U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 02:25 PM

4,115 posts, read 8,384,784 times

Advertisements

So, the other day I was telling a parent about how, when I worked in customer service at an international airport, that I would always look forward to dealing with Iowans. (Usually, this was indicated by something that said Hawkeyes.) I interacted with people from all over the world. I generally enjoyed my interactions with Londoners, Torontonians, Japanese, Minneapolitans, northern Wisconsinites, and even Southern Californians. I did not, on the other hand, generally enjoy dealing with people from France, San Francisco, the D.C. area, and, sadly, some Midwestern areas like Milwaukee, Indiana and Cincinnati (which I live near).

However, there was just something about Iowans that I liked. Maybe it was the fact that I felt like many of the Iowans I met, in a sort of way, exhibited Southern hospitality without the Southern. This was regardless of where in the state they were from: Des Moines, Dubuque, northern Iowa, etc. I almost always found you all to be very friendly, conversational and just happy to be alive and healthy. And there are but just a few places I travel to, live or meet people from otherwise where the people seem to exhibit that.

So, my question, pardon the bad grammar: Whatta ya'll got in the water up there? The people impressed me enough that I actually want to come visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 04:01 PM

1,744 posts, read 6,262,217 times
If you go to the terminal where there's a flight to Des Moines in any airport, you will find the least fashionable but most polite people. Usually people are talking to each other about their trips, showing pictures, etc. I've even seen people buy strangers coffee, food, etc. or let them use their phones. Any other terminal you just have people staring off and waiting in their own little world.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:35 PM

135 posts, read 313,586 times
True Story:

I was on a return trip from dropping a car off in Los Angeles in 1991 , the first part of my return flight was a jump from L.A. To Vegas.
That plane was packed wall to wall and I found myself sitting with a nice elderly couple , The female partner being a very talkative lady who ran me through an inquisition about my trip to Vegas.

When I informed her that I was simply going to Vegas to catch a flight back home she inquired where home was, when I told her Iowa she then went on to tell me that she and her husband had lived in Iowa for many years before moving to L.A. !

She told me about how they moved because the winters just got to be to much for them to handle, but that she did so miss the people of Iowa.
Then out of the blue she said she remembered the people who she knew there who were so nice, like the mailman who always took the time to stop and say hi or chat for a while or the man who deliverd her propane with his little boy.
She went on to tell how the propane man would always check their furnace for them and make sure it was ready for the winter use and never charge them.
And how their collie dog was always so excited when they would come by because the little boy would always play with him.

Upon hearing this I curiously asked her where she had lived, she said Plano Iowa, I laughed upon hearing that.
Then I told her, that mailmans name was Jasper , he was well known and liked in the area, that propane fella was my Pop , and the little boy who played with her collie, that was me.
Its a very small world when your from Iowa.

I have yet to go anywhere that upon telling I am from Iowa the people will brighten up and say everyone they meet from Iowa are always so nice.

Weve got em where we want em Peeps, lets keep up the good work !

Old 11-01-2010, 04:57 PM

113 posts, read 374,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercruiserdr View Post
True Story:

I was on a return trip from dropping a car off in Los Angeles in 1991 , the first part of my return flight was a jump from L.A. To Vegas.
That plane was packed wall to wall and I found myself sitting with a nice elderly couple , The female partner being a very talkative lady who ran me through an inquisition about my trip to Vegas.

When I informed her that I was simply going to Vegas to catch a flight back home she inquired where home was, when I told her Iowa she then went on to tell me that she and her husband had lived in Iowa for many years before moving to L.A. !

She told me about how they moved because the winters just got to be to much for them to handle, but that she did so miss the people of Iowa.
Then out of the blue she said she remembered the people who she knew there who were so nice, like the mailman who always took the time to stop and say hi or chat for a while or the man who deliverd her propane with his little boy.
She went on to tell how the propane man would always check their furnace for them and make sure it was ready for the winter use and never charge them.
And how their collie dog was always so excited when they would come by because the little boy would always play with him.

Upon hearing this I curiously asked her where she had lived, she said Plano Iowa, I laughed upon hearing that.
Then I told her, that mailmans name was Jasper , he was well known and liked in the area, that propane fella was my Pop , and the little boy who played with her collie, that was me.
Its a very small world when your from Iowa.

I have yet to go anywhere that upon telling I am from Iowa the people will brighten up and say everyone they meet from Iowa are always so nice.
Weve got em where we want em Peeps, lets keep up the good work !
Very cool story! It definitely is a small world.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:21 AM

1,937 posts, read 5,943,150 times
I didn't live in IA for too long but its amazing how many people can relate to Storm Lake, Cushing, Alta, and Cherokee- all places I have lived. I still have friends up there too. Such a wonderful state.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:13 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,740,423 times
When I was going to Simpson College my folks came out to visit from California. There were very impressed as we walked around Indianola's town square at all the people their age nodding, smiling and saying "hi" to them - even though they were complete strangers in that town.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:52 PM

2,796 posts, read 5,128,267 times
OH gag me with a popsicle stick. I can't believe this is actually a thread.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:03 PM

113 posts, read 374,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
OH gag me with a popsicle stick. I can't believe this is actually a thread.
See? Not everyone in Iowa is friendly.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:58 PM

4,110 posts, read 6,940,760 times
Iowans are "friendly" in that they if you look at a guy for longer than one second, they don't take it as a trying to pick a fight and if you look at a girl for longer than a second, she isn't contemplating dialing 911 or pulling out the pepper spray. Iowa is what the suburbs of big cities were supposed to be..

Last edited by urza216; 11-03-2010 at 05:08 PM..

Old 11-04-2010, 10:53 AM

408 posts, read 623,389 times
I've lived in IA my whole life, the majority of it in a small town of 11,000 people...people in smaller towns seem to come off as more friendly IMO, I moved to Cedar Rapids 2 years ago and noticed how people here are NOT as friendly as they are in my hometown. (possibly because everyone knows everyone). In the bigger cities such as Des Moines/Cedar Rapids you're just another number, which isn't necessarily a bad thing either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa