U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 11:43 PM

53 posts, read 182,247 times

Advertisements

Well when I was a kid and we briefly lived in CR I went to the brand new just been built Van Buren grade school which is now about 40 years old! ANYWAY walking to school every morning in February it was kind of comforting to smell oatmeal in the air! But that's just ME! Can't wait to get back to CR in a few weeks. My a/c will be cranking here to cool off the pets in 90+ degree heat while I pack up some sweaters for the trip. Won't need them again in AZ until after Thanksgiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,394 times
I am a lifelong Cedar Rapidian and had a question for anyone up on standard of living information. My wife and I have two daughters and we have a combine gross annual income of $69,000 a year. Where does that stand with most families of four? From what I've read that's on the lower end. Anyone a little smarter than myself to assess this?

Old 04-13-2011, 09:58 AM

118 posts, read 162,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar Rapidian2011 View Post
I am a lifelong Cedar Rapidian and had a question for anyone up on standard of living information. My wife and I have two daughters and we have a combine gross annual income of $69,000 a year. Where does that stand with most families of four? From what I've read that's on the lower end. Anyone a little smarter than myself to assess this?
Statistically, you're $870 less than the median family income for CR. If you happen to be 34.7 years old and have a home valued at $119K, you could be the official Mr. Median of CR.

Where you stand among your friends, coworkers, fellow parents of school-age kids, etc. is another story. You can look at others' cars, homes and clothes and think, "They're obviously better off than I am." Who knows what their actual financial situation is?

In the end, you may not be flying your family to Disney multiple times each year, but you also aren't anywhere close to qualifying for food stamps.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:41 AM

9 posts, read 16,503 times
North Liberty is worth a look because there is so much available for rent. There's a real range of places available. They are kind of suburbia cookie cutter but it's a nice town, and about 20 min from your work area. My husband works in SW CR and we live in North Liberty. Iowa City is great but it's a long commute and much more expensive for rentals.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:37 AM

8 posts, read 6,752 times
My husband and I, with three teenage kids, will be relocating to Iowa in a few months. Our son and daughter in law with new grandson, live in the ne section of CR. The plan is for us to move there and be close enough that I can babysit my new grandson while the rest go to work and school. I really love the homes on Bever Ave and Grande Ave. All the craftsmanship and four squares and even Tudors. The problem is my husband thinks the area may not be safe. We also have to live in a good school district, which looks to either be NE where my son lives or Bowman woods are. However Bowman Woods have all of those ugly split entry level homes, which I hate. Please tell me what y'all think of the area around Grande and Bever ? Also are there any small towns outside of CR , within a 30 minute drive, that would be a good place to live? My husband is a 20 year master auto mechanic and never has a problem finding a job. So, we are basically looking for the house, and area first.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:15 PM

190 posts, read 143,606 times
Bever and Grand Ave has both the best and the among the worst of CR, crimewise. The division breaks sharply at 19th street of being among the best at higher numbers, and diminishing below there. The area is in flux, many are buying in and fixing up the area. But there are a couple of groups that feud and shootings occur at specific neighborhoods. According to news interviews, a couple of families and a core of 15 -20 individuals are involved. This may help.

https://www.crimereports.com/agency/cedarrapids

Old 03-07-2016, 08:07 PM

529 posts, read 390,602 times
I would stay at least 2 miles away from Wellington Heights... including Bever and Grande. Just because the houses and people are nice on those streets doesn't mean they are on the next street. Bad area. Streets are horrible down there too.

Have you thought about north Marion? There are some new developments going in that area that are real nice and you would be in the Linn Mar school district which is one of the best in the state. Plus your kids would have other kids to hang out with that would not be bad influences like those down in Wellington Heights (not to imply all of them are, just playing percentages).

There are also some nice areas in north CR west of Bowman woods that are nice.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:37 AM

49 posts, read 35,491 times
Anything in CR with Bever in the name is ghetto.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:38 PM

3,169 posts, read 3,037,088 times
Bever Park is not a ghetto..not by ANY stretch of the imagination.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:50 AM

49 posts, read 35,491 times
Is that the zoo that has like 4 animals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or