediocre Chinese.

Thank you to all who gave me some great tips.

Marilyn

Old 04-11-2008, 05:19 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,416,603 times
Good job Marilyn!

Old 07-12-2009, 09:54 AM

OK folks. I'm the OP and it's now 15 months later. I stumbled back onto this board and thought maybe I should give an update - to anyone who is interested - on how life has been for my grad student daughter for the past year in Iowa.
Daughter moved into her apartment in Coralville a couple of weeks before the flooding began. She had to evacuate when the outside H2O was ankle deep. Thankfully her apartment was one flight up so none of her stuff was destroyed. She moved into a motel and after a few days they also had to evacuate everyone. She then went to another motel where she remained for weeks until the waters subsided. (FEMA reimbursed quickly!). A new residence was found across the road from the original; it's the same rental price as the first one but this one has 3 bedrooms. Lots of room for a single 20-something!
She's made many friends, is working 2 part-time jobs this summer, teaches undergrads in the english department, is a highly respected writer in the program, and has 2 more yrs to go. She seems quite content so I'm happy.
She has some chronic medical problems and we have found that the medical care in the area is excellent. Having the medical center there really is an asset. In Tucson, where she pursued another degree, it was hard because it's a medical wasteland there. That in itself is a long story for some other board.
Some MD friends of mine have commented that the medical center in Iowa City is 'world-class' and I believe it.
We love that the university has the CamBus, and also the Bionic Bus (for disabled).
I visited her for a week over Thanksgiving and loved the area. We had holiday dinner at the Iowa River Power Co. restaurant. I enjoyed it, it was quite good, and only 2 blocks from her residence.
Coming from NYC area I was delighted with the comparatively low price for dinner and the cocktails that were $5 as opposed to $15 or so in NYC. Apple martinis for $5???? Bring 'em on...
Had a meal at Pagliai's (sp?) and thought it was just as good as any good NYC area thin crust joint.

I'll be visiting her again soon; definitely before it gets cold!

Enjoy the summer!

Marilyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City