U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 08:35 PM

2 posts, read 8,278 times

Advertisements

Hi! I just got a job at a small company in SW Cedar Rapids. I need to be there by the end of February and am looking for suggestions on where I can find an apartment (maybe 2 bedrooms, around $600/month). I was hoping to get a place near work (which is close to the Westdale Mall) but I've read other posts that advise staying away from the south side of town-is that justified/does anyone have experience with these areas? I will be alone for the first few months and would like to know if there are areas of town that I should avoid. Thank you!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 08:44 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,996,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyghost View Post
Hi! I just got a job at a small company in SW Cedar Rapids. I need to be there by the end of February and am looking for suggestions on where I can find an apartment (maybe 2 bedrooms, around $600/month). I was hoping to get a place near work (which is close to the Westdale Mall) but I've read other posts that advise staying away from the south side of town-is that justified/does anyone have experience with these areas? I will be alone for the first few months and would like to know if there are areas of town that I should avoid. Thank you!!
I don't know the neighborhoods of Cedar Rapids, but I wonder if the advice to stay away from the south side was because of the General Mills plant and the smell that comes from it? Don't know for sure, just a thought.

Hopefully there will be some Cedar Rapids people here that can give more (I live in Iowa City, so just drive through CR on occasion).

Old 01-20-2011, 09:10 PM

2 posts, read 8,278 times
Thanks for the quick response. I don't plan on living in Cedar Rapids long as I think Iowa City is definitely more my speed and I plan on ending up there. If it's just a smell I can live with that for a little while

Old 01-21-2011, 09:15 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,996,052 times
Quote:
Thanks for the quick response. I don't plan on living in Cedar Rapids long as I think Iowa City is definitely more my speed and I plan on ending up there. If it's just a smell I can live with that for a little while
Just to be clear, I don't know the south side of CR, so it could be something else besides the smell, as well. Just one thing that popped to mind.

Post again when you start looking at Iowa City...I can probably offer more useful advice then!

Old 01-23-2011, 11:27 AM

28 posts, read 103,939 times
Quote:
I would try North Liberty or Coralville. If you're in NL and working near Westdale, it's about a 20 minute commute, even during rush hour. Going all the way to Iowa City will add another 15-20 minutes each way.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:57 PM

19 posts, read 40,803 times
Cedar rapids has the nickname of "city of 5 seasons" while the locals change the nickname to "city of 5 smells". lol
Not sure if they have all 5 smells anymore but it is an industrial town and you can actually sometimes tell which kind of cereal is being made (after living there a while). Don't get me wrong I lived there and never felt sick from it or even bothered but sensitive people might not like it and it is certainly nothing like country air or mountain air.

The "stay away from South side" notion is a myth that has been around for decades and stems form a very bad area (better now but still bad) on the close in South East side. It is South of 1st ave and extends from downtown to 19th street. After 19th street it is high dollar homes before changing to middle class around 27th? The West side is bad on North and South sides of 1st ave up until about 18th street.

Because of the "Southeast myth" (some people rant about it and have NEVER even been on that side let alone lived there) the housing and apartments typically are cheaper there simply because people reading paper see "SE" and refuse to check out the apt or house despite millionaires living on that side.

North Liberty is nice and closer to lake but I always saw the housing there as either trashy or expensive and not much in between. It does tend to have a very ummm, didn't "gradiate frum skool, luv munster truks & wrastlin" feel to certain parts while the high dollar parts are sweet and sophisticated.

As Iowa City is a college town it is higher housing cost. Often shockingly higher when looking at Cedar Rapids as comparison, but it is a nice place and the college ads a certain "fun" flavor to the town. I never lived there but spent a lot of time all over it and it is really spotty from one part to another or the type of housing, feel, and etc.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:43 PM

53 posts, read 182,170 times
I've wondered how really BAD the south side was. I've looked a thousand homes in Linn county and the ones I like the best and have that Craftsman style seem to be there and at a reasonable price. Is it all blood and guts and graffiti or is it just a little less prosperous than the rest of the city?? I mean are we talking crack and daily shootings (which seems to be the norm not the exception in Phx) or what?? My aunt and uncle lived there for many years and they were FAR from the poverty line.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:49 PM

53 posts, read 182,170 times
Will be there in April to start the house hunting in earnest! Can't wait!!!

Old 04-02-2011, 02:38 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,030,768 times
Ive been told wellington heights is the area to stay away from. Its not a "blood and gutts, grafitti everywhere" part of town, it seems more bored youngsters who get into trouble and act tough and wannabe big city gang like...youll have your shootings, drugs, etc, but it falls short of what happens elsewhere. I wouldnt buy a house there (shame, because some are very nice and very cheap), but ...well i dont go there much anyway.

We live on the sw part of town about a mile from westdale mall, the area is very quiet at night and were surrounded by young families and the elderly. I havent smelled the factories from here yet either. Weve been here about a month, curious how things change once it warms up more..so far, so good though!

Old 04-02-2011, 10:57 PM

5 posts, read 15,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleAZ View Post
I've wondered how really BAD the south side was. I've looked a thousand homes in Linn county and the ones I like the best and have that Craftsman style seem to be there and at a reasonable price. Is it all blood and guts and graffiti or is it just a little less prosperous than the rest of the city?? I mean are we talking crack and daily shootings (which seems to be the norm not the exception in Phx) or what?? My aunt and uncle lived there for many years and they were FAR from the poverty line.
Contrary to popular belief, I think the SE quadrant is the MOST desirable part of the city. I have lived in southeast CR (Bever Park neighborhood) for years, and it's as safe as any other part of town. I see people out jogging or walking dogs at all hours of the day. The Wellington Heights area does have a disproportionate share of crime and is best avoided, especially at night, but that's only a very small part of the quadrant. There are some very fine houses near Bever Park. It's definitely the most architecturally diverse area of town. Consider also the area near the Cedar Rapids Country Club, although the houses there tend to be relatively expensive. By the way, the "five smells" from the food processing plants are barely noticeable outside of the industrial areas, and they're not entirely unpleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or