Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 04:32 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,772,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird4Prez View Post
Having lived in Iowa City from 1996-2001 I was at one time an expert on this thread. I have been back a few times since and feel like things have changed little since I left. The majority of the crime in Iowa City is related to drunk college students and an over-enthusiastic police force. Without the college, Iowa City would be just another quiet outpost along I-80. There is a lot of meth in Iowa, but from what I had seen, this only resulted in minor property crimes and retail thefts etc. I honestly did not lock my doors for a few years. If you plan on studying at the University of Iowa, crime needn't be a concern. Appropriately planning your time will be more important.
Thanks for the reply as I will be living in Iowa City this fall.
Contray to what you have posted, what I read on and off this forum ( other resources) locals state that the city has been taken over by Chicago natives who would spark crime there but instead locate to a more prone city as Iowa City. It has also been stated that Iowa City policies have only made itself prone to become crime hike.

So reading your response is much more comforting. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 06:25 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,609,630 times
Anyone who is worried about crime in Iowa City is embarrassingly sheltered and needs to grow a pair.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:08 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
Thanks for the reply as I will be living in Iowa City this fall.
Contray to what you have posted, what I read on and off this forum ( other resources) locals state that the city has been taken over by Chicago natives who would spark crime there but instead locate to a more prone city as Iowa City. It has also been stated that Iowa City policies have only made itself prone to become crime hike.

So reading your response is much more comforting. Thanks.
You've stated this before, and each time you do the locals contradict you to say you're overexaggerating or worrying way too much. Iowa City has in NO WAY been taken over by Chicago natives and is some dangerous war zone or something.

There are a few issues in areas of Iowa City that are fairly new issues, but it's still difficult to find a metro as clean and safe as Iowa City almost anywhere in the country.

Why are you so trying so hard to convince yourself that Iowa City has a huge crime problem and is a dangerous place to live?? It's like someone coming up and repeating over and over that Iowa has some of the worst public schools and traffic problems in the country. It's not only inaccurate, but practically opposite of the realities.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,515 times
hi ,

i'm from middle east ,i want to study at university of iowa at GRAD school . i had 3 children and a wife .
it seems a great city for me , am i right ?
please if there is any discrimination or recisim for arab people , Just inform me ?

my email is : [email]nsamkari@hotmail.com[/email]

Old 08-28-2011, 05:43 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsamkari View Post
hi ,

i'm from middle east ,i want to study at university of iowa at GRAD school . i had 3 children and a wife .
it seems a great city for me , am i right ?
please if there is any discrimination or recisim for arab people , Just inform me ?

my email is : nsamkari@hotmail.com
Iowa City pretty diverse for a smallish midwestern town. Very common to see arab people around and none of my non-caucasian friends (Persian, Jordanian, Indian, Chinese, and more) ever complained of discrimination or racism.

Not saying it can't happen, of course, but I don't think you'll find any wide-spread, systematic problems.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:20 AM

3 posts, read 7,055 times
You are so right about that when I came down here in 2000 It was so Nice and I came from Chicago was not born there but I live there.And as the years went It start getting bad and some people look at blacks the same but what I have explain to people all blacks is not the same. That was one of my rason of leaven Chicago to have a better life.But I truely can say that a lot of people from Chicago is making Iowa City to be bad. As well as the police there too They can't just point the figher at a black person and say they bad. And they are good with that.They are good in locking black people up even if they have not done nothing.And what so sad about it police lie too. But they seem to believe what they say.i have seen them put charges on people and get away with it. How is that helping too when they are doing just as bad as the people that really doing the crime.I have seen this happen so many times. Because I one of them and guess what we don't have no one here to protect us from Iowa city police. i don't care if u call the head man he's gonna believe his police officer first.So the best thing for you to do is not to say a word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City