U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 10:24 AM

2,572 posts, read 6,265,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle Class View Post
I found there's a bar called King and Queens tap downtown. That would be a good sign that it is not tucked away in some corner. Waterloo/Cedar Falls is not as large as San Antonio, of course, but I think you will find similar people. Conservative, but not hostile. Each town has several natural food stores but I am not sure how large they are. That is always a good sign to me. I think the thing in most of Iowa is if you are not in people's face they do not really care what you are doing. We kind of want people to be just like us but if they're not we don't really want to talk about it. My friend from New Orleans is the whitest prettiest girl you could ever meet and she thinks it's hard to make friends here...so that should tell you a lot. People here are very family centered and even in metro areas they are self involved because they are very busy. Also there is a great waterpark in waterloo we are planning on going again this summer.

Thanks for the information. The water park is city-run, right? I always thought it was so awesome how other places have these sorts of city run water parks and I always thought it was kind of absurd how we don't have that here, where we have such miserably hot and long summers! We are always under water restrictions though.

My fiance and I are not very social. I mean, we are nice enough people but we tend to hang out at home, study, watch movies, and do things with our kids. We are past the party phase and we have a few select friends here in SA that we will get together with very occasionally for dinner or something. So while getting along and getting to know people is nice, it's not vital. We are very busy with kids, school, work, the house, and don't have time to pursue friendships that aren't already established.

When we moved in to our neighborhood, some of the older residents thought the world was ending. Now, we are very much accepted and we are the favorite of one elderly neighbor in particular who was really upset when we first moved in. We help her out and she shares homemade tortillas and tamales with us and hugs and kisses us every time we see her.

The kids are another story; we just don't want them to be made fun of or picked on for having 2 moms or any of that. Since that hasn't happened much here in San Antonio, we think it will be fine. Our kids are more outgoing / sociable / extroverted and we want them to be able to form friendships after the move.

Texas has this reputation for hospitality and friendliness and I have found that to be true mostly on a superficial level only. People are all about the howdy, how ya doing pleasantries, but in general not interested in taking it further and developing real friendships unless they've known you for their entire lives. Not all of course, but just my observations from having grown up here. And, despite being such a large city, most people I encounter have been born and raised here (or Mexico) and haven't been many places so my mom always called San Antonio "the biggest small town I've ever lived in".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 03:28 PM

22 posts, read 94,413 times
thank you guys for all the info we will be moving to davenport soon and hope we will like it. anythings better then here. just hope we can get a job u know.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:58 PM

656 posts, read 901,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabride View Post
My fiance and I are not very social. I mean, we are nice enough people but we tend to hang out at home, study, watch movies, and do things with our kids. We are past the party phase and we have a few select friends here in SA that we will get together with very occasionally for dinner or something. So while getting along and getting to know people is nice, it's not vital. We are very busy with kids, school, work, the house, and don't have time to pursue friendships that aren't already established.

If this is truly the case, then gay friendliness is actually not something that you need to be all that concerned about. Of course the cities will be more accepting than the small towns, but really Iowans tend to live and let live. Mostly concern yourself with finding a place where you and your fiancee could both see yourselves living happily, like anybody else. As long as you're not all in-your-face about your sexuality (e.g. intense, challenging hair and "MILITANT DYKE BENT ON DESTROYING PATRIARCHY" t-shirts), most people will glance, shrug, and get on with their day. Honestly coming from San Antonio, you probably need to be more concerned with finding good Mexican food

I would also say the same applies to garmanl, but it looks like you've already made your choice.

A caveat: the above applies east of the I-35 corridor. Out west, things are... different.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:16 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,265,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavemaster View Post
If this is truly the case, then gay friendliness is actually not something that you need to be all that concerned about. Of course the cities will be more accepting than the small towns, but really Iowans tend to live and let live. Mostly concern yourself with finding a place where you and your fiancee could both see yourselves living happily, like anybody else. As long as you're not all in-your-face about your sexuality (e.g. intense, challenging hair and "MILITANT DYKE BENT ON DESTROYING PATRIARCHY" t-shirts), most people will glance, shrug, and get on with their day. Honestly coming from San Antonio, you probably need to be more concerned with finding good Mexican food

I would also say the same applies to garmanl, but it looks like you've already made your choice.

A caveat: the above applies east of the I-35 corridor. Out west, things are... different.
I know huh?! I am already worried about that! I can make a lot of Tex-Mex myself, pretty decent for a gringa, thanks to my Dad (who only had one Caucasian wife, ever, and that was my mom, and learned to cook from the others!)... but there are certain food-things I'm sure I will miss!!

Thanks for the input. Like I said, as long as no one messes with our kids just because of who their parents are, we're good.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:06 PM

22 posts, read 94,413 times
well we have made are choice in a way we dont know what one to do... Des Moines or davenport. i like them both but in what jobs are hiring davenport seems to have more jobs. but i like Des Moines cuz of all the gays there

Old 02-18-2011, 12:14 PM

11,015 posts, read 21,576,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabride View Post
I know huh?! I am already worried about that! I can make a lot of Tex-Mex myself, pretty decent for a gringa, thanks to my Dad (who only had one Caucasian wife, ever, and that was my mom, and learned to cook from the others!)... but there are certain food-things I'm sure I will miss!!

Thanks for the input. Like I said, as long as no one messes with our kids just because of who their parents are, we're good.
Well I think that's changing fairly quickly as far as never being able to find ethnic foods. Hopefully at least!

Iowa's hispanic population:

1990: 32,647
2000: 82,473
2010: 151,544

Black Population:

1990: 48,090
2000: 61,853
2010: 89,148

Asian Popultion:

1990: 25,476
2000: 36,635
2010: 53,094

Total of the 3:

1990: 106,213
2000: 180,961
2010: 293,786

Old 10-24-2011, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,001 times
Default Questions about Cedar Falls IA

My partner and I are thinking of moving to Cedar Falls- we met there in the early 70s- have been together 35 years- have aging parents near there and some good friends. How gay friendly is Cedar Falls? And how do I find a gay friendly doctor? Thanks.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:34 PM

116 posts, read 320,534 times
if you plan to move to cedar rapids I do not think it is gay friendly. No way. I went to a 4 year university in chicago downtown and had few "friends" from cedar rapids. One of them rubbed in my face, that he was pissed off when Iowa passed same-sex marriage legal. After hanging out in his dorm room with him and his friends for half year, when I came out, they stopped talking to me. Go figure. Even in Chicago area, most folks from suburbs do not seem to be too much accepting of gays, especially gay foreigners, even if they are tolerant but thats not the same. The exception are some folks who are from the city itself.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:34 PM

8,676 posts, read 8,861,218 times
This thread started in January...I wonder how the OP is doing? Where did she choose to live?

I hope it wasn't Keokuk!

Old 11-06-2011, 02:43 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,544,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by il_blguy87 View Post
if you plan to move to cedar rapids I do not think it is gay friendly. No way. I went to a 4 year university in chicago downtown and had few "friends" from cedar rapids. One of them rubbed in my face, that he was pissed off when Iowa passed same-sex marriage legal. After hanging out in his dorm room with him and his friends for half year, when I came out, they stopped talking to me. Go figure. Even in Chicago area, most folks from suburbs do not seem to be too much accepting of gays, especially gay foreigners, even if they are tolerant but thats not the same. The exception are some folks who are from the city itself.
#1 Iowa did NOT "pass" same-sex marriage. Instead, the state legislature passed and signed into law a protection of marriage act. It was the State's Supreme Court that overruled that law and thus issued in same sex marriage into Iowa.

#2 just because you are not for same-sex marriage, does not mean you aren't gay friendly....unless of course, you're saying this is a one issue movement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa