U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 10-18-2010, 09:00 PM

10 posts, read 117,831 times
Default Tax Assessor Time in Marion

Looks like Marion has outsourced a round of tax assessing starting November 1, 2010 for most if not the entire community. I have no intention of allowing the assessor into my dwelling because I have yet to hear of a reduced assessment. Given that the home was purchased 18 months ago and the assessment is already 16k over the bank appraisal, I see allowing them in our house as a loose loose situation. The only risk that I can imagine is an increase in property assessment which is most likely going to occur any way. Id like to hear your thoughts and experiences. Anyone deny an assessors entry? Legal considerations?

PS- back in NY the assessors don't even bother to ask for permission to enter anymore since everyone denies them anyway.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-21-2010, 12:10 PM

2,786 posts, read 3,358,774 times
Don't let them in unless it is to your advantage.

Look at your listing on the assessor website. If they are missing a whole bunch of stuff that you've recently upgraded, don't let them in. It's their ticket to write everything down and reevaluate your assessment. Now if your house was flooded and you have less sq footage than what is recorded for your house then by all means let them in to record that. It will be additional evidence when you appeal your reassesment next May.

In my case I have a finished basement that is not recorded. The assessor was upstairs to approve a permit and I denied him entry to the basement because they would have doubled the finished sq footage if they knew I had a finished basement.

Now is definitely not the time to have your taxes go up. Thanks to Chet Culver's inability to manage our state budget everybody is facing an 8% property tax increase this year.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: