U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-06-2013, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Jonesboro
3,336 posts, read 3,369,254 times
Reputation: 3817

Advertisements

jmgg
You hit a home run there, at least it was one in my book!
As a child, we stayed at resorts on West Okoboji, East Okoboji & Spirit Lake & had a heck of a great time enjoying the lake life.
Then, if we wanted a change of pace, we headed into downtown Spirit Lake for shopping or on down to Spencer if we wanted a taste of the regional "big town".
It's all a matter of seeing things through a child's eyes I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-06-2013, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Stephenville, Texas
976 posts, read 1,492,362 times
Reputation: 1945
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Negatives.... You'd be in a small town in the middle of nowhere. Unless you want that...

Family that live outside Iowa will be vastly less likely to visit.

Hmmm, sounds more like a positive to me...especially the last line!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2013, 04:38 PM
 
21 posts, read 31,218 times
Reputation: 18
Default This is the op

It is not a grudge just the other side of the "Good Neighbor" project. Spencer's main attribute is that it is one of the easiest communities to raise your child in, other than that to each his own. You are not going to make money here unless you have old money and are established through generations of Spencerites. Just like many other communities of this size it has it's ups and downs, but it's not always "Peaches and Cream" like those diehard Spencer fans would like you to think.

The facts are there are many homes for sale people are leaving every year and the graduates have to leave because there are no opportunities.

As for the lakes area just north of Spencer, you can only be entertained by Okoboji and Spirit Lake so much. Unless you are a drunk you cruise the lakes and your done. The only people I see spending endless hours there are alcoholics. I could never understand why people would spend the kind of money they do for lakeshore property there. I mean if you got that kind of money go where there is life man

And if you think Spencer's taxes are high try the lakes area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2013, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Jonesboro
3,336 posts, read 3,369,254 times
Reputation: 3817
I've never had to engage in alcohol consumption to enjoy a lake or any other natural setting in the midst of water or woods.
So I don't know why there is an assumption here that that is all there is to life by a lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 06:20 PM
 
21 posts, read 31,218 times
Reputation: 18
Default What world do you live in?

Why is when someone has an opinion that is somewhat negative but true do people have to say "Oh someone has a Grudge"? It's not a "Grudge" it's the other side of the coin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 06:52 PM
 
21 posts, read 31,218 times
Reputation: 18
Default Spencer accepting of outsiders?

Which part of the community are you referring to when you say The Spencer Community is reasonably accepting of outsiders? Surely you are not including a Police Department with a Chief of Police that is a liar and a corrupt (POS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingrightalong... View Post
...anyone? Fairly easy to get to know people? Friendly? Reasonably accepting of outsiders?

Any negatives anyone can think of off the top of their head?

Which SE Iowa community is Spencer most like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 07:41 PM
 
387 posts, read 525,467 times
Reputation: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by corruptthug View Post
The facts are there are many homes for sale people are leaving every year and the graduates have to leave because there are no opportunities.
Spencer is hardly unique in that category. Most every town in Iowa under 25,000 people (that isn't a suburb) has seen their young flee to the two hot spots (Des Moines and IC-CR) after high school graduation. Most kids don't want to live in a really small town. The ones that do are usually FFA-types who feel obligated to keep the family farm going another generation.

I wouldn't want to be a real estate agent in small-town Iowa. Within the next 20 years, you won't be able to make a single commission in that field. Nobody wants to move to a town where the median age keeps ticking past 40 years, and the school district's footprint keeps getting larger due to repeated forced consolidations.

Rural Iowa is in sad shape. I don't see that trend reversing itself either. So, Spencer needn't feel alone in its despair. The Des Moines-shaped parasite that keeps sucking the life out of rural Iowa is only getting bigger and more powerful. Resistance is futile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Sioux Falls, SD area
3,351 posts, read 4,818,730 times
Reputation: 5708
Let me get this straight, responders with the handle corruptthug and funksoulbro don't like small town Spencer. My guess is you don't want to live by any smaller town in Iowa since you're "big city" people. I've never graded a community by the size of their tallest building, but if that's your criteria, so be it.

I've been to Spencer multiple times and I think it's a very nice, stable community. Your response as to the police department may be right on as I have never had any connection to them AND sometimes local little police forces (A big example being the Dickinson County Sheriffs Dept. around the Iowa Great Lakes) can often be very unfair and yes, even corrupt.

Based on the communities that I've visited over the years in my business travels, I believe Spencer is one of the nicest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 09:57 PM
 
387 posts, read 525,467 times
Reputation: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Let me get this straight, responders with the handle corruptthug and funksoulbro don't like small town Spencer. My guess is you don't want to live by any smaller town in Iowa since you're "big city" people. I've never graded a community by the size of their tallest building, but if that's your criteria, so be it.
LOL. You sooooo have me pegged wrong. The Des Moines folks think tall buildings are the way you judge a city, but not me.

In fact, I live in a town that has exactly zero office buildings over six stories. Skylines, lifestyle centers, and "wannabe" big cities aren't my thing. Give me a place with some scenic bike trails and the modest trappings of civilization, and I'm happy. Truth be told, I prefer a smaller-town mindset as long as people aren't constantly up in your personal business. I've found that elusive balance of modest civilization and John Cougar Mellencamp "Small Town" charm where I live.

If I want to see tall buildings, big traffic jams, or an IKEA store...I'll head over to Chicago. I actually lived there in the 1990s (when the Bulls were winning every NBA championship in sight) and decided big city life is more about hype than it is about substance.

Spencer is a lovely town. I've been there before. Unfortunately, kids think skyscrapers and Apple Stores will bring them happiness...so they move to Des Moines. That's just the reality of Iowa, and Spencer isn't the only pleasant little town paying a steep price for the restless dreams of youth. Fort Dodge, Ottumwa, Mason City, and Carroll have all found that the Principal Building's blinding glow is all too seductive for their recent high school graduates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 10:23 PM
 
Location: Sioux Falls, SD area
3,351 posts, read 4,818,730 times
Reputation: 5708
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
LOL. You sooooo have me pegged wrong. The Des Moines folks think tall buildings are the way you judge a city, but not me.

In fact, I live in a town that has exactly zero office buildings over six stories. Skylines, lifestyle centers, and "wannabe" big cities aren't my thing. Give me a place with some scenic bike trails and the modest trappings of civilization, and I'm happy. Truth be told, I prefer a smaller-town mindset as long as people aren't constantly up in your personal business. I've found that elusive balance of modest civilization and John Cougar Mellencamp "Small Town" charm where I live.

If I want to see tall buildings, big traffic jams, or an IKEA store...I'll head over to Chicago. I actually lived there in the 1990s (when the Bulls were winning every NBA championship in sight) and decided big city life is more about hype than it is about substance.

Spencer is a lovely town. I've been there before. Unfortunately, kids think skyscrapers and Apple Stores will bring them happiness...so they move to Des Moines. That's just the reality of Iowa, and Spencer isn't the only pleasant little town paying a steep price for the restless dreams of youth. Fort Dodge, Ottumwa, Mason City, and Carroll have all found that the Principal Building's blinding glow is all too seductive for their recent high school graduates.
Sorry, I pegged your posts wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top