U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 05:12 AM

17 posts, read 67,844 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if Dubuque is conservative or liberal??? After reading the stats, it seems to be a very Catholic area, and yet the voting went to the Dems. Just wondering as our family is considering a move to the area. Also, any input on the best towns located near Dubuque where small acreage can be purchased?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 01:49 PM

2,796 posts, read 5,476,078 times
It's pretty liberal when it comes to the labor unions. But other than that people seem pretty conservative. They have the lowest property tax rate in the state when compared to similar sized towns. It is a blue collar town without a doubt.

I think a better way to describe them would be strong democrats as opposed to a bunch of flaming liberals, like in Iowa City

When the week is done people go hunting, drinking, mudding and then to church on Sunday

Old 07-24-2007, 10:47 AM

Thank you for the info on Dubuque. I'm happy to hear that it is a fairly conservative town - as I would nix the area if it weren't. We will be planning a trip there soon and hope we find it as expected.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:18 PM

100 posts, read 491,268 times
I live in Dubuque, and can tell you that the city is definitely "mixed" politically-speaking. Its true that Dubuque votes Democratic consistently, but as zz4guy said, its not what you would call a "crazy liberal" area! The city does have a strong blue-collar/union history, and so I see it as voting Democrat more out of tradition than true identification with the party. Dubuque is undoubtedly dominated by Catholics, though, so there is a great deal of SOCIAL CONSERVATISM in the area. The church exerts a strong influence on many aspects of life here, from hospitals, to no-red-meat-on-Fridays-during-Lent, to the parochial school system. However, Protestants are well represented, too.

If you're considering moving here, I would not be intimidated by local politics. I myself am a strong, conservative Republican and have had no problems. As I said, there is a great deal of social (and fiscal) conservative tendencies in the city.

If you're looking for acerage outside of the city proper, I would check out towns to the west of Dubuque (Asbury, Epworth, Peosta) as they are currently enjoying a great deal of growth and are convienent to many city services/schools/etc... Also, check out Sherrill, Iowa, to the city's north, as there is a great deal of land available there, too. I would say, as a general rule, try to get something in Dubuque County, and consider Illinois, Wisconsin, or other Iowa counties only as backups. Most shopping areas, parks, and things you'll need are in the West Side of Dubuque, and so I'd keep that in mind when looking to buy.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:50 AM

Default Dubuque

Thank you so much for your input on Dubuque - it was a tremendous help to our decision. We are looking forward to visiting your area soon and hopefully purchase property.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:49 AM

5 posts, read 34,230 times
Default Dubuque area

Since Dubuque connects to Illinois and Wisconsin your options are open. Wiconsin is wide open for land, Dubuque is getting limited as well as Illinois. Depends on if you want to commute. Schools systems are great! Overall crime rate is low. I am a lifer and wouldn't think of rooting anywhere else.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:04 AM

209 posts, read 1,007,018 times
Dubuque is definitely democratic.

I agree with what "dubuquer" said about land becoming more and more limited in the Dubuque area. Especially in areas like Peosta, and Asbury.

I would look for land in Bellevue, in Jackson County, 20-30 minutes south of downtown Dubuque, and I would also try to look in the Peosta/Epworth area, Peosta and Epworth being 10-15 minutes west of Dubuque.

I'd say you wont find much luck in Asbury, 3 or 4 minutes west of DBQ.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:54 AM

209 posts, read 1,007,018 times
DBQ is LIBERAL without a doubt.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:00 PM

4 posts, read 8,555 times
Hi,

I just received a job offer with IBM and will be relocating to Dubuque, IA from Colorado! If you had to describe the city and different surrounding areas, how would you 'generalize' the areas? Old? New? Close to shopping? Fresh? "Bad part of town" etc...

Where are cheaper homes, but yet great neighborhoods? What are the commutes in these locations?

Thank you for all your help!

Old 09-11-2012, 05:46 PM

11,156 posts, read 22,299,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnfiat View Post
Thank you for the info on Dubuque. I'm happy to hear that it is a fairly conservative town - as I would nix the area if it weren't. We will be planning a trip there soon and hope we find it as expected.
That's funny cause I was reading the previous posts and thinking the exact opposite!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa