U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2006, 09:39 AM

2 posts, read 13,699 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are from Iowa to start. Moved to Texas,but the heat, huminity,and the bugs, are too much for us. We are about 50-60 west north west of Houston.
We live in a small town and love it. I have to jobs that let me know almost every one in town. So this is way we are looking for a small town in Iowa.
We are looking to move next Sept.2007. (the money thing)
Around theDes Monies/Ames/Ankeny area.
Huxley is our 1st chioce.
We have a mini zu dogs,cats,horses,pony, sheep, and chickens.
I know we will have to down size.
But we are looking for a place to rent in the country.
If any one has any ideas of who to talk to, please let me know.
We have a year so not too big a rush yet.
Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2006, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 6,848 times
Default Avoca,Iowa

Hello!

Avoca, Iowa is a smaller city about a 25 mile drive to Council Bluffs and about a 20 minute drive to Atlantic, Iowa. There are many smaller acreage plots availble for people that have live stock and pets, etc.

Other towns to look into:
Minden, Iowa
Walnut,Iowa
Neola, Iowa
Persia,Iowa

Maybe a google search for city information would also help you with moving.

Good Luck and have a safe journey!

Sincerely,

Leslie Parker Bryant

Old 08-15-2006, 02:57 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,467,130 times
Quote:
Moved to Texas,but the heat, huminity,and the bugs, are too much for us.
And you're moving to Iowa because....?

Honestly I lived there for 18 years and then got the hell out! It's dirty, humid, plently of bugs (especially if you live by farms...which you will), and rural...not exactly my idea of a place to live.

Old 08-17-2006, 02:56 PM

21 posts, read 165,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post

Honestly I lived there for 18 years and then got the hell out! It's dirty, humid, plently of bugs (especially if you live by farms...which you will), and rural...not exactly my idea of a place to live.
That may be your opinion, but I've lived here for most of my life... except 2 years in Texas (which sucked) and 2 years in Idaho (which I hope to go back to ASAP)

But Iowa is great! I live 20 min from Okoboji, and there's ALWAYS something to do.. the farms, well that's part of life. But I live on an Acerage 5 miles from a town of 85... couldnt ask for more! (except mountians of course!)

~GD

Old 08-28-2006, 09:16 PM

2 posts, read 13,699 times
Thanks for all your thoughts about Texas and Iowa.
We are having our 5th month of hot(90+0) the humity makes it very hard to breath. What I would not give for some snow.
As for the bugs. Have any of you ever been bitten by a fire ant? Did I say a fire ant? Try 10-30, because that is how fast they move. Fire is the right word for them. The sting last for quite a while.
Then there is the roaches. Big tree roaches. They come in for water and stay even if you spray. My cats hunt them.
I guess that this part of Texas is not for us.
Thanks for all your help in thinking of some small towns.

Old 09-06-2006, 04:56 PM

2,156 posts, read 10,219,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtminizu View Post
Thanks for all your thoughts about Texas and Iowa.
We are having our 5th month of hot(90+0) the humity makes it very hard to breath. What I would not give for some snow.
As for the bugs. Have any of you ever been bitten by a fire ant? Did I say a fire ant? Try 10-30, because that is how fast they move. Fire is the right word for them. The sting last for quite a while.
Then there is the roaches. Big tree roaches. They come in for water and stay even if you spray. My cats hunt them.
I guess that this part of Texas is not for us.
Thanks for all your help in thinking of some small towns.
yes I tied into some fire ants down at Fort McAllister just south of Savannah, Georgia and I learned how to dance and jump outdoors. no thanks about fire ants but they abound in Southern States.

I've seen the big roaches too down in Ga. and Florida. Keep my eyes peeled more for Gators and Nile Monitor lizards in the Sunshine State.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:08 PM

28,673 posts, read 40,846,639 times
If you want access to a metro area you might look west of West Des Moines. Aldel is not too far, but far enough. Waukee is fast becoming a suburb of WDM and Clive. Panora is out a ways, and has a lake. Puts you fairly close to the west side of the metro and the new large mall, hotels, shopping and restaurants galore. But you can still be out in the country the rest of the time.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:11 PM

28,673 posts, read 40,846,639 times
Forgot a story...

Friends moved to Dallas/Ft. Worth. We were in the kitchen working on breakfast when their 2 year old started laughing and giggling in the family room. We looked through the "window" between the two rooms and saw a scorpion on the floor. He was playing with it.

Turned out the seller didn't caulk around a pipe that went through the covered patio ceiling and they had built a nest in the attic!

I'll pass...

Old 09-08-2006, 10:32 AM

11,268 posts, read 22,823,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post

Why did you live here for 18 years? Especially since it must have been a rural area? That's probably your own mistake if you don't want to be smelling a farm. Well over half the states population lives in a metropolitan area - including Des Moines with over 500,000 people.

I grew up in Iowa City/Coralville and never once remember smelling a farm in the city. I've also found the states cities to be quite clean and nice compared to many places around the midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or