Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,518 times

Advertisements

OK - first of all, Pella is not your regular run of the mill 10k population city. It has a unique character with its community Dutch heritage, but you don't have to be Dutch to participate and enjoy it. We moved to Pella over 30 years ago - we were told that it was a "closed" community, if you're not Dutch, you're not much, but none of that was true. People here are friendly and welcoming. If you are looking for a clean, relatively safe, and wholesome city with no "bars" on the town square, this is where you can find it. Also, we have two wonderful school systems - a National Blue Ribbon public school with some of the highest student achievement scores in the state and nation, and a private Christian school with an outstanding staff and quality education. Our city continues to grow, and the economy has slowed the growth of real estate values, but with DM only 35 miles away on a four lane highway, our community real estate values will climb, most certainly. Come to Pella - you will like it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 10:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,847 times
Well when I first moved I would've never even thought about Ankeny. I mean it's a weird name, haha. But I've lived here about 6 years now. And I've grown to love it! It's great here! The school system is fantastic. You have. Basically any food chain restaurant you can think of and Ankeny has it. Both menards and Home Depot literally right next door to each other. Movie theater, hyvee, Walmart, target. And if you live in ankeny all of this is in less than 10 min from my house. And they have a great sports complex with soccer fields, baseball, football, tennis. And plus new businesses are always popping up left and right. It is a great town. But with a booming town like you want it is a little pricy. Ankeny has a very specific building policy so that it never looks rundown or "ghetto" anywhere. And so in since it is so nice all around, property tax is pretty high. But still very great place.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:15 AM

603 posts, read 573,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebutters View Post
Well when I first moved I would've never even thought about Ankeny. I mean it's a weird name, haha. But I've lived here about 6 years now. And I've grown to love it! It's great here! The school system is fantastic. You have. Basically any food chain restaurant you can think of and Ankeny has it. Both menards and Home Depot literally right next door to each other. Movie theater, hyvee, Walmart, target. And if you live in ankeny all of this is in less than 10 min from my house. And they have a great sports complex with soccer fields, baseball, football, tennis. And plus new businesses are always popping up left and right. It is a great town. But with a booming town like you want it is a little pricy. Ankeny has a very specific building policy so that it never looks rundown or "ghetto" anywhere. And so in since it is so nice all around, property tax is pretty high. But still very great place.
Ankeny is a very different animal than Pella. It's one of the middle class to upper middle class suburbs of Des Moines. With regards to moving there, what I'd recommend is living in Prarie City or Monroe so you have a reasonable commute to Pella and still can find employment in and commute to Des Moines should the Vermeer job go south for whatever reason. Pella is a little bit like Leavenworth Washington in that it's a nice place to visit - very nice and tidy - but if you're not part of the Dutch inner circle leave your money and move on down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa