Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 08:21 PM

105 posts, read 331,320 times

Advertisements

So my boyfriend and I are planning a daycation this Saturday from Des Moines. We were planning on driving to Mount Pleasant and taking a look around, then stop in Fairfield and check out the town and all the floaters I keep reading about lol. On the way back to Des Moines from Fairfield thought of stopping in Sigourney and last stop town Oskaloosa.

Is it feasible to do all this in one day if we start out early on the road about 10 am? I know most of these towns are small so I'm sure it wouldn't take long but not sure if I need more time in Fairfield. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 10:02 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
First off, I'm assuming you're planning to take I-80 to 218/27 to get to Mount Pleasant. If so you're looking at a 3 hour drive. This would put you in Mount Pleasant in time for a late lunch. Now that the Iris is closed I can't give you a dining recommendation but I'm sure there are some good local restaurants. The Old Threshers museum in Mount Pleasant is cool, beyond that it's just a nice, clean smaller town.

Fairfield is about a half hour west on 34. Be sure to cruise the Maharishi University of Management on Highway 1 on the north side of town and check out the Golden Dome, this is where most of the "floating" takes place. Just a few miles out of town to the north is Maharishi Vedic City, it's worth a drive-by if you have time. I'd also recommend the Abundance Ecovillage. And be sure to park on the square and visit some of the businesses. Most of the artsy/folksy shops are run by Maharishi followers. If you really want to hit Sigourney, I'd go in the order of the town square, MUM campus, Ecovillage, and Vedic City in that order.

Was there some specific reason you wanted to include Sigourney on your trip? It's a nice little town, but there's really not much to see there. If you're wanting to spend some time in Osky you'd get there quicker taking 34 west out of Fairfield to 63 at Ottumwa. But if you're mainly just wanting to cruise the two-lane roads and check out the countryside that's understandable.

If you don't spend much time in each town you can get it done in a day, I'd leave a little earlier if possible, though.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:18 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Des Moines to Mt Pleasant is NOT a 3 hour drive. Burlington is about 2.5 hours and is just a half hour farther than Mt. P. I recommend taking 63 to 163 via Ottumwa route. This will lead you directly to HWY 34 which will take you through both Fairfield and Mt Pleasant.

What are you wanting to do?

Honestly I would be interested to see what you are planning to do in either place. There's not much. Fairfield has a good Indian restaurant right on the main street called India Cafe.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Des Moines to Mt Pleasant is NOT a 3 hour drive.
If you take 80 to 27/218 it is, which I am assuming the OP plans to do since Mount Pleasant is the first stop on the itinerary. Actually a little less in drive time, but I'm figuring on a potty/refreshment stop along the way.

Personally I'd leave town on 163/63, stop at the Jersey Freeze for a shake, make Osky my first official stop, then take 92 to Sigourney (still not feeling the love for that stop, though) and meander south on 149, east on 78, then south on 1 to Fairfield, then once everything to see has been seen head east on 34 to Mount Pleasant. After taking in the Iris City either head home on 34-63-163 or 27/218-80, depending on whether or not it's worth the extra 45 minutes or so drive time to see different country on the way back.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
First off, I'm assuming you're planning to take I-80 to 218/27 to get to Mount Pleasant. If so you're looking at a 3 hour drive. This would put you in Mount Pleasant in time for a late lunch. Now that the Iris is closed I can't give you a dining recommendation but I'm sure there are some good local restaurants. The Old Threshers museum in Mount Pleasant is cool, beyond that it's just a nice, clean smaller town.

Fairfield is about a half hour west on 34. Be sure to cruise the Maharishi University of Management on Highway 1 on the north side of town and check out the Golden Dome, this is where most of the "floating" takes place. Just a few miles out of town to the north is Maharishi Vedic City, it's worth a drive-by if you have time. I'd also recommend the Abundance Ecovillage. And be sure to park on the square and visit some of the businesses. Most of the artsy/folksy shops are run by Maharishi followers. If you really want to hit Sigourney, I'd go in the order of the town square, MUM campus, Ecovillage, and Vedic City in that order.

Was there some specific reason you wanted to include Sigourney on your trip? It's a nice little town, but there's really not much to see there. If you're wanting to spend some time in Osky you'd get there quicker taking 34 west out of Fairfield to 63 at Ottumwa. But if you're mainly just wanting to cruise the two-lane roads and check out the countryside that's understandable.

If you don't spend much time in each town you can get it done in a day, I'd leave a little earlier if possible, though.
I've always been fond of small town charm and I've been reading up a lot on the small towns in Iowa and someone mentioned Sigourney on one of the posts; can't remember which one but just thought I would check it out cuz it doesn't seem that far out of the way from where we want to visit Fairfield. I did see the mention of a lot of handicap people in Sigourney or Keokuk; weird right. Which I don't see how that has relevance cuz I'm not racist against them. Oh and someone also mentioned the Sigourney town square looking cute if my recollection is correct and I love quaint town squares. I know Sigourney is no Mcgregor or Guttengerg which are our plans for the next daycation.

You gave some very informative suggestions. Thanks....I'm looking very forward to my little trip. Hopefully the weather will be accommodating.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:03 PM

Sigourney does have a nice square, I sometimes forget that because generally when I go there I'm just passing through so I don't see it. Fairfield and Mount Pleasant have nice squares as well, but they're considerably bigger towns so it's not the same.

Have fun on your trip!

Old 08-06-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Des Moines to Mt Pleasant is NOT a 3 hour drive. Burlington is about 2.5 hours and is just a half hour farther than Mt. P. I recommend taking 63 to 163 via Ottumwa route. This will lead you directly to HWY 34 which will take you through both Fairfield and Mt Pleasant.

What are you wanting to do?

Honestly I would be interested to see what you are planning to do in either place. There's not much. Fairfield has a good Indian restaurant right on the main street called India Cafe.
We aren't planning on finding things to do in those towns e.g. museum, zoo, river rafting or anything exciting like that. Just want to get out of Des Moines and explore some sleepy quaint towns or medium town with a small town charm. Our version of exploring; driving around neighborhoods, visit some local shops on the main street, if there's a cafe get a cup of coffee. Ya know just small stuff like that.

I've heard of Fairfield for a while and always wanted to go. So far I've read a lot of positive and negative but I want to see for myself. I've heard of all the diverse restaurants there and we're foodies. I love East Indian food so I'm definitely looking forward to checking India Cafe. Thanks for the recommendation.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Sigourney does have a nice square, I sometimes forget that because generally when I go there I'm just passing through so I don't see it. Fairfield and Mount Pleasant have nice squares as well, but they're considerably bigger towns so it's not the same.

Have fun on your trip!
Thank you. I know I'll have fun after hanging around home too much.

This is off topic but your sn just dawned on me. Do you drive a 1979 Duster? Dusters rule, however I prefer the 1969.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:14 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
If you take 80 to 27/218 it is, which I am assuming the OP plans to do since Mount Pleasant is the first stop on the itinerary. Actually a little less in drive time, but I'm figuring on a potty/refreshment stop along the way.

Personally I'd leave town on 163/63, stop at the Jersey Freeze for a shake, make Osky my first official stop, then take 92 to Sigourney (still not feeling the love for that stop, though) and meander south on 149, east on 78, then south on 1 to Fairfield, then once everything to see has been seen head east on 34 to Mount Pleasant. After taking in the Iris City either head home on 34-63-163 or 27/218-80, depending on whether or not it's worth the extra 45 minutes or so drive time to see different country on the way back.
It may be a 3 hour trip on I80, but that is still completely out of the way. You are driving straight east then straight south as opposed to a diagonal line straight there. If the OP wants to see small town life, taking the interstate is not the way to do it anyway. HWY 34 connects them all.

I'm in Des Moines now but I am from Burlington and am very familiar with small towns in that corner of the state. I have also made the trip many times ansd I80 is so mind-numbingly boring I never take that route. The only plus is if you are making a very long trip the interstate has bathrooms every 30 miles or so. But for sightseeing? Never.

If you have time and have not been there you might consider an extra 30p minute drive to Burlington to see the Mississippi River, Snake Alley, Crapo Park, etc.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
It may be a 3 hour trip on I80, but that is still completely out of the way. You are driving straight east then straight south as opposed to a diagonal line straight there. If the OP wants to see small town life, taking the interstate is not the way to do it anyway. HWY 34 connects them all.

I'm in Des Moines now but I am from Burlington and am very familiar with small towns in that corner of the state. I have also made the trip many times ansd I80 is so mind-numbingly boring I never take that route. The only plus is if you are making a very long trip the interstate has bathrooms every 30 miles or so. But for sightseeing? Never.

If you have time and have not been there you might consider an extra 30p minute drive to Burlington to see the Mississippi River, Snake Alley, Crapo Park, etc.
That sounds great. Burlington was also in mind, I wasn't sure if I was going to have enough time to add it in one day. I thought I was going to have to do a second trip cuz Bellevue was also a town I was interested in checking out.

If you could think of some other things around those areas, I'd be open to checking it out. Your suggested routes definitely sound good.. Thanks a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa