U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2010, 08:11 PM

3 posts, read 9,290 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in people's thoughts on Iowa Falls as a town to move my family of 5. Grew up in a small town and have spent most of my time post-college in larger Iowa cities. Would be a downgrade in pay, but I am attracted to the quality of life and enjoy the community of small town Iowa.

My spouse grew up in the town, but obviously things have changed in the 10 years since she moved away. I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts on the town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 08:45 PM

5,837 posts, read 6,947,659 times
Default Iowa Falls

I was born in Iowa Falls and lived there until I was ten years old. My grandparents still live there so I go back about every other year to visit. To me the town has become very depressing when I compare it to when we moved out of there in 1991. The average age of the town is probably about 65 because there are very few jobs to be had. The once unique downtown is a shadow of its former self. Most of the stores are closed or when they do open they don't last long. There is no shopping whatsoever except for a tired Wal-Mart that in 2005 still had carts that said "Discount City" on them. It is not even a Super Wal-Mart. The nearest shopping is Mason City, Ames, Fort Dodge, or Waterloo and they are all 40 miles or more away. This town seems more downtrodden each time I visit. It saddens me as it is where I spent much of my childhood and it is where my dad and his family are from. The college is the only thing keeping this town alive. This is also unfortunately the best town in Hardin County, the others are even more downtrodden.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:24 AM

426 posts, read 1,130,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I was born in Iowa Falls and lived there until I was ten years old. My grandparents still live there so I go back about every other year to visit. To me the town has become very depressing when I compare it to when we moved out of there in 1991. The average age of the town is probably about 65 because there are very few jobs to be had. The once unique downtown is a shadow of its former self. Most of the stores are closed or when they do open they don't last long. There is no shopping whatsoever except for a tired Wal-Mart that in 2005 still had carts that said "Discount City" on them. It is not even a Super Wal-Mart. The nearest shopping is Mason City, Ames, Fort Dodge, or Waterloo and they are all 40 miles or more away. This town seems more downtrodden each time I visit. It saddens me as it is where I spent much of my childhood and it is where my dad and his family are from. The college is the only thing keeping this town alive. This is also unfortunately the best town in Hardin County, the others are even more downtrodden.
Your description of Iowa Falls mrrors that of virtually all towns and cities in the midwest. Much has been writen about the demise of most towns as they can not provide jobs for those few who wish to live there. If you take away Des Moines, Iowa City/C.R., there are few other places that can provide a diversity of jobs to invite people to move there. And, not just Iowa, but Nebraska, Kansas, S.D., Wisconsin, etc. are having these problems. It's hard for medium and small towns, cities to get people to live in them. Heck, they can't even keep the folks who are born there.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:54 AM

3 posts, read 9,290 times
Thanks for the responses and I think you both hit on my major concern. Growing up in small town Iowa myself, I know the economic hardships in a lot of these communities today. For me, its a matter of trying to understand how hard towns like Iowa Falls were hit and how viable they will be going forward. I'm willing to sacrifice on the money and employment opportunities of the city to raise my kids in a community.

Your input on Iowa Falls is appreciated.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:34 PM

5,837 posts, read 6,947,659 times
Iowa Falls is probably still a decent place to raise kids, just make sure you can find a good job. The cost of living is cheap (compared to what I'm used to in Montana and Wyoming).

Old 07-07-2013, 04:10 PM

3 posts, read 4,944 times
I think some honest research is needed to see what a wholesome and interestingly historic small town Iowa Falls, IA is. The average age of the approx 6000 population is in the upper 40s ages, with average income close to $40K. Both the hospital and the community college provide much employment. It's a clean town with a beautiful river and golf course. It has nearly 20 dining places, 3 motels and even a B&B Inn. Doesn't that sound like a thriving little place? So much better life quality that the greed and crime ridden big cities where it's very difficult to know whom to trust. I was reared on a farm in IA about 50 miles from IA Falls. I visited IA Falls as a child and again a few years ago. We are making plans to move from Virginia to retire in IA Falls with a small home business if we find it is as attractive as it was in 2004.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:44 AM

2,964 posts, read 2,654,480 times
By the way, there was a small bit of discussion specifically on Iowa Falls on the "How do you like living in Iowa?" thread yesterday.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:17 PM

8,095 posts, read 14,017,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
By the way, there was a small bit of discussion specifically on Iowa Falls on the "How do you like living in Iowa?" thread yesterday.
I'm pretty sure MLWMoore knows this since he's the one that started it.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:17 PM

2,964 posts, read 2,654,480 times
Yeah, I figured that but didn't know if the others folks on this thread knew that to be the case. Depends on how many cups of coffee they had had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa